Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437046 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #800 on: 25 April, 2018, 08:36:48 am »
Sorry Si that is a brilliant bit of Div'ing :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #801 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:00:12 am »
On the way out the door this morning, glanced at the table and thought 'What's that pile of clothes?', figured it out when I got out the shower at work  :facepalm:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ian

« Reply #802 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
In Brussels Monday. Computer running low. Reach in bag for adaptor, take out adaptor. Note the missing euro-noggin. Which is on my desk at home. Sigh. Decide to charge my phone instead. Reach in bag, take out adaptor. Note UK plug. Sigh. Decide to go to bed. Reach in bag for PJs. You know the story. At least I remembered pants. You have no idea how expensive pants are at the airport. I don't want designer pants, I tell them. They smile wistfully. It's that or commando and they know it. Honestly, I once spent over a hundred quid on a week's worth of underpants.

Good job it was just an overnighter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #803 on: 25 April, 2018, 01:56:30 pm »
Yeah. I spent an awkward week in Eindhoven once after finding out that the bayonet adaptor for my electric razor wouldn't fit Edison screw Dutch light sockets. One of the first Europeans to wear an Arafat stubble, I reckon.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #804 on: 26 April, 2018, 07:38:13 am »
In Brussels Monday. Computer running low. Reach in bag for adaptor, take out adaptor. Note the missing euro-noggin. Which is on my desk at home. Sigh. Decide to charge my phone instead. Reach in bag, take out adaptor. Note UK plug. Sigh. Decide to go to bed. Reach in bag for PJs. You know the story. At least I remembered pants. You have no idea how expensive pants are at the airport. I don't want designer pants, I tell them. They smile wistfully. It's that or commando and they know it. Honestly, I once spent over a hundred quid on a week's worth of underpants.

Good job it was just an overnighter.

Top tip: lots of stuff including i-thingies have hidden IEC C7 sockets (figure of 8 mains leads) requiring that you somehow slide out the UK plug to discover. Then, it is simply a matter of purloining one from the back of the TV or wherever. (note: in i-thingy case this works with the larger ones such as laptop adapters, not the basic built-into-the-plug iphone ones)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #805 on: 26 April, 2018, 07:47:25 am »
or ask the hotel staff, they've usually got a drawer full of adapters people have left behind, such as the one I left in Frankfurt a few years back.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #806 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:03:10 am »
I couldn't be bothered going down to reception, I'm sure they had one, it was a big Marrioty place up by Parliament. It hadn't however occurred to me that the noggin-less Macbook power adaptor would lovingly couple with such a generic cable. It's like Lady Sanderstead doing it with Boggins the footman.

Only annoyed when I opened my computer on the train to do a bit of work to note the 23% I'd acquired during the meeting had conspired its way down to 2% as the machine slept. So I went and got a couple of bottles of Duvel instead.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #807 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:11:53 pm »
. So I went and got a couple of bottles of Duvel instead.
And a much better use of train traveling time if I do say so myself :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #808 on: 26 April, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »
I just learned, at 3.32pm, that today is not in fact Friday.

Which explained why there was no one on the conference call I'd dialled into, I suppose.

Now I'm all Friday-ed up with nowhere for it to go.

« Reply #809 on: 26 April, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
'ere you might find this handy for this thread

ian

« Reply #810 on: 26 April, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »
I'd just forget it.

As a plus, it means I have another day to prepare for next week's Tour de Tidy Haired Thought Leadership™. Which I need, considering I've come down with a serious case of procrastination.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #811 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:51:35 am »
Slightly overfilled the bath.  Got in anyway, narrowly avoiding an overflow.  Carefully washed hair while keeping all the water in the bath - go me!  Reached to put the bottle of shampoo back and accidentally caused a minor soapy tidal wave - which soaked the bath mat and definitely moistened the towel that was on it, waiting.  Got out, wrapped myself up in soggy bath towel, wandered off to find another dry towel and went back to the bathroom with the somewhat moist one to dry the floor because slip hazard alert.

Slipped and went base over apex in the doorway on the way in.  Ow.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #812 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:32:29 am »
Ouch!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #813 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:16:27 pm »
Boil kettle, put Brown Drink granules in mug.  In tea mug :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #814 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:25:07 pm »
Just bought Mrs F a new iPad, will be delivered tomorrow.

But she wants an iPad Mini :facepalm:

So I now have 2 iPads arriving tomorrow. I'll be up a ladder with a paintbrush so I hope whoever answers the door rejects the correct package.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #815 on: 28 April, 2018, 12:58:08 pm »
Turned to say something over shoulder to Mrs. T and walked into the doorpost. Forgot what I wanted to say, too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #816 on: 30 April, 2018, 02:30:10 pm »
I'm currently making a cigar-box guitar, but in the absence of a cigar box I'm making that too. Dead simple: 5mm ply, two short sides, two long sides, a top + bottom and a few blocks to reinforce the corners.

So: I cut the sides and put a notch in one of the short ones to take the neck. Having done this, I realise that in the best tradition of "measure once, cut twice" I've been & gone & put it off-centre. Drat. But there's a handy piece of ply lying on the bench so I take that, cut it to length, mark it up properly this time, double-check it, and cut out the notch. Fine.

Then I take the blocked-out neck and try it in the notch - yo, dead centre - then do a dry-run assembly with the sides: two short ones, two long... er...

That's funny, one of the long sides has disappeared. It was on the bench just a minute ago...

I really do need to retire.

Oh, wait...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #817 on: 30 April, 2018, 02:55:38 pm »
Thought there was only me that was that daft.

reassured now...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #818 on: 01 May, 2018, 11:34:26 am »
Anent the above: I'm standing in the shop today, working away on the neck with my wonderful Veritas spokeshave when the missus comes in and says "oh, that's lovely!"  I step back proudly so that she can see all of it, whereupon she says "no, I meant all the curly shavings". :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #819 on: 01 May, 2018, 12:53:23 pm »
When you're tired of an accumulation of pleasingly curly wood shavings, you're tired of life.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #820 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:12:19 pm »
Oh, I agree. One of the most wonderful gadgets is the spill plane, which does nothing but:

https://youtu.be/3os1txIj5dA

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #821 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:22:38 pm »
Oh, I agree. One of the most wonderful gadgets is the spill plane, which does nothing but:

And now I know what a 'spill' actually is.  Always assumed they meant the bastard hybrid of a match and a lolly stick that we used to distribute fire to the bunsen burners at school.

fuzzy

« Reply #822 on: 01 May, 2018, 10:39:35 pm »

And now I know what a 'spill' actually is.  Always assumed they meant the bastard hybrid of a match and a lolly stick that we used to distribute fire to the bunsen burners at school.

I seem to remember my science teacher calling them a taper?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #823 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:01:49 am »

I seem to remember my science teacher calling them a taper?

I think they were called 'wooden splints' by some teachers.

I vaguely remember 'Pick Up Sticks' was also called 'Spillikins' by some.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #824 on: 02 May, 2018, 08:42:24 am »
I heard both spill and taper as a child. In the lab we used "splints". Apparently splint simply means a strip of wood.

I like the German word for them: Fidibus.