Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2490939 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17150 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:07:11 pm »
>> its easier to go slower when the traffic is lighter.

Yep - and one reason why I end up getting sucked into going faster in traffic. Usually OK, but sometimes I look back on things and think that wasnt a very smart move.

« Reply #17151 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »
Not nice coming home. Very strong southerly wind, which is a cross-wind for most of the journey.
And there must have been some sort of incident on the bypass as there was far more traffic than usual on the old road and through the village.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17152 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:13:00 pm »
Was late this morning so went the direct route (4 miles instead of 8). Gosh that was fast! It was all over so quickly. Terribly disappointing.

Return was the proper route and with a headwind. But still wonderful.

Almost had an ambitious overtaking driver prang an oncoming car. It's always funny when you end up with two stationary vehicles head-to-head with a fag paper between them. More usually, they pull in on me! But I'm wise to this and wide ride and ready to brake - allowing me to watch with amusement as they learn all about blind corners.

« Reply #17153 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:33:45 am »
Nice run in this morning, was expecting a bit of rain but I missed it. Its pissing down now though, but it is meant to be sunny on the way home. Toying with going home via the gwent flatlands?

I am still hesitant going around roundabouts and cars running in to me thanks to the bell end from a few weeks ago  >:(

« Reply #17154 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:37:27 pm »
Lovely long run home via Eaglescliffe and some offroad tracks. The track around Newsham Grange is a bit pointless as it's longer and farther and slower than the very pleasant road, but that's part of the fun!

The path alongside the river from Middleton One Row to Dinsdale was fabulous. Not just for saving me from having to ride through Middleton St George, but it's a great run next to the river, and above the river. After a downpour this affa, it was way more technical than my slick tyres could cope with - one to return to with suitable knobblies, or in dry weather.

I even had a very accommodating tractor-and-trailer to sit behind at 20-25 mph up Neasham Road ;D

Ah, summer commutes.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17155 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:47:17 pm »
High tide + south westerly = a salt water soaking on the way home.

At least it wasn't as cold as last time (January iirc).

« Reply #17156 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:49:56 pm »
Ah, summer commutes.

Well-a well-a well-a huh
Tell me more, tell me more
Did you get very far?

On my return commute I nearly ran over a reptile which was crossing the road. I don't know what it could have been other than a snake - yellowy-green, about six inches long, maybe 9 inches if stretched right out. Skinny and slithery. No legs. I was so surprised, I didn't stop, let alone think of taking a photo.

« Reply #17157 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:06:43 pm »
Ah, summer commutes.

Well-a well-a well-a huh
Tell me more, tell me more
Did you get very far?

:facepalm:

I also spotted two pro team jerseys (Astana and Movistar). Is the TdF on or something?

« Reply #17158 on: 08 July, 2015, 08:07:28 am »
This probably doesn't fit into the "moron" class as it seems to be a regular occurrence, but there seems to be a selective adherence to traffic laws and/or the highway code on my commute. Almost every driver behaves very nicely, but then you get a few who refuse to go over solid white lines when overtaking. I'm pretty sure that combination is invalid, 'drive'! You are, however, welcome to try to combine NOT going over a solid white line with giving me enough space when passing. Good luck with that one! Some drivers fail to comprehend that there is a further option - wait.

Si_Co

« Reply #17159 on: 08 July, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
I had a great ride, smashing tailwind and got to witness that magical moment when someone realises what a complete tool they are making of themselves.

I cruising up the bus lane here the traffic moving a little slower than me, not much though, when a chap decides the bus lane is  much better option, flicks his indicator on and begins to mover into me. I knocked, quite gently actually, on his nearside passenger door and carried on to the lights. He pulls alongside on the left and proceeds to give me a rant:

Angry Middle Aged Man In Micra (AMAMIM): "OI", so I turn and turn my bars to face him, "That's criminal damage that is, I can have you done, I'M GOING TO CALL THE POLICE! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"
Amused Zen Cyclist (AZC):"Its not criminal damage, there's no damage"
AMAMIM: "IT IS! IT'S CRIMINAL! YOU PUNCHED MY CAR"
AZC: "Right now listen, it's not criminal damage"
AMAMIM: " IT IS!"
AZC: "It's a road traffic collision and what happens now is you pull over and I give you my insurance details, you give me yours so you can get your "damage" sorted. Or you can call the police, but would you like to watch the video of you cutting me up by illegally entering a bus lane first?"

At that point he realised it was not a light he'd been staring at.  ;D  It was beautiful.  :demon:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17160 on: 08 July, 2015, 11:57:51 am »
Ugh. Drivers.

Monday, Tuesday and this morning's journey were spoiled by idiots who got their driving licences out of cereal boxes.

Monday's watchword was 'aggression' - specifically plenty of tailgating and close passes, including a National Express coach driver who, upon seeing me indicate right to overtake a bus pulling into a stop, accelerated hard to try and cut me off! I had no choice, as I was too close to the bus to bail out left and stop, so put the hammer down as the coach braked and stuck about a foot from my rear wheel until I passed the bus and bailed out. I was distracted by ragefear and ran a red light that I could have stopped for.

Tuesday's watchword was 'inattention' - specifically from the van driver at Bricklayer's Arms who came this >< close to knocking me off, by driving at me as we set off from the lights. Naturally, he didn't even want to be in the lane I was occupying as, after making me shit myself, he pulled back into lane 2 (the one he started off in) and carried on. Annoyingly, I didn't have a means of writing down the company name or reg (my phone was neatly stacked with my diary... on my desk), and had forgotten it by the time I got home.

A little later in the journey, I got pulled over by two Police officers (on foot - they shouted at me to stop, so I did) for amber-gambling. They were well up for issuing me a FPN, even though I explained that the white van currently stopped half-over the white line was tailgating me and I assessed it to be dangerous to stop in that scenario. PC2 got his brain stuck in a loop about me deliberately running the yellow. PC1 seemed to have a better knowledge of the Highway Code and sent me on my way. Well done lads, have a crack at the cyclist presenting no danger to anyone instead of the white van driver who can't bring his vehicle to rest in the right place and, judging by the amount of rust and dents all over it, will be committing a variety of motoring offences on top of that. ::-)

This morning's watchwordacronym is 'MGIF' - specifically the cabbie who mounted the kerb to pull alongside me at the one-way section. Also, the minicab who tried so hard to overtake me, that his ABS kicked in during his frantic effort to avoid crashing into the back of the bus in front of me. ::-)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #17161 on: 08 July, 2015, 03:29:05 pm »
Jackers? I believe this needs to be duplicated in the Rant thread too. Two birds 'n'all that dincha'kna!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Si_Co

« Reply #17162 on: 09 July, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
Pulling off Oxford Road in to Hathersage Road I had a mysterious unclipping incident and ended up with my heel in the back wheel above the chain stay, low speed but it still kicked like a mule, now I have a small womble in my lovely new wheel.

« Reply #17163 on: 09 July, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
Bummer.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17164 on: 09 July, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
Had an incident with a car driver parked on school zig zags.  I'd just dropped my son off on the tandem and was riding off solo.  I pointed at the markings as I slowly rode past the driver's door.  He wound down his window, but as it wasn't safe for me to stop there.  I manoeuvred the tandem almost to the passenger door when my left foot got picked up by the pedal, I lost my footing and went down into his door - denting it. 

There then followed a discussion about parking - during which his view was that it was none of my business where he parked.  He wasn't interested in my view that I was just trying to keep the school children safe. 

I couldn't deny I'd (accidentally) hit his door though.  I'm now waiting for the bill - and the claim form from my CTC third party insurance.  Thought I'd never need that - glad I've got it now.

