Author Topic: Is male and female cycling clothing that different?  (Read 3767 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Is male and female cycling clothing that different?
« on: 11 November, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
So I have bought an altura pink ladies cycling jacket, from halfords as it was £10 and I like pink.  The SO things it strange that I bought ladies clothing.  Is it that strange or odd of me? 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Is male and female cycling clothing that different?
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:03:53 pm »
I don't think so. The problems seem to be mostly coming back the other way - women commonly find that men's clothing fits very poorly, but if you find that the clobber fits you then chalk that up as a result.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:06:45 pm »
I'd imagine that as it's a jacket, it'll be woman shaped, with allowance for breasts and waist. But as it's a cycling jacket, it might not be, particularly if it's lycra. Lots of women seem to wear nominally-men's lycra jerseys, after all.

Liking pink is not odd IMO.

The garment I wonder about is socks. "Women's cycling socks" seem to be more common than "women's cycling jerseys". I'd have thought there isn't really much difference in shape between women's and men's feet. Also, that cycling-specific socks are a bit, well, special nerdery really.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:09:34 pm »
Are you happy with your new jacket? Yes? Problem solved. Next question?

A

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:13:24 pm »

It might be a problem the other way round. I mean for a woman who needs womanly shaped cycling gear, and who doesn't like pink. It sometimes proves very difficult to find non-pink gears!

A

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:14:54 pm »

It might be a problem the other way round. I mean for a woman who needs womanly shaped cycling gear, and who doesn't like pink. It sometimes proves very difficult to find non-pink gears!

A
Anodised cassette? That's bling! ;D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »
The garment I wonder about is socks. "Women's cycling socks" seem to be more common than "women's cycling jerseys". I'd have thought there isn't really much difference in shape between women's and men's feet. Also, that cycling-specific socks are a bit, well, special nerdery really.

Same reason there's "Women's" shoes;
Supposedly the average woman's feet are narrower for the feet of a man with the same length.

But feet are often stupid...
Or at least mine are...

Or is it the shoe sellnig system that assumes Boys feet go up to 5 and mens feet start at 8 and that all feet are symetrical that is stupid?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:52:42 pm »
Shoe makers..

Think the SO is intrigued by my dressing in 'womens' clothes

The altura jacket fits better than the ridge mens jacket.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:04:38 pm »
The pad in bibtights is a different shape

I got some cheap Gore windproof womens bibtights a few years ago.  Presumably they were reduced in price because there aren't many women my height

The pad felt odd so I removed it and used them without a pad

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:06:23 pm »

I have quite a bit of mens cycle clothing, purely as the womens stuff doesn't go big enough for my boobs. Cos apparently all women who cycle are flat chested pixies. Or at least that's what the cycle industry seems to think.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:13:32 pm »

Supposedly the average woman's feet are narrower for the feet of a man with the same length.

It's probably more likely to just be that socks are sold as a single size item. "Women's" socks are usually size 4-7. "Men's" socks are 8-13. I know this, because I'm a woman with size 8 feet. My socks don't last very long because I'm overstretching them.   

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »
On the subject of socks: I was in our local mountaineering shop (Tisos, for those that know it) and found a big box of half-price socks. Even better, they were the kind I really liked. There were small men's walking socks (something like size 5-7, although I don't remember the details, but the certainly fit my size 6 feet) and I got 3 pairs. There were also small women's running socks (much thinner, and ankle height rather than mid-calf). These went up to size 5, I think. Too small for me, anyway.

While I was paying I asked what the difference between men's and women's socks was - nothing shape wise, was the reply. So I think it is to do with size ranges. My husband has size 6.5 feet and says it is hard for him to get shoes that small. He bought some gloves recently and was surprised that he ended up with size medium because everything he buys is usually small. I pointed out that while at 5'5" he's a (reasonably) small man, he isn't a small person and if the gloves were just gloves for people then the small and extra-small ones would be more likely to fit women.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:02:05 pm »

It's probably more likely to just be that socks are sold as a single size item. "Women's" socks are usually size 4-7. "Men's" socks are 8-13. I know this, because I'm a woman with size 8 feet. My socks don't last very long because I'm overstretching them.

As another woman with size 8 feet, I don't think I own any women's socks.  I did have some with "fuck cancer" written on them, but I gave those to a (male, as it happens) friend whose need to fuck cancer was far greater than my own.

I think all my cyclcing shorts/tights are women's specific, in unobtainum short-legs-big-arse sizes.  I have a mixture of men's and women's jerseys and base layers, and find the waist tends to be slightly better behaved on women's jerseys (more important on recumbents than uprights, as a riding-up waist becomes a lump to lie on), but my shoulders:boobs ratio is such that most smaller men's sizes fit well enough.  (Interestingly, barakta's shoulders:boobs ratio is the other way round, so we both fit the same size jerseys.)

My jacket's a women's one, but I think that just means it's got pink bits and is specified in dress sizes.  I suspect the equivalent men's one (without the pink bits) wouldn't have been in the sale.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:14:58 pm »
I find ladies' cycling jerseys are shorter, which is not good when recumbenting and sporting a belly as it all flips up. I prefer men's jerseys as they are longer and the elastic keeps them from riding up under my hips.

I look awful in pink so ladies colours are hopeless for me.

My partner inherited loads of my cycling trousers recently - he is a man and quite happy to wear them. Because they fit, and are available. No-one notices!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:40:19 pm »
While I was paying I asked what the difference between men's and women's socks was - nothing shape wise, was the reply. So I think it is to do with size ranges. My husband has size 6.5 feet and says it is hard for him to get shoes that small.

