Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210586 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #150 on: 13 October, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »
me on Friday afternoon.

The trains were b******d by a signal failure so I had ridden to Wokinham, fluked a train towards home but had to get off one stop early as it was now not stopping at my prefered station.

So now I am riding home from the early station, only a couple of miles so no problem. Then I get to here only since google drove through a traffic calming scheme has been installed in the bottom of the valley. Now this is a nice decent down and then a climb back out the otherside. The traffic calming involves narrowing the road on both sides down to a single lane and give ways in both dirrections with a speed pillow thing in the middle. Again no issue as the cyclist can keep their momentum miss the pillow and proceed up the hill....

Unless of course you are overtaken on approach to the traffic calming, and here comes the stupid bit. Once the merc had passed me I expected it to slow a bit for the traffic calming but hoped for minimal retardation and loss of momentum...

No the biddy slowed to a crawl and I had to brake rather hard not to run into the back of her, on leaf debris, in the wet.  :facepalm: When the pedals of a fixie aren't turning and you are still moving forward it feels very strange.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #151 on: 13 October, 2014, 12:39:05 pm »
I'm not sure that's so much you being DOTD as the driver being JIAM.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #152 on: 13 October, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »
No I was too hopeful of maintaining momentum. She slowed a little at first whilst confirming the oncomming vehicle was giving way and I hoped she would continue through at that pace and closed up behind aiming to maintain my pace. However the driver in question then slowed further for the speed pillow thing and then I was in trouble as I had already closed up. Locking the rear wheel on the debris just further demonstrated my misjudgement.

« Reply #153 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:17:02 pm »
The pedestrian would have had priority in that situation and you and any other traffic should be giving way and waiting for them to cross before turning (https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183).
I was trying to give way to him, by slowing to a crawl & aiming to pass behind him.

Think of approaching a roundabout in a car. There is already a car on the roundabout. You aim to join the roundabout behind it. But the driver, after passing the road you are joining from, suddenly notices & you & reacts by slamming on his brakes & reversing into the space you were about to drive into.

That's effectively what happened. If he'd stopped dead I'd have gone behind him.  He was already past the line I was following.

The driving test nowadays can very easily be failed by not paying attention to people who might move into your path, even though you have priority. You won't get as far as the actual driving part: you'll fail on the computer-based test. No test for pedestrians, of course (& rightly so), but the Highway Code says this about what he was doing -
At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rule 170).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

red marley

« Reply #154 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:51:23 pm »
At lunchtime today I, as a pedestrian, cross a road on a green beeping pelican crossing. A youf onna bike ignores red and weaves around behind me prompting me to have to speed up a little to avoid a close encounter.

So far, so normal; youfs still have some growing up time, so I can put up with this without too many wasted heartbeats. However, just as I am dodging him, another bloke on a bike, this time in his 30s or 40s, reasonably smartly dressed, comes from the other direction, also crossing red while my little green man continues to beep plaintively and I'm stuck in the middle of the road. This time I have to stop sharply to avoid a collision.

In a despairing voice a call out "Red light!", more in a weary 'give us a break' tone than anything else. To which he shouts as he rides off "At least I didn't hit you!".

Still, at least he didn't hit me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #155 on: 29 October, 2014, 09:04:25 am »
Perhaps you should have hit him.  A right cross to the jaw.

"We do not condone inflicting GBH on random passers-by, dicks though they may well be" - The Mgt.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #156 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »
Accidentally catching the strap of a bag on his handlebars would have taught him a lesson.

ian

« Reply #157 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:07:32 am »
I think I mentioned the time a courier tried the pedestrian crossing wiggle outside Holborn station. A burly guy reached out and grabbed his messenger bag strap. Bike continued. Courier didn't.

« Reply #158 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:26:30 am »
Seen yesterday evening:
flat bars with silly plastic grips - check
No mudguards and wet dirty water splattered over rider, etc - check
No brakes - check
Riding on pavement - check
Fixed gear - negative. It's single speed. No brake, single speed, being ridden on the pavement by a fucking hipster 'dude'.

Areshole
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #159 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:32:38 am »
Seen yesterday evening:
No brakes - check
Fixed gear - negative. It's single speed. No brake, single speed, being ridden on the pavement by a fucking hipster 'dude'.

Areshole

York or Leeds? I have noticed, over the last two weeks that there appears to be 3 types of cyclists in Leeds:

1) The ones who do it properly, waterproof jackets, mudguards, well looked after bikes
2) The hipsters
3) Those on BSOs

Guess which two types are, usually, NOT on the road, but on the footpath.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #160 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:47:11 am »
Seen yesterday evening:
No brakes - check

Areshole

Phil

You're riding singlespeed, ergo you're half a hipster;) Bet you don't ride the pavements...

