Author Topic: AAAnfractous 200 / Less Anfractous 200 / Nyctophobic 100 - 14th October 2017  (Read 6749 times)

Not really related to this particular Audax but you've got a choice of power meters:-

a) cranks
b) rear hubs
c) pedals (or bits that sit between the cranks and your current pedals)
d) pods (accelerometer based rather than strain gauge based)

and multiple price points in many of these categories.

Each have their pros and cons (cost, ease of transfer to another bike, accuracy, etc).

I've used PowerTap rear hubs (one geared, one fixed) on Audaxes for years.

The final category (pods) will probably be what we see most of on consumer level bikes in years to come (top end will continue to be crank based IMHO). Pods are cheaper, easier to install and transfer between bikes, derived L/R power split (so not perfect) and not as accurate as some of the others. DCRainmaker doesn't slate them either: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Didn't iBike try and do something similar to those Pods about 10 years ago?

There's also BB-based PMs, I owned a Polar chain-based PM, someone (Bebop?) tried to make cleat PMs, etc.

If you're going to spend money on a PM, get a proper PM - Powertap, P2M, SRM, maybe Qarq, InPower, etc.
All of the cheap ones are usually limited to guesstimating steady-state power at best and fall apart whenever anything peaky needs measuring and if a job's worth doing...

I'm waiting for the full bike-mounted aero test suite to come out...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Power meter and audax OMG. Next we will see people chasing times. I just love the countryside and keep my head up.
BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Power meter and audax OMG. Next we will see people chasing times. I just love the countryside and keep my head up.

All my bikes have powermeters. I'm hardly going to remove it to ride an audax.

*trades in wristwatch for SPD sandals*

LMT

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

As do I, the thing with a PM is that it allows you get around in the most efficient way, which in turns allows you more to love the countryside and keep your head up.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Meh
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Next we will see people chasing times.

Not sure what you mean by 'Next' - we already see folk doing that. Admittedly in my case it's normally the closing time1, but still ...

Control, pub, generally one of the two.

I just love the countryside and keep my head up.

Same here. The only thing on show on my Garmin is the map page. I don't bother looking at any data fields whilst riding Audaxes.

If you're not chasing a time (e.g. TT-ing) then data is for looking at afterwards (although I do occasionally have a sneaky look if I'm having a rough patch as it gives me the confidence that I am just feeling rough rather than my power dropping off completely).

Anyway, shock horror, people have different approaches to cycling Audaxes.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Change of pace. We had a fantastic day a-wheel. Swiss Hat organised perfect weather plus gave us the option of declining some of the hills via the Less Anfractuous route. Caught up with old friends plus chatted o some folks who attended the Long Distance Ladies night at Look Mum No Hands. Was great to get feed back and put faces to virtual reality names.

What’s not to like?

Change of pace. We had a fantastic day a-wheel. Swiss Hat organised perfect weather plus gave us the option of declining some of the hills via the Less Anfractuous route

What’s not to like?
I'll buy that. Didn't skip the hills though, I dream of hills back home. And left[home] just after dawn and got back before dusk - a autumnal day well used.

Bit of a contrast to what this Saturdays experience is going to be like, wonder if I can manage an air speed of 45mph, if not I aint getting to the finish.