Hm, Bridgedale indicate a fit difference, but then that could just be the size ranges.
as I say my feet are stupid, everyone assumed because I'm tall I should get X-Large socks for Christmas...

« Reply #15 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:55:48 pm »

As another woman with size 8 feet, I don't think I own any women's socks.  I did have some with "fuck cancer" written on them, but I gave those to a (male, as it happens) friend whose need to fuck cancer was far greater than my own.

Yeah, but I like socks with cats and unicorns and stuff on, which tend not to be in the men's range. Also, trainer liner length (i.e. not quite ankle length) is generally more likely in women's sizes than men's.

I think all my cyclcing shorts/tights are women's specific, in unobtainum short-legs-big-arse sizes.

I used to row. All women's rowing leggings are the same length, it is literally just the arse/waist size that increases with size. It's just assumed that you will be 5'10 to 6'. Fortunately for those of us who are 5'7, there's nothing special about the ankle end, so they can just cover half your foot.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:08:35 pm »
On the subject of socks: I was in our local mountaineering shop (Tisos, for those that know it)
[...]
While I was paying I asked what the difference between men's and women's socks was - nothing shape wise, was the reply.

Tisos in Embra? In which case you might well have been served by Junior the younger.

I'm not sure I'd trust his advice :-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:18:51 pm »

Oh I thought it was women's socks were thinner and pinker...

I've been using Darn Tough women's socks for several years now. Their lifetime guarantee has been rather good, I am most impressed.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:21:52 pm »
Catering for a foot shape difference would make sense in shoes, even without heels and styles and stuff, but not so much in socks, which are inherently somewhat stretchy and rather roundly shaped. I mean, if socks were really that much shaped, they'd be left and right specific, surely.

Anyway, Gatto's bought a jacket, where left and right are presumably symmetrical, at least shapewise. And it's pink and he looks good in pink. Or at least says he does!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:26:26 pm »
Catering for a foot shape difference would make sense in shoes, even without heels and styles and stuff, but not so much in socks, which are inherently somewhat stretchy and rather roundly shaped. I mean, if socks were really that much shaped, they'd be left and right specific, surely.

Some socks are left/right specific. Some are fitted. Tho it's rare.

Anyway, Gatto's bought a jacket, where left and right are presumably symmetrical, at least shapewise. And it's pink and he looks good in pink. Or at least says he does!

Some jackets aren't symmetrical, the zip is moved off centre, etc...

J
--

« Reply #20 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:28:25 pm »
While I was paying I asked what the difference between men's and women's socks was - nothing shape wise, was the reply. So I think it is to do with size ranges. My husband has size 6.5 feet and says it is hard for him to get shoes that small.

Hm, Bridgedale indicate a fit difference, but then that could just be the size ranges.
as I say my feet are stupid, everyone assumed because I'm tall I should get X-Large socks for Christmas...

Mrs Trekker and I use the same purple Bridgedale socks in Womens 4-6 because they fit us both as we both have size six feet.

Also, still on the walking theme we both have Scarpa boots, bought on the same day, mine are the mens version and hers the ladies. They are both grey with blue bits but hers has extra seam detail around the toe and are nautical grey, not marine grey*. We were 5 miles into a walk earlier this year when I looked down and noticed my boots didn't match and neither did hers!

*Red Dwarf joke, I don't know the exact shade of grey but hers are slightly darker.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 11 November, 2019, 04:46:04 pm »
Mrs Trekker and I use the same purple Bridgedale socks in Womens 4-6 because they fit us both as we both have size six feet.

Also, still on the walking theme we both have Scarpa boots, bought on the same day, mine are the mens version and hers the ladies. They are both grey with blue bits but hers has extra seam detail around the toe and are nautical grey, not marine grey*. We were 5 miles into a walk earlier this year when I looked down and noticed my boots didn't match and neither did hers!

*Red Dwarf joke, I don't know the exact shade of grey but hers are slightly darker.

I once had a girlfriend who had the same size shoes as me, getting ready to go out, we both spent 10 minutes trying to find the other boot of a pair, only to discover we'd both put one boot of the same pair on.

J

--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:07:27 pm »
In general, women have narrower shoulders, shorter torsos, broader hips, shorter, less voluminous feet etc than men.

Some 'male' stuff fits me better. Some doesn't.

My feet are nearly size 42, which is too long for women's socks, which fit 37-41 best, but are too narrow and shallow for many men's shoes.

Women's tops sometimes have scant space for shoulders & biceps and sleeves that are too short1. Boobage space is not an issue for me!

If something fits, enjoy it!

End of!

1) Actually some male clothing doesn't afford David sleeves of adequate length or freedom of shoulder movement.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #23 on: 11 November, 2019, 06:26:20 pm »

I once had a girlfriend who had the same size shoes as me, getting ready to go out, we both spent 10 minutes trying to find the other boot of a pair, only to discover we'd both put one boot of the same pair on.

J

Now that is funny.

« Reply #24 on: 11 November, 2019, 06:41:34 pm »
I bought some men's DHB bibshorts in the summer, because they were purple and pink (the women's version weren't as nice, colour-wise). They fit fine, though I was hoping the legs would be a little longer (they're longer than the equivalent women's ones, but still not as long as I'd prefer - I'm only 5'7" as well! ???).

I also really dislike the tendency of women's jerseys to have ridiculously short sleeves. I don't want a gap between sleeve and arm warmers! :facepalm:

Re: feet - boyfriend and I both owned similar pairs of (grey) walking boots, though mine were technically women's (and a size bigger). He wore mine several times by mistake, then when I got a new pair (because they were discounted and purple) I gave him my old ones. ;D