Author Topic: New ICE two wheelers  (Read 3442 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

New ICE two wheelers
« on: 08 September, 2008, 09:04:20 pm »
Lest it has not crossed your radar yet, Inspired Cycle Engineering have brought out their much awaited two wheelers.

I am willing to test one in the interest of YACF membership.  Please forward donations... ;D

They do look rather nice, even if they do appear to have a passing similarity to a Pashley PDQ.  Unfortunately it would seem that losing 33% of the wheels from an ICE trike does not result in a 33% reduction in price  :( ;)

I will be awaiting the next edition of Velovision with even greater excitement than usual.

Re: New ICE two wheelers
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2008, 10:37:16 pm »
They've had one at Dtek for more than a year.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

alan

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:24:51 am »
I should not have looked  8)
Get thee behind me Satan :-\

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:30:51 am »
Saw the 20/20 at D/tek a while ago as WB says, Kevin(?) who also helps out Kevin at D/Tek has had one on trial for about the same time.
They also had the 26/26 at Bentwaters.
I still think the Bacchetta looks better though and is cheaper.

Rich.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:34:01 am »
Howard Yeomans has been "testing" the 20/20 version since the start of 2007.  Saw the 26/26 at Bentwaters.  Not really tempted - I think I'll save my pennies for some Dutch Soot Pr0n if I'm not too heavy for it :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:43:10 am »
There's a new carbon Aero/Corsa being tested at the moment somewhere in deepest Florida  8) no pics have been seen yet. But it has been rumoured that it may be seen riding around the Interbike show.
I'm to heavy at 105kg for these lightweight bikes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:58:19 am »
Yebbut the seat stays on those Bacchetta thingies precludes the fitting of a tailbox...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »
I'm not sure what ou mean by a tailbox but surely one could be built that allowed for the stays to pass through it?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:13:16 pm »
I would admit to pining for a Bacchetta Giro 20 but the ICE B1 looks more practical - plus from personal experience I'm very impressed with ICE's aftersales service - not sure I could count on the same from a company an ocean away.

I'm a bit on the small side for a B2 (26"/26").

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2008, 01:00:11 am »
The customer service is pretty good over here.
There was a problem with a batch of frames for the Cafe, take bike back to dealer swap for another.
Kevin at D'Tek even lent me a Giro 20 while my 26 was on order.
I've also had good service from the lads at Ice as well with any problems with the trike.
Basically the bikes are nearly the same design, so it would be a case of go and ride them and see what feels better.
Kevin will have both  :thumbsup:
I settled on the Bacchetta as I already have a PDQ ;D

Rich.

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2008, 06:29:58 pm »
I would admit to pining for a Bacchetta Giro 20 but the ICE B1 looks more practical - plus from personal experience I'm very impressed with ICE's aftersales service - not sure I could count on the same from a company an ocean away.

I ride a Bacchetta Giro 20 and saw the ICE 2 wheeler at Mildenhall. Practical wasn't a word that crossed my mind, at all. It was very beautiful.
If you can get to the Western edge of the West Mids and want a ride on my Giro pm me.
You might like to checkout Wayne Estes on crazyguyonabike. He is a serious distance tourist and has just switched from his Speed Ross (broken frame) to a Giro 20
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=4004&v=9G&term=wayne%20estes&context=all
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/guestbook/?doc_id=4004&v=574

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2008, 10:02:59 pm »
That'll be interesting how they compare as my Speed Ross, when front-faired, is the fastest bike I've ridden over 'average' terrain.

I had a quick browse of the ICE ones and they seemed pretty heavy for the price, the 26" might be hard to get your legs on the ground too.  Though the folding capability is a big plus.

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »
I actually thought that the "Cockpit" was very like the Speed Ross with the handlebars surrounding the knees.

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2008, 01:09:27 pm »

I ride a Bacchetta Giro 20 and saw the ICE 2 wheeler at Mildenhall. Practical wasn't a word that crossed my mind, at all. It was very beautiful.
If you can get to the Western edge of the West Mids and want a ride on my Giro pm me.
You might like to checkout Wayne Estes on crazyguyonabike. He is a serious distance tourist and has just switched from his Speed Ross (broken frame) to a Giro 20
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=4004&v=9G&term=wayne%20estes&context=all
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/guestbook/?doc_id=4004&v=574

Bugger
I've just glanced idly at the ICE site and that B1 now has 'tweener bars and proper camping kit carrying solutions available. That with equal size wheels, foldability, British made and a lump of cash I wasn't expecting makes it near irresistible  ;D
I've written to ask if they would do it with a Rohloff. There'd be less chain and a 'nicer' look about the chain line, I think.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »
I am unhappy to say that the "Recommended maximum rider weight of 16.5 stones" is a bit of a stopped for me at the moment!
Kevin Little, friend of D-tek Kevin, was here las week and telling me about the one he's had on test for a year or so. He really did rate it well so I would be tempted if it weren't for that HUGE pile of Lard that, mysteriously, appeared overnght.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »
It seems that the lugs are Rohloff compatible, oh dear.

« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2008, 10:36:41 am »
it is the same back end as the trice . if i could afford it i could fit a rolloff  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2008, 07:29:03 pm »
it is the same back end as the trice . if i could afford it i could fit a rolloff  :)

I've decided to stick with derailleur for two reasons:
1 - derailleurs are fixable on the road
2 - it's going to be hard enough to get the wife to part with the money for the bike as it is  :D

Guess which reason is the most important  ;D