Author Topic: Walking up Ben Chonzie  (Read 4548 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Walking up Ben Chonzie
« on: 20 April, 2008, 12:01:08 pm »
Ben Chonzie (pronounced 'Honzie' apparently) is regarded as being a bit of a dull hill in itself, and really it's just a lump that sneaks in over 3000 feet by 57 feet. Given you start the walk at 1000 feet it's a bit of a cheat as well - but it's only an hour and a half or so in the car from Edinburgh, and there was the possibility of there being some snow on top (and some wildlife - of which more later!).

And calling it a dull hill is a bit of a shame, because the views it affords are fantastic on a 9-10 mile loop round Loch Turret.

The lump from the walk in along Loch Turret

And me (suffering with a bit of back trouble so looking grumpy despite enjoying the day!)

Views of the Lawers Range (5 or 6 Munros on show) from the climb up

A snow ridge

A cairn heading back down from the summit

Coming down we stumbled upon loads of Arctic Hares. We knew there should be some in the area, and had been bemoaning the lack of sightings on the way up! They more than made up for it later!

There are also LOADS of frogs and toads on the walk in, sunning themselves on the path beside Loch Turret

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
Re: Walking up Ben Chonzie
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2008, 02:04:44 pm »
Ben Chonzie (pronounced 'Honzie' apparently)

More commonly pronounced (amongst the locals, I believe) Ben ee-hone.  There is a third pronounciation but I forget.

You are right, it is a nice wee hill.  The time I went up it I was almost killed by a stampede of sheep!
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'ĂȘtre un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2008, 04:55:46 pm »
Great pics.  Nice to see the hares.  When were you up there?   Last week - cold wind.  :)

Have you been up Ben Lawers?  I thought about doing this sometime with our older mini ao, when we have some better kit, and she's a tad older.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »
WoW... lovely photos

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2008, 05:36:45 pm »
Great pics.  Nice to see the hares.  When were you up there?   Last week - cold wind.  :)

Have you been up Ben Lawers?  I thought about doing this sometime with our older mini ao, when we have some better kit, and she's a tad older.

We were there just yesterday (benefit of living in Edinburgh is there are things like this not really that far away).

Ben Lawers (with Bheinn Glass before it) is a great walk (as is the nearby Meall Nan Tarmachan and the ridge along it). Lawers has a very well defined path and the views are just as stunning (and it's another one that starts pretty high up, AND the drive up is fun with the possibility of red squirrels in the lower forest).