Author Topic: Brevet Cymru. May3rd 2014 - Chepstow  (Read 31984 times)

Mrs Blacksheep

Re: Brevet Cymru. May3rd 2014 - Chepstow
« Reply #325 on: 05 May, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »
Well looks like you all managed fine and dandy :thumbsup:

Blacksheep seems ok too :thumbsup:

I had a lovely weekend with the local club. In total from all over the UK,
2,152 rode around the Isle of Wright.

« Reply #326 on: 05 May, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »
Well looks like you all managed fine and dandy :thumbsup:

Blacksheep seems ok too :thumbsup:

I had a lovely weekend with the local club. In total from all over the UK,
2,152 rode around the Isle of Wright.

Your absence was noted, Mrs R. ;)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #327 on: 05 May, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »

At least I didn't tell you about the time a dog ate my poo.

Beware Rabbit: You'll never look at jack Russell again in the same light.  Still that's not the worst, don't ever get on to the topic of arm warmers with Flatus!

[/quote]

Also beware, if he ever asks you to hold his bike just ride away as fast as you can from him and don't look back.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #328 on: 05 May, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »

Saddle issues are more common on fixed (and hands). I was standing up on some downhills near the end.  Not for long though!

The above and long term respect for my knees are the reasons I'm hanging up my fixed wheels for audaxing.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #329 on: 06 May, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
I had driven down on the Friday evening with Rob G from Loughborough and we slept in my big red van in the Bulwark Centre car park. We had plenty of room as Fungus and mds101 were unfortunately injured and unable to ride. GWS guys!

Rob was on a mission with his carbon team road bike and I lost sight of him after the first mile. I felt quite good despite having only done 15 miles since our Easter Arrow and liked the diverted route to Hay.

I had a problem with my front brake bolt about 10 miles into the ride though. The allen key nut came loose, so my dynamo front light was rattling around. I stopped to tighten it up at the top of a particularly steep, narrow, bumpy and twisty descent, but by the bottom it was loose again. I was worried about it coming off altogether which could have resulted in the brake calliper and/or light going into my spokes and me going over the handlebars. I put the allen key in my pocket and tightened the nut up a few times on the way to Llandovery. I hadn't stopped to eat yet and pushed on as I wanted to ride as little in the dark as possible.

On the long climb after Llandovery, I got fed up with tightening that nut and tried removing the light bracket so that more thread went on to the brake bolt. I secured the front light to my brake and gear cables with a cable tie and some insulation tape. I could now enjoy the ride without constant rattling and worry on the descents.

I must have been going well because I caught up with Bikey Mikey and we rode in to Tregaron together. I had a flapjack and a quick chat with Ian H in the pub, before chasing after Bikey Mikey again. I really enjoyed the rollercoaster lanes to New Quay with the company of Mikey and others along the way. I was greeted with a warm welcome at the Mariner's Café and stopped for some beans on toast and a pot of tea. I hadn't planned to stop there because of the climb out, but needed some savoury food. I found the climb much easier this year and after the initial steep part, I was on the big ring. There were a few of us going well on this section and after the last climb Mikey got on his tri-bars and towed us down the hill at a blistering pace to Llandovery.

We all had fruit pie and custard at the West End Café and I popped over to the shop for some more Lucazade. It was going to get dark soon and I needed to align my front light as it was still just taped to my cables. This proved more difficult than I expected and it wouldn't stay where I wanted it, but I set off anyway. As it was the A40 at first, I could manage with my led back up. The dynamo light was brilliantly illuminating a small rectangle immediately in front of my front wheel and dazzled me on the sections where the road was painted. When I turned off onto the lanes, navigation became trickier as the back up light doesn't have a very wide beam. I didn't miss any turns though and was relieved to reach the penultimate control where there was another warm welcome from Ritchie and family. It was great to have some hot vegetable soup and tea as it was getting chilly outside and the rice pudding ensured that I would have enough energy for the last push to the finish. Mark told me that Rob was already asleep in the back of my van, having finished shortly after 2230.

I borrowed some scissors from the kitchen and tried yet again to align my front light. It was a good job I had a new roll of tape with me because I used about half of it. It was ok to start with, but soon started pointing to the left. This was freaking me out when I went past woods as I imagined Blair Witches running along in the shadows trying to ambush me at the next bend. At least my back up light was still pointing straight ahead. The roads became more familiar on the last stretch and I was glad to reach the last big hill and even more glad to reach the finish at about 0200. After a teacake and cup of tea I put my bike in the back of the van, put my onesie on and slipped into my sleeping bag for well earned rest.

After a few hours sleep we headed home where I found my wife had left a large portion of home-made veggie lasagne in the fridge. I just finished scraping the bowl when she arrived with her mum and found that I had eaten their dinner. Oops, luckily my wife is a very forgiving person.

Thanks to Mark for organising a great ride in tricky circumstances with road closures and double bookings to deal with, and thanks to Ritchie and family and the other helpers for looking after us. Also nice to have the fellowship of other riders along the way.

Next up BCM 600.

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #330 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »

Hi Ian

Just my thoughts - think these big events need more helpers (Sheep).

Especially when the one of the 'Sheep' namely (Mrs BlackSheep)
does not follow the Tup into the barn.

And there is a good chance this could happen more often, that Mrs BlackSheep
finds the next field has green grass. 

Mrs BlackSheep is not getting any younger and finding as so few sheep in the flock,
that the task is too long in the barn on her own. And so on this occasion left the Tup
to fend for himself. 

If there were more sheep then we could all do less hours
in the barn and have time in the green fields as well.  Playing with our
lambs and our lambs lambs.

Or as in this case cycling around the field (only the once), and enjoying
lots of liquid barley in the various troughs.  Followed by a cosy barn of the
hay to snore away as loud as Mrs BlackSheep liked.

« Reply #331 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:31:13 pm »

Hi Ian

Just my thoughts - think these big events need more helpers (Sheep).

Especially when the one of the 'Sheep' namely (Mrs BlackSheep)
does not follow the Tup into the barn.

And there is a good chance this could happen more often, that Mrs BlackSheep
finds the next field has green grass. 

Mrs BlackSheep is not getting any younger and finding as so few sheep in the flock,
that the task is too long in the barn on her own. And so on this occasion left the Tup
to fend for himself. 

If there were more sheep then we could all do less hours
in the barn and have time in the green fields as well.  Playing with our
lambs and our lambs lambs.

Or as in this case cycling around the field (only the once), and enjoying
lots of liquid barley in the various troughs.  Followed by a cosy barn of the
hay to snore away as loud as Mrs BlackSheep liked.

Perhaps you could offer free Blacksheep CC membership to helpers. But you will have to bully Mark into bleating loudly for volunteers. I'll guarantee that there would be many auks who'd be only too pleased to help one of our foremost organisers.

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #332 on: 06 May, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »
Think between us Ian we have probably managed to do just that
with this post :thumbsup:

« Reply #333 on: 06 May, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »
More than happy to assist at the start at Chepstow next year. I'll never ride this, but I always read the ride reports as it seems like an awesome ride.

« Reply #334 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »

HI
Just adding my thanks to Mark and the other volunteers for all their work, it was my first 400 and my first organised event , all my others have been lonely DIY's. But riding with others shows you just how slow you are!
hard work but after a lie down I decided it was bloody brilliant.

Thanks again Mark, looking forward to your 600 in June

Bill

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #335 on: 06 May, 2014, 09:07:43 pm »
Think between us Ian we have probably managed to do just that
with this post :thumbsup:

Carrying on the sheep thing...after riding last weekend I felt that I should help out on a ride but due to the imminent arrival of my second lamb, that offer may have to wait until next session.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #336 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:23:54 pm »
Perhaps you could offer free Blacksheep CC membership to helpers. ....................

:o :o :o  That might be counter productive, as we usually pay folk to join BlackSheep CC.

We did have another member a few years ago, They took the whole Black sheep thing very seriously - we never really saw much of them again.  :facepalm:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #337 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »
It took a while as my write up is nearly as epic as the ride was.

You'll be pleased to hear there are also some photos.   ;D

« Reply #338 on: 11 June, 2014, 12:55:14 pm »
The results must be out for this soon?
Does not play well with others

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #339 on: 11 June, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
BRMs, also being homologated by the ACP, take longer than BRs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #340 on: 12 June, 2014, 07:16:59 pm »
I had noticed that other BRMs I have ridden since this one had already appeared on the results, but I think the difference is that the other ones used the same route as last year, whereas, as we no doubt remember, Mark heroically managed to move one of the controls, and get a better hall to boot, just a few days before the start..

I imagine this forced change is the cause of the delay, and I'm sure Mr Blacksheep did everything to his usual high & efficient standard !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

HK

« Reply #341 on: 13 June, 2014, 11:04:26 am »
The BRMs are put on the AUK event list as provisional by our validation team who's reputation for speedy validation is legendary despite increased work load due to LRM validations. Once all the behind the scenes stuff is done, including Mr Recorder notifying Paris, they are then turned to confirmed. You'll note that the BC is already up on the results board.

I don't think the changes that were made at the last minute would impact on this greatly as distance to check points is derived via shortest route. To the best of my knowledge there is only one point at which you could short cut the Cymru and that has an info on it and wasn't altered.  So I don't think there are any route change checking issues via the Events team.

HK

« Reply #342 on: 13 June, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
The BRMs are put on the AUK event list as provisional by our validation team who's reputation for speedy validation is legendary despite increased work load due to LRM validations. Once all the behind the scenes stuff is done, including Mr Recorder notifying Paris, they are then turned to confirmed. You'll note that the BC is already up on the results board.

I don't think the changes that were made at the last minute would impact on this greatly as distance to check points is derived via shortest route. To the best of my knowledge there is only one point at which you could short cut the Cymru and that has an info on it and wasn't altered.  So I don't think there are any route change checking issues via the Events team.

HK

The BC isn't up on the results board as provisional yet as far as I can see, although the BCM is, and that was two weeks after.  I knew there could be issues with potential underdistance due to the changes in route so your comments are most reassuring. 

HK

« Reply #343 on: 13 June, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
No problem Rabbit. To the best of my knowledge having ridden more Cymrus than I'd like to admit too, you can't short cut this ride if you go to all the check points plus the one info.

From past experience there will be no issues with this ride getting validation, it will just take time.

HK

« Reply #344 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »
I'm hoping this is delayed sufficiently so I can claim it as my 2015 BRM 400 :-)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #345 on: 14 June, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »
Not at all- I want it for my AAA-SR 2014  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #346 on: 16 June, 2014, 10:14:50 pm »
Ok, call me puerile if you will but I read "Not at all- I want it for my AAA-SR" and heard this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IBiR9m3vY

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #347 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:00:10 am »
Ok, call me puerile if you will but I read "Not at all- I want it for my AAA-SR" and heard this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IBiR9m3vY

;D
:)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #348 on: 24 June, 2014, 11:59:15 pm »
Results are up  :thumbsup:
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #349 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:21:35 am »
Results are up  :thumbsup:

Yay!  Now officially have an SR  ;D