Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Kit  (Read 54508 times)

Re: Steve's Kit
« Reply #125 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:16:31 pm »
Ok, moving way slightly - bottom brackets.
I consider myself to be pretty competent practically, and I've just been looking at BB's for another bike.
Oh my goodness, where have I been? I am old school - sqaure tapered and octalink - and I've looked at one HT2 on LEL. And that's it.
But I had no idea how many different BB's you can get now. Heavens sake! Confusing or what?

Anyway [and I have gone through the thread], but I see that Steve has a Hope BB. Any particular type, model etc.?

All I seem to read about is how the newer BB bearings need replacing because of water ingress causing failure and corrosion etc
I'd be interested to know exactly what is the Hope BB Steve has on the Raleigh ? [Or maybe there is only the one and that's it].
Garry Broad

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #126 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »
The Edges 1000 & 510 don't use anything so quaint as memory cards or cables to transfer data.

The Etrex 30 is IPX7 rated.

I think Steve's pretty well covered on that side of things.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #127 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:18:22 pm »
Is it MicroSD? If so, he might be able to put it in his phone to get the data off rather than carrying a separate widget.

Yes I think so, it's about the size of my little fingernail, and the same as the one in my samsung smart phone, and indeed that would serve as a card reader (I think).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #128 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:30:31 pm »
Anyway [and I have gone through the thread], but I see that Steve has a Hope BB. Any particular type, model etc.?

All I seem to read about is how the newer BB bearings need replacing because of water ingress causing failure and corrosion etc
I'd be interested to know exactly what is the Hope BB Steve has on the Raleigh ? [Or maybe there is only the one and that's it].

the ubiquitous shimano-compatible ht2 bb made by hope. i'm using the ceramic version on my audax bike, but haven't clocked significant mileage yet to comment on the longevity.

« Reply #129 on: 30 January, 2015, 11:04:52 pm »

the ubiquitous shimano-compatible ht2 bb made by hope. i'm using the ceramic version on my audax bike, but haven't clocked significant mileage yet to comment on the longevity.

Right, ta. I'm a bit late to the BB party, mainly because I keep riding old clapped out bangers, but it's an interesting development what's happened - bigger crank spindle, moving the bearings outward [both good], but at the cost of smaller bearings,some fo which ahve obviously casued a few problems...so then make the shell bigger :-)
Steve must have confidence in the Hope BB [no issues yet AFAICS] or else he'd have just gone with a boggo sqaure-tapered thingie.
Garry Broad

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #130 on: 02 February, 2015, 07:54:56 pm »
Has he killed his first chain yet?  Or even two or three?  On an all-weather bike even a 1/8" chain is ruined after less than 1,000 miles, although main and town roads are a bit cleaner than country lanes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #131 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:51:09 pm »
Has he killed his first chain yet?  Or even two or three?  On an all-weather bike even a 1/8" chain is ruined after less than 1,000 miles, although main and town roads are a bit cleaner than country lanes.
Yes....more than one so far.  When I was with him on Saturday, I think he said they're lasting about 1,500 miles before a change.  He's really liking the Raleigh...really comfortable bike for the challenge & proving to be reliable.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #132 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:51:58 pm »
Shimano chain or something else?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #133 on: 02 February, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »
Wippermann was one of Steve's first sponsors.
http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/sponsors
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #134 on: 03 February, 2015, 06:37:58 am »

[/quote]Yes....more than one so far.  When I was with him on Saturday, I think he said they're lasting about 1,500 miles before a change.  He's really liking the Raleigh...really comfortable bike for the challenge & proving to be reliable.
[/quote]

I'd have expected a chain to last a damn sight longer than 1500 miles, even in these conditions - especially given that Steve is not whacking huge power outputs through it. What parameters are being used to change them?  Time on the bike / miles done  or a chain checker?

« Reply #135 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:05:58 am »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #136 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:06:19 am »

Yes....more than one so far.  When I was with him on Saturday, I think he said they're lasting about 1,500 miles before a change.  He's really liking the Raleigh...really comfortable bike for the challenge & proving to be reliable.

I'd have expected a chain to last a damn sight longer than 1500 miles, even in these conditions - especially given that Steve is not whacking huge power outputs through it. What parameters are being used to change them?  Time on the bike / miles done  or a chain checker?

At a guess, a planned preventative maintenance schedule?

« Reply #137 on: 03 February, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »
3x chains, = 4500, then chain + cassette @6000. IIRC

« Reply #138 on: 03 February, 2015, 12:54:13 pm »
3x chains, = 4500, then chain + cassette @6000. IIRC

I generally work on 3 chains to a cassette but even pushing my weight I only change chains about once every 3-3500 miles.

« Reply #139 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »

I seem to recall a mention of chain skipping.

« Reply #140 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:34:59 pm »

I seem to recall a mention of chain skipping.
2nd chain at 4000 miles produced some skipping on the smaller cogs so the cassette was changed the next day

Steve's probably still riding his 2nd bike that he switched to last Thursday ..... this will soon skew our armchair calculations

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #141 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:37:21 pm »
Steve is spending a lot of time on flat ground, so is only using a few sprockets most of the time, increasing the wear on those cogs. Most of his distance is in crappy weather, often on gritted roads, and you know how that kills chains.

In any case, there is not a lot of point in squeezing a few hundred extra miles out of a chain. It would only be an extra couple of days.

TGS

« Reply #142 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:52:08 pm »
Surely, a lot of this extra weight to be carried could be avoided by using non-rechargables?

I've just received my Bolse charger. 371 grammes including the mains lead for the weight weenies amongst you.

« Reply #143 on: 08 February, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »
Steve’s Raleigh Sojourn frames seem very similar - identical as far as I can see going by the dropout, lug and fork designs - to the Jamis Aurora I had for a while. A decent ride although I found it a bit short: toe overlap was an issue, albeit with larger tyres than Steve is using and size 12 shoes.

It’s going to be a very stern test for the disc fork, even if there are 3 bikes to share the miles.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #144 on: 08 February, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »
Some people aren't troubled by toe overlap. I'm one and Steve has ridden many miles on shorter fixed wheel bikes.

« Reply #145 on: 08 February, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
I’m not overly bothered by a bit of toe overlap, but I think it is best avoided in a bike that’s intended for loaded touring (as i had envisaged the Jamis to be). Steep hills, heavy bike, with a bit of weaving... awkward with toe overlap. But for Steve’s purposes it matters not a jot, and the frame geometry may be different in any case. I’d bet it’s made in the same factory though.

« Reply #146 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:49:35 am »
Toe overlap and clipless is not a good combination, in my opinion.

I ride toe overlap and platform pedals, which is OK because I can withdraw the overlapping toe when necessary.

Even so, I've sill clouted the mudguard a handful of times.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #147 on: 10 February, 2015, 05:47:12 am »
As I say, some don't care as they don't find it to be a problem. I have overlap with the mudguard of my fixed and I mostly track stand at lights during my London suburban commute.

« Reply #148 on: 10 February, 2015, 08:22:18 am »
As I say, some don't care as they don't find it to be a problem. I have overlap with the mudguard of my fixed and I mostly track stand at lights during my London suburban commute.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and this is yacf, so hey, correct me even if I'm not wrong) but I would have thought toe overlap and trackstanding is a sub optimal configuration option

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #149 on: 10 February, 2015, 08:28:42 am »
It simply isn't a problem. My toe hits the mudguard occasionally but doesn't cause a significant drama. I'd be more annoyed with having a good-handling geometry compromised to avoid overlap. I need to have a bike that steers well at speed or with the rear wheel stepping out. What happens when I'm stationary is meaningless.