I was amused chatting to a guy one day about his singlespeed in Leeds. It was running 53:15 and when I asked about the hills he just grimaced and admintted they were 'dificult'

York or Leeds? I have noticed, over the last two weeks that there appears to be 3 types of cyclists in Leeds:

1) The ones who do it properly, waterproof jackets, mudguards, well looked after bikes
2) The hipsters
3) Those on BSOs

ian

« Reply #161 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:48:03 am »
Please bear with us while the fence around Hackney is completed.

« Reply #162 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
Areshole

Off-topically grabbing another chance to giggle:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80450.msg1701451#msg1701451

(Thanks, Mrcharly and Wobbly)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #163 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:51:02 am »
Seen yesterday evening:
No brakes - check

Areshole

Phil

You're riding singlespeed, ergo you're half a hipster;) Bet you don't ride the pavements...

I was amused chatting to a guy one day about his singlespeed in Leeds. It was running 53:15 and when I asked about the hills he just grimaced and admintted they were 'dificult'

2) The hipsters
3) Those on BSOs

Weeeeelll, I would be, had I actually found where the bike racks are at work (and no, I'm not leaving out the front of the building all day!)

There are a couple of cyclists in the office, shall ask one of them the next time I see him.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

red marley

« Reply #164 on: 31 October, 2014, 11:19:28 am »
Seen yesterday evening:

Really? No braking ability at all? I've seen my fair share of dooods on clown bikes, but never, as far as I am aware, freewheels with no brakes at all (bmx trail bikes excepted). That's going to cost them a fair bit in worn Vans (and dental repair work).

ian

« Reply #165 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:11:50 pm »
Seen yesterday evening:

Really? No braking ability at all? I've seen my fair share of dooods on clown bikes, but never, as far as I am aware, freewheels with no brakes at all (bmx trail bikes excepted). That's going to cost them a fair bit in worn Vans (and dental repair work).

I saw one going down Walworth Road once. Caught in traffic, I noted no brakes, fair enough I think, hipster fixie type probably planning to invade Peckham. Then we start moving again and I notice he's not pedalling...

About 200 metres further down the road I discovered how he stopped himself. It involved the back of a number 176 bus. Unconventional, I'm sure, but hey, that's counter-culture for you. I sure others simply rely on the beard-related air braking to regulate their speed.

Edit: and yes, I know it's mad. Who'd ride a bike at speed through traffic and red lights without a brake?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #166 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:13:53 pm »
And what speed was the parked car doing when it moved sideways into you?

Yes, I burst out laughing.

Yes, I called you a twat.

Next time you try to take a short-cut across our car park you'll think of not reading your kindle while doing so :facepalm: ::-)

Is your front wheel badly bent, mate?

Oh, and the owner of the now-dented Discovery outranbks you by quite some way.

Have a nice day now. :D
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #167 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »
Seen yesterday evening:

What about the ubiquitous BSO with both V-brake noodles unhooked to give clearance for the shockingly out of true wheels?  Unless you count BSO bearings and tyres as a form of braking, I suppose...

« Reply #168 on: 31 October, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »

2) The hipsters
3) Those on BSOs

Leeds.

The darker days have led to an increase in the number of salmon, ninjas and pavement surfers.

Category (2) cyclists don't really need brakes as with the busy pavements in leeds they seldom move faster than walking speed anyway.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #169 on: 01 November, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »
The rider who considers a laser of deth is needed on the rear of his bike in Fareham, even in daylight eye-wateringly bright, and wait for it, red, white?, red flashes at one second intervals. I hope I am never near your rear in any type of vehicle on a dark and rainy evening. Get a proper light mate!

« Reply #170 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:46:58 am »
the bloke repeatedly riding around in circles  - on a road just up from Marylebone station.  and when a couple of buses beeped him as he swerved across in front of them  -  he'd just smile and wave....  and then repeat!!  :facepalm: scary....
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #171 on: 03 November, 2014, 10:52:26 am »
One-man critical mass^ ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #172 on: 03 November, 2014, 10:55:51 am »
maybe!  ;D I thought at first he was just doing an ill-judged u -turn having missed his side-turn but then he just carried on riding in circles! & smiling!
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #173 on: 06 November, 2014, 06:22:15 pm »
Please wait while we complete the fence around Marylebone Station area . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #174 on: 07 November, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
Unlit bike?  Wong way up a one-way street?  Street in question one of three mainish roads that make up the Crystal Palace Triangle?

Congratulations, young lady.  Your Darwin Award will be delivered shortly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime