Author Topic: Can you show a four day journey as a complete trip  (Read 1416 times)

Can you show a four day journey as a complete trip
« on: 24 April, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
I am about to do a four day cycle trip next weekend and will use my Garmin Edge 705. I would like to show the whole adventure as a continous journey. Do I therefore need to keep the Edge on all the time or can I record each day seperately and then combine them at the end.
I have an external power source and I have tracklogs too.
O'LEL what have I done!

Martin

Re: Can you show a four day journey as a complete trip
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »
if it's the same as an etrex they start a new track every day. If you have Mapsource (or presumably just the free Trip and Waypoint Manager that comes free with the device) you can open two instances of it on your pc and copy / paste each day onto a new file and save the whole lot as a new gpx (I often have to do this to validate fragmented DIY tracks)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »
The 705 has the concept of 'laps' or activity sections. Laps can be created automatically (by passing a lap marker), manually (by pressing the lap button) or implicitly (by resetting the device, i.e., power off/on).

When you come to upload the data to Garmin Training Centre you will see the activiity and subordinate laps. Within training centre you can view the activity as a whole or individual laps.
Exporting the activity as a gpx will cause all of the lap information to be written out to the file as a single track.

So, consider each days riding as a 'lap' within the overall activity.

The devil is in the detail of course. My experience of ths comes from using a 705 on audax and turning it off when I stop at controls so that effectively each stage is recorded as a 'lap'.

HTH

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »
After yesterday's interesting experience with my 705 I had two separate records of the 300 I was on (and a third section that wasn't recorded at all :( )

My software (Ascent for the Mac) will allow separate entries to be joined.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2011, 05:36:33 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information, I will experiment this next weekend.
I have gone into tracklogs and uploaded three files then gone into each one and edit, select all, copy and then past into one file to build up a complet ride. I have struggled to do this in garmin connect but will follow your advise by going through the training centre route.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:39:23 pm »
My 705 will record consecutive day's commutes as a single file, but these are short.

There may be a limit to the number of points recorded so hence a second file created.

What would concern me is if the memory is full and recording stops, or it writes over earlier data

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
My 705 will record consecutive day's commutes as a single file, but these are short.

In my experience, a new file is created each time the 'reset' button is held down, or the unit is plugged in to a computer. A new file isn't created if you use the right cable that just provides power to the unit.

There may be a limit to the number of points recorded so hence a second file created.

Nope, there's no limit to individual file size. A new file is created when you hold down reset or plug it in to a computer.

What would concern me is if the memory is full and recording stops, or it writes over earlier data

The early 705s had a 512MB internal memory, the later models have 1GB internal memory. (This is separate to the micro-SD card that is used to hold mapping data.)

My (slow) 400km ride last year produced a file that was 35MB recording a point every second and including HR, cadence and power (heart rate strap, GSC-10 cadence sensor and PowerTap rear hub).

So a 1GB drive should be good for at least 10,000km with those accessories. Without a GSC-10 or a PowerTap you'll probably get 15,000km in 1GB.

You just have to remember to clear out the drive every so often (and make a backup of the data).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."