Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109853 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #175 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:50:09 pm »
Congratulations and congratulations
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #176 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:58:53 pm »
Younger daughter is currently on the phone to Mrs. Wow with her degree result - she got a FIRST!  :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

That's how I like it. Well done! (Arts subject? If so, very well done)

Social & Political Sciences. Apparently she was the only SPS First from Girton. Dunno how many students there were throughout the Uni.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #177 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:44:49 pm »
that's bloody brilliant Wow - what about the exam she thought she's bollixed?

« Reply #178 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
that's bloody brilliant Wow - what about the exam she thought she's bollixed?

Well, it can't have done that much damage, can it?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #179 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:41:19 pm »
She hasn't had a breakdown of the marks yet. Gets them Monday apparently, but it would appear that everyone else bollixed it too. They all said they found it very difficult. Her Director of Studies treated her to a jug of Pimms this afternoon.

She phoned her Primary School head (my mate Frank Gulley) this afternoon. Ten years ago, when she left Temple Sutton, he was her class teacher as well as being HT to a school of 800 kids. His report said something like "Work hard at Cambridge!" ;D

« Reply #180 on: 26 June, 2008, 06:47:51 pm »
We have a bath!

To celebrate I will share this with you: http://www.rainhamsheds.co.uk/ (thanks to b3ta for the link...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #181 on: 26 June, 2008, 07:45:20 pm »
Five years after leaving her job to stay home with Anders (meaning we were on a single income), and after over a year at a great place to work as an underpaid half-time temp worker, Robyn is now working at the great place as a 3/4-time permanent salaried employee. Phew!
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #182 on: 27 June, 2008, 08:37:50 am »
Just off for a graduation ceremony. I may be some time.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #183 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:30:07 am »

Is this the one you are banned from cycling to?  I reckong you should wear
lycra on principle...    :demon:

And just remember - if your daughter refuses to speak to you for showing her up, at least she won't be able to ask for money.  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #184 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:51:07 am »

Is this the one you are banned from cycling to?  I reckon you should wear
lycra on principle...    :demon:

Lycra? No. Just the same outfit he used for the WNBR.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Elleigh

« Reply #185 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:21:57 am »
Five years after leaving her job to stay home with Anders (meaning we were on a single income), and after over a year at a great place to work as an underpaid half-time temp worker, Robyn is now working at the great place as a 3/4-time permanent salaried employee. Phew!

:thumbsup:

« Reply #186 on: 28 June, 2008, 02:25:38 am »
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #187 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »
I have a new job  :D Not quite as well paid, not quite such a good car, no company phone... but a pretty steady 36hr week (shame it's 9-5 not 8:30 - 4:30 but you can't have everything!) and the prospect of getting to sleep in my own bed most nights of the year! After 10 months of weekly commuting to Dublin, followed by (so far) 2 months of spending 3 days a week in our welding shop (ie painted shipping container) on a site in South Wales I'm pretty chuffed.  And the job came to me, which is even better. Approach via an agency, turn up on Fri with no suit or tie for interview (it'd been a long day, and I don't do suits and ties if I can help it, they were lucky it wasn't jeans on a Friday), told I'd be contacted Friday the following week after they'd done more interviews, but got call on Tues pm saying they wanted me. Even got them to up their offer by £3k.  ;D

I feel quite pleased, though how my wife will take to having me under her feet again is anyones guess!  8)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Elleigh

« Reply #188 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:29:09 pm »
I have a new job  :D Not quite as well paid, not quite such a good car, no company phone... but a pretty steady 36hr week (shame it's 9-5 not 8:30 - 4:30 but you can't have everything!) and the prospect of getting to sleep in my own bed most nights of the year! After 10 months of weekly commuting to Dublin, followed by (so far) 2 months of spending 3 days a week in our welding shop (ie painted shipping container) on a site in South Wales I'm pretty chuffed.  And the job came to me, which is even better. Approach via an agency, turn up on Fri with no suit or tie for interview (it'd been a long day, and I don't do suits and ties if I can help it, they were lucky it wasn't jeans on a Friday), told I'd be contacted Friday the following week after they'd done more interviews, but got call on Tues pm saying they wanted me. Even got them to up their offer by £3k.  ;D

I feel quite pleased, though how my wife will take to having me under her feet again is anyones guess!  8)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #189 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:31:32 pm »

She'll of course want you out of her way especially at weekends thus you get a pass out to go cycling. Everyone's happy.

Fi

« Reply #190 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
I bet she'll be delighted to have her husband back, rather than someone who's not that happy with his job and tired because of all the travelling and working conditions.  Congratulations.

« Reply #191 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:34:16 pm »
I bet she'll be delighted to have her husband back, rather than someone who's not that happy with his job and tired because of all the travelling and working conditions.  Congratulations.

Fi, thanks (and other too of course), and yes, thats pretty much how it is... but the downside is she'll now feel free to start her lists again! But the front door really needs painting, and it's like lifes been on hold for a year.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #192 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:22:59 pm »
Stella is ridable again, Dirty Pia just need inner tubes and she is ridable again, Seth is ridable again. Thank you all for the help, donations and pointers :) :) :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #193 on: 02 July, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #194 on: 03 July, 2008, 04:18:06 pm »
Mrs. TKP and myself are celebrating our ninth wedding anniversary today. Nothing too elaborate, we skipped on cards but are going out for a curry tonight. As I didn't say it in a card I will say it here; Happy anniversary darling, I love you loads and thanks for the best nine years of my life.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #195 on: 03 July, 2008, 04:20:48 pm »
As I didn't say it in a card I will say it here; Happy anniversary darling, I love you loads and thanks for the best nine years of my life.
In two days and 8 years time I will be saying the same :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #196 on: 03 July, 2008, 04:24:17 pm »
Aaaaaaaaaah!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #197 on: 03 July, 2008, 06:26:19 pm »
 :D  :-*

Congratulations, Mr & Mrs TKP!  :thumbsup:

GillP

« Reply #198 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »
Mrs. TKP and myself are celebrating our ninth wedding anniversary today. Nothing too elaborate, we skipped on cards but are going out for a curry tonight. As I didn't say it in a card I will say it here; Happy anniversary darling, I love you loads and thanks for the best nine years of my life.

Aren't I a lucky girl, the feeling is very mutual  :-*

Thank you Peli and Woolly, I hope you enjoy the next eight years and two days as much as I did  :D

« Reply #199 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:55:03 pm »

cant believe you got away without buying a card... :D

congratulations, you two!