Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333606 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1975 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:41:21 am »
The Bath Ales Gem bitter ran out in the Backstage Bar at Womad mid afternoon yesterday.

That's not a problem; it's a diaster.

how did you cope? Don't leave us in suspense, this should have made the headlines.

I’m afraid I didn’t cope.

So much so I’ve only now been able to return to this thread.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1976 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:46:20 am »
Got back yesterday afternoon to find one of the smoke alarms giving a low battery bleep. No spare battery and I couldn't be arsed going out again so risked fiery deth last night with only one working smoke alarm.

Don't get me started on smoke alarms.

I got so fed up with the design flaws of the handful of consumer-grade alarm options[1] that I've installed a proper fire alarm system with a single power source in a central panel (and enough intelligence to tell you exactly which part of the system is causing faults/alarms).  This has greatly improved my ability to both sleep at night (no more triangulating bips at 4am) *and* ignore the neighbours' toast alarms.

You're lucky it was bipping  a) consistently  and  b) in the afternoon.

[1] Limited choice if you want one that supports vibrating/flashing alerters for deaf people, so it comes down to "10 year batteries that last a year or two" or "expensive and prone to false alarms"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1977 on: 26 August, 2019, 04:24:06 pm »
IME CO detectors get through batteries more quickly than toast alarms.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1978 on: 26 August, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »
IME CO detectors get through batteries more quickly than toast alarms.

The Fireangel '10 year' ones seemed about as bad as each other.  Same shitty lithium battery, lots in common to the design.  I'd much rather have had ones powered by 9v batteries (you could then replace all the batteries once a year and have done with it), but that wasn't an option.

A CO sensor has a more limited lifespan than a typical smoke detector.  If the lithium battery can't outlive the sensor, someone's cocked up IMHO.

We now have a combined CO/thermal fire detector in the kitchen - still has a ~5year lifespan, but no battery to worry about (other than the one in the panel).  It got a flaming grillpan test last week, because stray cheese.

« Reply #1979 on: 02 September, 2019, 07:07:49 pm »
My sack trolley is too short for me to push it comfotably for more than a few yards

AND the Leffe brewery has started using crown corks onits bottles instead of champagne style corks; the trouble is that my bottle opener doesn't fit...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1980 on: 02 September, 2019, 11:04:06 pm »
My soup was not sufficiently warmed this evening on my way to Dubai.

More unhappily, I haz been demoted from first to biziness on the way back because they changed aeroplane
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1981 on: 03 September, 2019, 04:40:52 pm »
The heated toilet in my hotel room in Ofuna was just too warm.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1982 on: 04 September, 2019, 05:09:13 am »
Oh for goodness' sake!  This is a double bed, but there's only one bedside light and it's on the wrong side.  Civilisation is doomed, do you hear!!?!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1983 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:26:59 am »
More unhappily, I haz been demoted from first to biziness on the way back because they changed aeroplane
You should be so lucky!  When I was business travelling they wanted us to have the outside seats....

« Reply #1984 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:11:42 am »
Works normally very quiet Friday but it always gets busy at 3pm so don't get to listen to Gardeners question time

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1985 on: 04 September, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »
I bought a corner sofa from IKEA for the TV room. When it was delivered, there was a problem with one of the cushions, which failed to expand (they come vacuum packed and need a couple of days to reach their full size), so I rang and asked for a replacement.  No problem, I was told.

First they delivered some seat covers. Very nice, but superfluous.  So they sent another van to collect them.  Then they attempted to deliver two boxes of base sections, which I rejected as they were obviously not cushions..  Finally, I found someone sensible in customer service, who explained that their systems are so inflexible that they cannot replace a single part, only the entire item. 

Result: I have a new cushion, which seems to be expanding nicely. I also have an entire corner section in two F.O. large boxes, which I am now going to have to ask IKEA to come and collect. 

So, 5 van journeys to replace one cushion.

I don't think a great deal of profit has been made on this item.

Sofa looks nice, though.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #1986 on: 09 September, 2019, 08:35:01 pm »
We are having an extension built for a new kitchen so have packed away all non essential kitchen equipment  which apparently includes the wine decanter.....
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #1987 on: 09 September, 2019, 08:37:34 pm »
We are having an extension built for a new kitchen so have packed away all non essential kitchen equipment  which apparently includes the wine decanter.....
That's not a first world problem.
That's actually quite serious.

« Reply #1988 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:25:58 pm »
However two cafetières survived the cull

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1989 on: 09 September, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »
However two cafetières survived the cull
Presumably if the claret has thrown some sediment a cafetiere could be pressed into service as decanter/sludge strainer.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1990 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:33:33 pm »
There's no wifi in the breakfast room at this place.  What kind of a fleapit dosshouse have I ended up in?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1991 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:19:25 pm »
There's no wifi in the breakfast room at this place.  What kind of a fleapit dosshouse have I ended up in?

One in which people talk to each other at breakfast?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1992 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:05:24 am »
Today’s dilemma is to decide whether to just clone my phone when the new one arrives or whether to start afresh and download the apps as I need them.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1993 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:13:37 am »
Today’s dilemma is to decide whether to just clone my phone when the new one arrives or whether to start afresh and download the apps as I need them.

Download the apps as you need them, there's probably several on the old phone you haven't used since the novelty wore off after installing them

« Reply #1994 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:14:04 am »

The Horror, the horror......

ian

« Reply #1995 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:38:08 am »
Talking at breakfast is a horrible thing. But you know what's worse? People who think 'breakfast meetings' are a thing. Always organized by the sort of people who announce to anyone who will listen that they were in the gym at 5 a.m. and have that kind of glassy perkiness that you want to ram-raid with a JCB. I'll be sitting there watching my internal progress bar towards wakefulness stall at 43% while chewing my toast like a disconsolate cow and wondering if things will progress faster if I inject the bloody coffee directly into my heart like adrenaline, in fact, can I get adrenaline or at least something that isn't bloody homeopathic hotel caffeine? Then someone will ask me the sort of question that really shouldn't be asked before 2 p.m. and they'll all sit there and look at me as I make a bleurgh noise and drool nuggets of chewed up toast and coffee down my shirt. At that hour even attempts to move my mouth have to be telegraphed via a central Asian republic. Blah-gabba-gabba, I will explain through the toast mulch, bobba-gab-BOO.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1996 on: 23 September, 2019, 08:30:38 pm »

I'm certainly not going to start talking to people who are:

• total strangers, and
FOREIGNS

before I've had at least a quart of coffee.  That would simply be Un-BRITISH

Apparently USAnians have things called "prayer breakfasts".  O Lord, bless this mine bacon, and mine sausages, and mine eggybread, lest they offend thee and make thou, in thy infinite mercy, smite them with thunderbolts and make a mess on the carpet that some poor sod on minimum wage will have to clean up?

« Reply #1997 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »
Our Pizza cutter wheel self destructed. How do you cut a pizza with a knife?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1998 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

Con amore!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1999 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:27:57 pm »
use scissors.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.