Author Topic: Yr Elenydd - 13th April  (Read 26276 times)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Re: Yr Elenydd - 13th April
« Reply #75 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
Just seen the weather forecast - it's going to be an AFD in waterproofs ride!
yr.no is currently less pessimistic, so there's still some hope isn't there? .......  please?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #76 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:23:15 am »
Thanks - I should now find it. I'm driving from Amesbury, departing 7pm (possibly earlier), so this is a firm offer of a lift if it might help anyone. 'Not sure if I'll need to camp over on saturday night (or indeed, if that's allowed) as I haven't a clue what to expect on this ride (I've only ever done one 300, and I started that with dysentery so I've no real measure of how long it will take me).

...it's going to be an AFD in waterproofs ride!
Forgive my naivety, but I'm guessing AFD means "all day" ??? Thankfully I've asked Amazon to deliver me a waterproof today (I don't have one). :-[

Is anyone willing to take an extra sleepy bag and let me use it in the hall (both nights)?
I've packed a spare sleeping bag but see above ref saturday night.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #77 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:33:33 am »
Despite the poor weather outlook I'd love to be there too.  It's a crackin ride whatever the weather

« Reply #78 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:46:06 am »
Thanks - I should now find it. I'm driving from Amesbury, departing 7pm (possibly earlier), so this is a firm offer of a lift if it might help anyone. 'Not sure if I'll need to camp over on saturday night (or indeed, if that's allowed) as I haven't a clue what to expect on this ride (I've only ever done one 300, and I started that with dysentery so I've no real measure of how long it will take me).

Forgive my naivety, but I'm guessing AFD means "all day" ??? Thankfully I've asked Amazon to deliver me a waterproof today (I don't have one). :-[

Is anyone willing to take an extra sleepy bag and let me use it in the hall (both nights)?

Any help welcome - am still planning to ride down on Friday as an ece by gps, but can't see me making it much before 1am, as I can't set off before 9am if I am going to do ride + event as a 600.  It largely depends on the wind (originally supposed to be from the North on Friday, but now less so) and how my back is - somehow I pulled a muscle raking up leaves the other day.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #79 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »

Camping's fine post ride too. We've got the hall until Sunday morning so just leave your tent up ready to fall into at the finish. Likely to be some room inside too - some are in the hall both nights but others just for Friday before heading for the delights of a shower at home / hotel. Basic breakfast on Sunday if staying (depending on how much food is leftover from Sat).

From last year only a handful finished before 10pm, and probably 40% after midnight so don't expect a quick ride, especially if the weathers poor.

simonp

« Reply #80 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:32:43 pm »
I notice it’s a free control in Builth Wells. Did anyone use the same cafe as used on The Elenith? I guess they won’t be expecting us so won’t be geared up for numbers. What alternatives would people recommend if that’s looking too busy? I think they have an outside tap, which is very handy.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #81 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »
Last year I stuffed myself at Shibdon, and knowing there would be cake at the Devel's Staircase, just used the garage shop on the left as you come into the town, as did akin OTP.

« Reply #82 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »
Most used the petrol station shops on the way into Builth.  There's a shop and petrol station on each side of the road.  Warning tho that the shop on the right hand side of the road is a coop and doesn't state 'Builth Wells' on till receipts. 
Eddington: 114 Miles

simonp

« Reply #83 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
In 2008, I stopped at Shobdon, but it wasn’t the fastest control I’ve ever used. 2010 and 2011 I bounced that and pushed on after eating some food I carried with me. But it might have contributed to my running out of energy after the Devil’s Staircase section in 2010. I got round about 2h faster, though. I do like that cafe in Builth Wells.

Chris S

« Reply #84 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:27:41 pm »
Dunno whether the route of Yr Elenydd goes the same way, but we used the Little Chef on the roundabout outside Builth, on last year's Cambrian 600.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #85 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:36:11 pm »
Now looking like we might have a mostly dry morning with a light southerly wind. Some rain looking likely for the afternoon/evening, but the silver lining should be an accompanying strengthening of the wind so the final sections should have a good tailwind.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #86 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »
I think the L Chef in Builth has a Burger King attached to it - I seem to remember eating there last year when we were cold and wet with an Italian chap who lives in Brighton (Danielli?) - staff and food were very quick/good and we really needed to sit down and warm up.

« Reply #87 on: 11 April, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »
Now looking like we might have a mostly dry morning with a light southerly wind. Some rain looking likely for the afternoon/evening, but the silver lining should be an accompanying strengthening of the wind so the final sections should have a good tailwind.

I'll go with this, thankyou Reg for bolstering my already witless optimism  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #88 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:10:15 pm »
Dunno whether the route of Yr Elenydd goes the same way, but we used the Little Chef on the roundabout outside Builth, on last year's Cambrian 600.

Yes, that’s on the route - useful to be aware, thanks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #89 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »
I notice it’s a free control in Builth Wells. Did anyone use the same cafe as used on The Elenith? I guess they won’t be expecting us so won’t be geared up for numbers. What alternatives would people recommend if that’s looking too busy? I think they have an outside tap, which is very handy.

If I stop for coffee / food in Builth then I always use the Drovers Tearooms.  But in the past on the Elenith I didn't stop in Builth except briefly to control, I kept going until the garage at Beluah and got a sandwich there

« Reply #90 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:24:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure we stopped at 'The Fountain Inn' last year (on the right, immediately after turning right on the high street from the bridge). They had a big log fire going, and cooked us a full English  :D
I normally would just ride through and not spend much time in Builth, but it was so cold last year and we were riding in sleet with snow visible on the hills!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #91 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »

Yep - good place to control.  As Revelinho notes there is a BK for anyone needing a burger.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

jaybea_auk

• Hasbeen
« Reply #92 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »
Yep - good place to control.  As Revelinho notes there is a BK for anyone needing a burger.

You need all the horse power you can get on the way to Tregaron.

« Reply #93 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »
 ;D

Chris S

« Reply #94 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

I believe we stopped there because someone wanted "something with gravy".  :)

« Reply #95 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
Builth Wells: As regards food, don't forget the Bakers on the right when you get into the High Street. I've always loaded up there before getting to the control. Not sure they do receipts though :-)

What a great ride this is. I'm yet to do the new version. Maybe next year. Safe riding to all.
Garry Broad

« Reply #96 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
I'm arriving by train.  Has anyone got directions from Shrewsbury station to Upton Magna (by bike!)?

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #97 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »
Builth Wells - there's quite a few options. In order as you go through the town...
- Little Chef, LHS shortly after the RAB @ 110.8k
- Heart of Wales Garage, LHS imm after the Little Chef
- Co-op & garage, RHS imm opp the garage above
- Cafe Fontana, LHS imm after the RH bend into the main (one way) street
- Fountain Inn, RHS almost opposite
- Drovers Tearooms, LHS a bit further along
- Cosy Corner Tearooms (the old Elenith control, unfortunately they didn't want to carry on hence why it's now free choice), RHS at the far end of main street.
All the above were used last year. Also banks on the main street for ATM receipts if you don't want food, and other shops along the main street.

I'm arriving by train.  Has anyone got directions from Shrewsbury station to Upton Magna (by bike!)?
Directions from Shrewsbury station...http://goo.gl/maps/03OjU Distance is 8.5km

- From railway station, exit car park SO @ TL
- Imm bear R (sp Telford A5) into one way system
- Bear R again (sp Telford A5) still one way system underneath rlwy viaduct
- L @ TL (sp Telford A5)
(As an alternative to all the above you can simply turn R out of the station walking on the pavement against the traffic underneath the rlwy viaduct)
- Go SO @ mini-RABs & TL until...
- (1.8k) 2nd exit @ RAB (sp Sundorne) B5062
- SO @ 2x mini-RABs
- (1.9k) 2nd exit @ RAB (sp Newport) B5062
- (0.4k) R (sp UFFINGTON)
- (1.2k) L @ end of UFFINGTON village (sp UPTON MAGNA)
(2.9k) The hall is on the LHS as you enter the village opp the church

« Reply #98 on: 11 April, 2013, 07:45:41 pm »
Thanks!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #99 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:12:25 pm »
Right, I'm all set for this. Will be camping, not sure when I'll arrive (I'm off all day so could turn up anytime).
I'm presume the pub in Upton Magna does food ?