Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 862922 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5200 on: 07 July, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »
Aldi "pro" top and sleeveless base layer, both in large.
Base layer is tight fitting and stretch (just as well). Says seamless on it, but definitely has seams across the tops of the shoulders.
Top is thin breathable material, but not all that stretchy. It fits me reasonably well across the shoulders, but is a bit baggy around the middle. I don't really understand why the supposedly same size garments from the same place have significantly different torso sections.  ???
Not yet ridden either, just tried them on.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5201 on: 07 July, 2017, 04:46:23 pm »
I have a lot of medium stuff, and one Italian large jersey that is tighter than any of the mediums. Meh
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5202 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:26:59 am »
An Iwanson gauge, so I can measure the (remaining) thickness of my rims.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5203 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:36:19 am »
An Iwanson gauge, so I can measure the (remaining) thickness of my rims.
I have one of these - how do you know when thin is too thin, thobut?
I've measured the two rims I've had explode, at the point where the rim has split -  but, on an un-split rim, I've found I can get a more accurate result using two unused drill bits and a digital vernier - subtracting both of the drill bit diameters from the reading on the gauge.

« Reply #5204 on: 12 July, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »
I'm sure I've seen 0.7mm suggested as a reasonable working limit, and think it was in something written by Chris Juden. Certainly that's what I've measured the noticeably concave Open Pro I'm just about to replace at.

As for tools, I use a bent bit of broken Brompton spoke in place of your two drill bits.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5205 on: 12 July, 2017, 11:10:19 pm »
Sadly I don't have a digital very-near (hangs head in shame), so seven quid for an Iwanson seemed a good bet. I do have an  actual (plastic) set of very-near calipers, but I suspect their accuracy isn't great. They were a giveaway at an exhibition some years back.

s to thickness, I was thinking 1mm,  subject to pressure testing and measuring my worn front wheel.

« Reply #5206 on: 13 July, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
Just had delivered a very bling dynamo wheel from that lovely Mr Conway  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5207 on: 13 July, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
I'm sure I've seen 0.7mm suggested as a reasonable working limit, and think it was in something written by Chris Juden. Certainly that's what I've measured the noticeably concave Open Pro I'm just about to replace at.

As for tools, I use a bent bit of broken Brompton spoke in place of your two drill bits.
If memory serves my split rims were ~0.6mm at the point of rupture - this was shortly after having bought the tyre pressure up to ~ 7 bar - which probably exacerbated things...
On that basis, your 0.7 mm would be within a (safety) margin.
Also, (Tim) don't be dismissive of the accuracy of your plastic verniers...
They're generally pretty good.IME.
At the end of the day, we're not making parts for Concorde or the Space Shuttle...

« Reply #5208 on: 18 July, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
I just bought an SKS Spaero Duo Head Double Action mini-pump.

It has a nice double ended pipe, to allow use with any sort of valve, and a slide on handle.  It's partially made out of metal, and seems rugged enough.

Having had several mini-pumps die, being bashed around too much in the bottom of my commuting pannier, I'm going to get a short section of acrylic tubing and some end-stops, to protect it from too much damage.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5209 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
A NOS 13-21 Hyperglide 7 speed cassette for the Ron Cooper.  A proper racing cassette.  Rule 5 applies to getting up hills*.

*ride fixed for a year and 39 x 21 is enough to climb anything
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5210 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:54:34 am »
I just slightly bent a chainlink on my singlespeed commuter, which means it's clicking, and I think its life is probably up.  I haven't been particularly good about oiling this chain, so I'm suspicious about what condition the chainring and freewheel are in, so on the assumption that they're knackered, I've bought a replacement set off of eBay.  For £26, they're useful to have in stock anyway.

So, a 44T 130BCD System EX Fixie Track Chainring for £14 and a 20T Sturmey Archer Single Speed Freewheel for £12.  Even with poor maintenance, £32 every couple of years isn't too bad an expense (a new chain is about £6, but I have that already). :D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5211 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:48:13 pm »
Sort of.  Indeed I've ended up with what I went shopping for, but no money left my hand.

Go to Halfords in search of tracknuts, F & R, for my fixer.  Can't see them on the shelf, so ask the helpful woman behind the counter. Yes, she says, they're out the back. They've got Rear ones but not Front. Fine, I'll take them.

She reappears with Front, not Rear, as she'd misremembered. Still fine.  Her colleague does the scanny stuff at the till, whilst I'm ready to show them the web price (£2.99) in case of discrepancy.  And there was discrepancy, as they show up as one penny a packet.  Somewhat puzzled, I ask why. They'd bought a load in to fix peoples bikes who had assembled them themselves, and done a poor job, but had too many, so they're obsolete and marked at 1p per packet.  Ooh goody.  Except I only have a tenner.  No, it's OK she says, there's a 2p piece sitting on the till, they'll use that.  I complement them on their business model, but suggest perhaps it's not sustainable.

« Reply #5212 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »
A new front brake. Shimano Deore disc caliper.
I find these to seep oil after a while, which trashes the pads obviously.
I'll fit it tonight, and take the chance of using the old one to see how my skills are at renovation.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5213 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:41:32 pm »
Sort of.  Indeed I've ended up with what I went shopping for, but no money left my hand.

Go to Halfords in search of tracknuts, F & R, for my fixer.  Can't see them on the shelf, so ask the helpful woman behind the counter. Yes, she says, they're out the back. They've got Rear ones but not Front. Fine, I'll take them.

She reappears with Front, not Rear, as she'd misremembered. Still fine.  Her colleague does the scanny stuff at the till, whilst I'm ready to show them the web price (£2.99) in case of discrepancy.  And there was discrepancy, as they show up as one penny a packet.  Somewhat puzzled, I ask why. They'd bought a load in to fix peoples bikes who had assembled them themselves, and done a poor job, but had too many, so they're obsolete and marked at 1p per packet.  Ooh goody.  Except I only have a tenner.  No, it's OK she says, there's a 2p piece sitting on the till, they'll use that.  I complement them on their business model, but suggest perhaps it's not sustainable.

And you got home to find they were 5/16"...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5214 on: 21 July, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »
Wera hex key set. I figured they are my most used tool for the bike, so worth getting a decent set for the shed. And they are colourful.

An Alpkit bag bundle - 2 stem cells, and a top tube bag. Not sure what bikes I will use them on, maybe 1 bag on each, but I'm sure they will be handy.

And a Bontrager bottle cage. The colour is described as "roarange", is that really a word?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5215 on: 21 July, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
And a Bontrager bottle cage. The colour is described as "roarange", is that really a word?

Only if you're Scooby Doo.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5216 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »
... Spaero Duo Head Double Action mini-pump ...

Interesting - if probably NSFW.

Now - have you bought any cycling stuffs??

p.s. excellent use of images-in-tables  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5217 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:47:48 pm »

Some handlebars, handlebar tape, and mudguards, which together with the chainring and freewheel that I bought a few days ago, are going to give me plenty of work to do next weekend !

I hope the Giant Speedshield mudguards are going to be able to be fitted to my commuter, which has poor clearance for mudguards.  These look promising for this type of problem, but frames and forks with little clearance are often "interesting" to fit mudguards too.

« Reply #5218 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:11:32 pm »
... and a new set of brake levers.

At least these won't involve much extra effort, since the old ones will have to come off anyway, when the handlebars are changed.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5219 on: 24 July, 2017, 10:37:59 am »
A couple of pairs of cycling socks from the new Aldi in Faringdon.   Ergonomic cycling socks?  Ergonomic?  Socks?   Not only that but A wind proof panel on the front of ankle socks? Eh? 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5220 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:18:42 am »
A pack of Zipvit rhubarb & custard gels
A pack of Zipvit uncoated chocolate bars
A tribag (because I'm sick of used gel wrappers oozing down my leg for 100 miles)
A new tyre for the disc wheel

Can you tell it's long distance TT season?

« Reply #5221 on: 25 July, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »

Any good?

There are a lot of citrus flavour gels out there, and they can be a bit acidic to eat.  Torq also do a Rhubarb and Custard flavour, which is quite tolerable.

The Zipvit ones seem to get reasonable reviews from people, and appear to have some interesting flavours, as well as being a bit larger than many packs, which may or may not be a good thing, but certainly appears to give better value for money !

« Reply #5222 on: 25 July, 2017, 04:04:45 pm »
Wera hex key set. I figured they are my most used tool for the bike, so worth getting a decent set for the shed. And they are colourful.
Are they good?
I convinced myself I should get a set, then I bought a cheapass set of hex keys in Aldi. When I came to use them I realised that I've bought the imperial ones rather than the metric ones!  :-[ So now I'm thinking (again) I should buy some good ones which will last ages and fit properly.
Cheers
Duncan

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5223 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:26:55 am »

Any good?

There are a lot of citrus flavour gels out there, and they can be a bit acidic to eat.  Torq also do a Rhubarb and Custard flavour, which is quite tolerable.

The Zipvit ones seem to get reasonable reviews from people, and appear to have some interesting flavours, as well as being a bit larger than many packs, which may or may not be a good thing, but certainly appears to give better value for money !

They're my go-to gel, this is a re-purchase.  My feeding routine for long distance TTs has been the same for quite a while now: feed every 20 miles, cycling through one R&C gel (twice), one caffeine gel, one bar, plus coke and pineapple juice in the bidons.  The Zipvit gels are a bit bigger so contain enough carbs to feed me for that long, plus I find the R&C taste palatable.  I do intend to try changing to more bars and less gel, and to smaller gels (possibly Torq) taken more often, as I'm told that the body processes the sugar so fast that while I'm on the gels I'm probably burning through them faster than I eat them and starting to sugar crash before the next feed.  I haven't had time to properly test that approach though, so for my upcoming events I'm sticking with what I know.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5224 on: 26 July, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
A sprocket wear checker tool . . . . a bit of a luxury but it'll look good on the refettled toolboard (q.v.) - I was tempted by the Rohloff one (that works with other brands) but went for the slightly cheaper Unior one - checks sprocket wear on cassettes up to about 24T.

AND . . . I've made a tentative enquiry about a new carbon machine . . .

Rob