« Reply #17165 on: 09 July, 2015, 01:58:36 pm »
Very ....  interesting... today in London. More silly cyling that I can count, two lemmings walking out in front of me, one pannier being doored (door opened as I went past), hell I enjoyed it all. My 40k did take almost 2.5 hours, though, I think I would have done better on the canal, will use it on the way back.

I did realise that my old commute route had one piece of significance which had escaped me at the time ... approaching the A40 at Acton

« Reply #17166 on: 09 July, 2015, 08:56:59 pm »
Now: usually, commuting in't Yorkshire is a pleasure. OK, the cycle facilities are a bit meh, but motorists are on the whole considerate and experienced at behaving well around cyclists.

But today? Cover me in feathers, spank my arse and call me Brenda - it's like they've all been eating deh moron pillz. Cutting across cycle lanes, left hooks, buses pulling out on you, the works. Pride of place to the bendy bus driver who watches me come down the road. Then pulls out and when I stop to let him*, turns toward me so that the sodding back end of the bus gets Really Proper Close. Learn where the end of your vehicle is, you gigantic greasy dingleberry.

*I ain't playing the assertive game with ten tons of metal driven by twenty stone of ugly. He wants to go, I let him.

« Reply #17167 on: 09 July, 2015, 09:42:49 pm »
Well, the canal back was not that much slower than the road

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/828283402

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/828283408

Things I have learned today: that just north of the A40 is a spiteful little hill Called Horsenden Hill that pops out of nowhere and scuttles off after, nothing that remarkable, just unexpected.

« Reply #17168 on: 09 July, 2015, 09:47:08 pm »

Things I have learned today: that just north of the A40 is a spiteful little hill Called Horsenden Hill that pops out of nowhere and scuttles off after, nothing that remarkable, just unexpected.
I know that hill.
I used to fly kites there when I lived in Harrow.
It is a b@st@rd.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #17169 on: 10 July, 2015, 09:21:59 am »

That's a heck of a route, is that!!! Chapeau.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #17170 on: 10 July, 2015, 10:17:21 am »
I used to do that as a regular commute, for about 18 months a bit longer than that, for another 18 a bit shorter.

It has in its favour you can eat and drink anything without getting heavier.

If only I stopped eating when I stopped riding it....

« Reply #17171 on: 10 July, 2015, 10:21:01 am »
an interesting and educational commute today. had a chat with the owner of a really lovely fettled mk3 Moulton at Marylebome, complete with wishbone stem (for the Moulton pervs on here).

Then got the dahon security marked by the Mey and had the chance to sit in an hgv at Marble arch. I thought I was aware of the blind spots but even with the non compulsory mirrors I was astounded by the extent of the front blind spot.

the Sgt running the scheme told me that a volvo estate recently got squashed as it had nipped up a bus land inside an hgv and then nipped in front of the lorry and wasn't visible! a volvo estate!!!

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

ian

« Reply #17172 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:53:13 am »
The, quite frankly, such vehicles shouldn't be on the road.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17173 on: 10 July, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
Well, yesterday's Tube strike allowed me to have a joyous and smug trundle through a 6 mile long car park in the morning, but what in the name of frikkin' lasers happened in the evening?!

Traffic was light, and every driver was out for blood. Bloody hell it was a scary ride. I noted 3 good drivers in the 35 mins I was on the road. A bus driver who correctly assessed the time + distance to the next stop and waited a safe distance behind me (he must have been new to the job). A woman driving a beautiful DB9 convertible, with the top down and some sort of classical music wafting from the stereo. So relaxed was she, that she was just in bra and shorts serenely taking her time not hassling anyone and passing me and other cyclists with plenty of room. Finally a berk inna merc, who wasn't a berk at all, predicted my desire to change lanes around a bus and waved me out.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17174 on: 10 July, 2015, 12:07:52 pm »
The, quite frankly, such vehicles shouldn't be on the road.

If you mean Volvo estates then I totally agree :demon:

A sticker commonly seen on PTWs about twenty years ago read "My other bike is under a Volvo"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime