Author Topic: Wild Flowers  (Read 36721 times)

Wild Flowers
« Reply #50 on: 17 September, 2012, 09:04:16 am »
The first one is St John's Wort. Not the garden sort, the wild one. Again, a good year for it.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Re: Wild Flowers
« Reply #51 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:13:13 pm »
Any ideas for these?

May not be wild...  (Growing in geraniums)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #52 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
From the book to hand - the top one might be Hedge Woundwort : Stachys sylvatica.

« Reply #53 on: 21 June, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »
From the book to hand - the top one might be Hedge Woundwort : Stachys sylvatica.

Ah yes, well done. 

Found this...  http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/apothecary/hedge-woundwort

As its name suggests it has been used as a wound-healing herb and enjoyed quite a reputation in the past, as its other name, Allheal, suggests. Culpeper tells us that it is “inferior to none” in its ability to heal wounds. Although it is little used today it appears that it is a very powerful remedy that we should know more about. As well as being healing to the tissues, it also arrests bleeding and is an antiseptic. I am certainly going to make use of it myself as a first aid remedy.

RHS says

Hedge woundwort is one of our most attractive hedgerow plants. It has striking tall spikes of beetroot-red flowers that have white spots on the petals. This is a hairy perennial plant that gives off a distinctive sharp smell if crushed. The leaves, oval-shaped and toothed, lie in opposite pairs up the stem.

This plant is only suitable for larger gardens as it can be quite invasive. The common name arises from the old use of the plant in staunching bleeding. It is also said to have antiseptic properties.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #54 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:05:38 pm »
Wow, doctrine of signatures all over again. Blood red flowers for staunching bleeding.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #55 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »
Just replying so this thread features on my 'Replies to me' because it is so beautiful.

While I probably won't get around to contributing in any meaningful way, I will enjoy it, and this is my way of saying thanks to those who make it so.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #56 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:57:55 pm »
The machair in Clifden, Galway.

DSCF1744 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

DSCF1743 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

DSCF1742 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

DSCF1741 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #57 on: 21 July, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »