Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2452184 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #22650 on: 19 April, 2019, 05:55:36 pm »
Re-hydrating after running 13k from my hotel to the Pyramids at Giza, and then running back.

The cloud cover cleared making the mid-day run home a wee bit of a struggle.
I'm a bit cooked on the head and possibly have mild heat stroke!

The back roads route was 'interesting', and the navigation was tricky using the breadcrumb trail on the watch, but it worked fine.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22651 on: 19 April, 2019, 09:40:47 pm »
Nutter!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #22652 on: 25 April, 2019, 09:56:20 pm »
I'm surprised his pace wasn't kept up by the feral dogs.

Tonight I'm contemplating whether or not to get a replacement battery for my 2011-ish Macbook Air which still worked but I don't actually need (it won't power-up any more since my wife drained the ailing battery doing her stupid Les Mills exercises). Sadly, after a day of Concur and meetings with mothership legal, I can just can't be bothered going upstairs to note the serial number so I can check how ish the 2011-ish actually is. From the instructions, it seems possible that even a minimally technically competent numbskull like me might be able to change it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22653 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:30:33 am »
Procrastinating: today I need to fill & send in a batch of veterinary insurance bumph for the dog's latest non-crisis, go get a few bits of domestic hardware, and put a new chainring on the Trek.  What I really feel like doing is none of the above so I don't feel like starting any of them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #22654 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:22:06 am »
Procrastinating because I am supposed to be cleaning a railway locomotive today, and the enthusiasm is a bit lacking.  Luckily she isn't a particularly large loco, a mere 20 tonnes or so, but as I last cleaned her some months ago and she has done precisely 0 miles since then (and I put a tarpaulin over her a while back), I'm hoping she isn't too bad.  She needs to look clean for Sierra Leone Independence Day tomorrow, as we are having an event at the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway, and two senior guys from the Sierra Leone Railway museum are visiting.  Needless to say, Wales has changed its weather back to standard, for their visit. 

So if anyone fancies a bit of industrial housework...
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22655 on: 26 April, 2019, 01:24:34 pm »
Well, I did the dog-insurance bit. At least I thought I did: the claims-posting website hides the results from prying eyes.  It's a bit worrying that for four claims I only got one email acknowledgement back and it doesn't give any details.

I'll maybe slope over to the hardware shop now. Or not.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22656 on: 27 April, 2019, 04:06:32 pm »
Disappearing down a rabbit hole.

On long rides I've been getting sore feet so thought I'd get some shoes with stiff soles (not that easy as I have weird shaped feet).
Then after a bit of googling different pedals were suggested.

Argh! Too many options.....

« Reply #22657 on: 28 April, 2019, 05:58:50 pm »
Pondering over the multitude of energy suppliers, and if I really want to go back to BG to save £20 a month. (There are cheaper options, but the “best of the rest” is a variable tariff and I don’t want to be switching more than annually).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22658 on: 03 May, 2019, 01:59:22 pm »
Basking in the afterglow of letting a telemarketer go through her spiel then saying smugly "sorry, madame, we closed the company three years ago".

I suppose we could have changed the phone number but telling everyone we know would have been a pain.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #22659 on: 03 May, 2019, 09:53:22 pm »
Trying to wind down a bit.  I started working at 7am this morning and finished at about 9.30 this evening.  I had a couple of hours out at lunchtime, I had to travel to an opticians appointment (but did a bit of work on the train there.  So I have done about 12 hours today.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22660 on: 04 May, 2019, 09:32:59 am »
Thinking about getting out of bed but a quick look out of the window at the sky makes me wonder if it’s worth it. Dr Beardy is also working1, though the fact that she is doing so on the computer in the bedroom is a complication in the getting out of bed equation.

1. It’s marking season, and thus academics up and down the land are absent from family life.   
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22661 on: 04 May, 2019, 02:14:32 pm »
Hog-tied here: bike's clean but it's pissing down and cold. Workshop temperature is ~7°C so don't feel like working wood and anyway I'm waiting for critical bits to arrive. Missus is knackered from a half-marathon yesterday and doesn't feel like going out anywhere. Bah.

Mañana.

Chris S

« Reply #22662 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:18:29 pm »
Reminding myself, once again, that uPNP is much like UK solar power - promises a lot, but in the end it's just shit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22663 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:48:18 pm »
Reminding myself, once again, that uPNP is much like UK solar power - promises a lot, but in the end it's just shit.

That seems a little unfair to solar power.  There are typically several whole days a year where solar power delivers as promised.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22664 on: 11 May, 2019, 08:59:48 am »
Just dropped one of our dogs off at the vet's to have a bleeding skin tumour removed from his face.  The worrying thing is that another has appeared about 5 cm away from it, and he's having trouble peeing.  The implication is that it's all the same thing and he's riddled with it.

We'll be going back mid-afternoon to pick him up again, but we'll not have a biopsy result until next week.   Glum. :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22665 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:21:55 am »
Just sent the bill for the above to the insurance company.  Noticed over the vet's shoulder that so far they've had >14,000€ out of us.  That'd be for the current two dogs and their predecessor. Total insurance premiums for these two over the years tot up to > 10000. Add the two together and there's a half-decent car there. :o

Cars aren't as much fun, though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22666 on: 12 May, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »
Hope he's ok.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22667 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:43:05 pm »
Booking a trip to Spain.

It started as a cycling trip, flying to Girona and completing the PiriNexus.

I then changed my mind and decided that I'd like to include Madrid.

Which sort of discounted cycling.

Thus now I fly to BCN, spend one night there, get the train the next morning to Madrid, spend 2 days there then returning to Madrid for 2 days before heading home.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22668 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
Sounds terrible!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22669 on: 24 May, 2019, 10:41:24 pm »
Killing time at Euston before the FNRttC.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22670 on: 24 May, 2019, 10:42:01 pm »
Sitting on a train heading towards a FNRTTC. It's been a while...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22671 on: 25 May, 2019, 09:35:05 am »
Searching Google for FNRTTC.

OK, gotcha. LLF

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22672 on: 26 May, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »
Sitting on the dock dangling my legs over the river Wat hing the reeds blowing in the breeze while Dr Beardy (Mrs) and her sister peruse expensive tat in the various emporia that make up the retail experience that is Snape Maltings. With a bit of luck they’ll invite me to have a cup of tea and a bun with them for which my S-n-L will spring for in recompense for me buying them all Sunday lunch.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22673 on: 26 May, 2019, 03:19:36 pm »
We drove past Snape Maltings on Thursday after a visit to Minsmere.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22674 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:41:34 am »
Inhaling the wondrous aroma emanating from the kitchen and trying not to salivate on my jumper.