Author Topic: Which GPS for Audaxing  (Read 7966 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Which GPS for Audaxing
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
When there's a second AUK who uses TT UR, maybe the pair of us can start a 'TT UR' thread.

Don't worry, you'll be given your own sub-board.   :thumbsup:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #26 on: 12 February, 2016, 02:37:02 pm »
FFS, read my last post, AT THE TIME NAV WAS NOT AN ISSUE.  This thread was asking which NAV GPS is best for audax, not which performance tracker.

I HAVE A GARMIN 920XT which does the metrics.

Really sorry, was reading this in a tiny screen.

Was just trying to give a helpful answer based on 13 years of GPS use.

My humblest apologies, and on reflection Ningishzidda is absolutely right and you should join him in using motorcycle sat-nav on your bicycle.

It's the right answer for you.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 12 February, 2016, 04:14:38 pm »
I've said at least three times I already have a Garmin which provides X and I don't need another one to do that...

In fairness, I don't think there are many appropriate devices that will only do that one thing.
They pretty much will all have one or more of the other features included.
Would that duplication be a problem?

I think you are probably right, and Garmin created the perfect thing for me with their multisport devices, mainly having a battery life long enough that I can charge it up and go away for the whole week with no issues, or ride around the roads close to home.

I've always used physical maps when away on holiday etc, but they tend to get a bit sweaty and run in your pockets, or it rains etc.

Having recently bought the 920 it would not be a disaster to replicate those metrics but it would at least be superfluous and likely to attract adverse comments from the management.

With a desire for GPX routing rather than just car sat nav type routing, I think the options seem to be
1) an etrex
2) an edge on its own
2) get an edge and a stand-alone run watch cheap and sell the 920.

At least I now have options.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »
FFS, read my last post, AT THE TIME NAV WAS NOT AN ISSUE.  This thread was asking which NAV GPS is best for audax, not which performance tracker.

I HAVE A GARMIN 920XT which does the metrics.

Really sorry, was reading this in a tiny screen.

Was just trying to give a helpful answer based on 13 years of GPS use.

My humblest apologies, and on reflection Ningishzidda is absolutely right and you should join him in using motorcycle sat-nav on your bicycle.

It's the right answer for you.

Tying to navigate with a tiny screen is the problem here as well.

Sorry to get tetchy, but I thought I'd been clear what I was after.

« Reply #29 on: 14 February, 2016, 05:30:49 pm »
For the curious.

‘Tyre ToTravel’ route building package creates both GPX and ITN ( TomTom’s Itinerary file ). A GPX can be downloaded onto Tyre ToTravel, edited and saved as a new GPX or an ITN.

An ITN is TomTom’s file which is similar to a GPX. It is a list of points to be visited.
When the ‘Route’ on the Urban Rider is started, TT calculates a route to the first Waypoint, even if another Waypoint is closer. Each Waypoint is visited in strict order, so a figure ‘8’ route can be constructed.

I don’t know how many Routes the device can save. Until the memory is full.

I create an Itinerary for each section of an event. 30 – 40 Waypoints will easily cover 50 km. So for LEL, 24 Itineraries are required. I’ll experiment.

When the event’s route is a series of generally straight lines between controls, I simply ask for the next control ‘as per a car SatNav’.

It really is a doddle.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #30 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:04:44 pm »
With the XT920 covering the data-logging duties, it may be that Ning's TomTom is a good solution, depending on your budget. If funds are tight, an Edge 705 might provide the best vfm solution; I've seen them for £75 on EBay. You may need to re-seat (or replace) the battery for best performance, but that's cheap and easy to do. If you decide that you'd rather replace the 920 with a cheaper watch and go whole hog for a new satnav/logging device, I'd recommend the Edge 1000 over the 810. Or even the 800; the interwebs are rife with 810 problems. Don't bother with the 520 for a nav solution; it has a very small map memory, but doesn't really do navigation.

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:24:02 pm »
I bought an etrex30 thinking it would do more than the old etrex Vista (following tracks in Nav mode being the biggest thing)

It actually does less (or is less configurable anyway) but is far far more robust. Be aware if you want it to do anything other than show a track on the screen you will have to plot a route on Basecamp afore ye go;

if you are happy with that it's a first rate device for Audaxing, to me the AA changing capability outweighs all the disadvantages c/f the Edge series

ElyDave

« Reply #32 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:28:36 pm »
I bought an etrex30 thinking it would do more than the old etrex Vista (following tracks in Nav mode being the biggest thing)

It actually does less (or is less configurable anyway) but is far far more robust. Be aware if you want it to do anything other than show a track on the screen you will have to plot a route on Basecamp afore ye go;

if you are happy with that it's a first rate device for Audaxing, to me the AA changing capability outweighs all the disadvantages c/f the Edge series

Does it not do GPX?  I'm looking at the Etrex 20 and thought that it did so.

This seems a good deal vs the prices soem are fetching on fleabay.

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/garmin-etrex-20x-topoactive-westeuropa-gps-device/?backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL2dwcy1kZXZpY2VzXC8jODM3MWY1NDU3ZTY0MGUyOTNjZGY5MjNiNmE3ZDM5YWMiLCJoYXNoIjoiNmY2YTRjM2QxMTc3YTYyOWExNjA4NDM2ODVjNTgyNTcifQ==

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:36:22 pm »
it does GPX but won't navigate turn by turn unless you plot a route on Basecamp (a 10 minute job per route; you may need to create more than one for longer rides cos of the 50 waypoint limit)

I'm not sure what the 20 doesn't do that the 30 does but I personally wouldn't settle for less than what the 30 does

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »
I'm not sure what the 20 doesn't do that the 30 does

Barometric altimeter (and presumably the software stuff related to elevation analysis that I never bother with), magnetic compass (handy on foot, limited use on a bike), Ant+ wireless (significant if you want to use a HRM).

« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2016, 07:58:26 am »
More for the curious.

I’ve signed up to ride ‘Mike’s Myton Ride’ organised by Mike Vaughan Cycles of Kenilworth. 77 miles round Warwickshire.

I export the GPX track off RideWithGPS and save it as a .GPX in a folder for the event.

Open TyreToTravel and open the .GPX. It appears and a list of points is in the left hand frame of the editing screen.
I can then highlight groups of points and delete them leaving just the section I’m interested in. I save these as a differently named file, eg ‘Start to first feeding Stn.GPX’.

( For the next section, re open the ‘master’ file and chop out different groups of points. )

I thin down the number of Waypoints leaving Waypoints along lanes so TomTom doesn’t get confused. I save the route with 40 Waypoints as ‘Start to first feeding Stn.ITN’

I plug in TomTom UR and it automatically opens TomTom Home, management package, logs me in to TomTom.NL, searches for any udates, maps and User edits.
It appears as an external drive ( F:\ )
I copy and paste the group of .ITN files from C:\ to ‘ITNs’ folder on F:\TomTom

Disconnect the TT UR and the ITNs are ready for use.

The whole ride is in three sections between the food stops.

« Reply #36 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:12:40 am »
I'm trying out the newish Garmin Edge 25. 

I've bought 2 of them and a small power bank so that whilst I'm using 1 the other can be on charge.  The cost of them is such that you can get 2 and a power bank for less than some of the more expensive Garmins.

They last for about 8 hours so you get 16 hours between the 2 of them and if you're riding longer just pop the other one on charge in your bag.

I put the same routes (courses) on both and they hold 8 in total.  I put the whole ride in as one course and then sections between the controls as the other courses.

As it communicates with your smartphone via bluetooth you can delete older courses as you need to when you're doing very long rides greater than 7 controls and add the next ones as you need to.

The only problem I've found so far is that if you add a .gpx file (by converting it to .fit and loading to the Edge25 then it doesn't give turn by turn navigation prompts, it just shows you the breadcrumb trail and you have to navigate by that.

If you plot the courses through Garmin connect though then the turn by turn navigation works really well most of the time.

ElyDave

« Reply #37 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:50:50 am »
Thanks Jeff, I've looked at those as well - main question for me was is the screen big enough?

« Reply #38 on: 15 February, 2016, 02:35:37 pm »
I once saw on 5th Avenue in New York outside the Apple Store, a guy with a Macbook in the front basket of his bike, sitting on a sizeable battery. Yup, he was using it as a SatNav

That could be an idea for a larger screen,,,  :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: 15 February, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
It's perfectly fine for me and I've got fairly rubbish eyesight.

They are small though, you could probably fit 5 of them in the case of an Etrex 10/20/30!

The only things I find too small on the screen are the hour numbers on the time ridden and the north pointer on the breadcrumb navigation screen.  Everything else is fine, even in bright sunshine.

They are probably the smallest GPS cycling computers out there.

ElyDave

« Reply #40 on: 15 February, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »
I have managed to create a "course" file on Garmin Connect, set it to 24km/h and will give that a try on Sunday on Braziers run, with map back up.

Anyone know how to turn a .GPX file into a .FIT file to save me having to create new routes each time?

« Reply #41 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:53:03 pm »
Did the 'Hammerhead' ever get to market in this country?

Martin

« Reply #42 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:48:29 pm »
I have managed to create a "course" file on Garmin Connect, set it to 24km/h and will give that a try on Sunday on Braziers run, with map back up.

Anyone know how to turn a .GPX file into a .FIT file to save me having to create new routes each time?

Shirley the other way round? an Edge will follow a GPX file it just only spits out a .fit file unless I'm mistaken; don't think a .fit file will do anything for navigation

you can create a .tcx file from a gpx file (uploaded as a rote) on RWG if that helps; I just watched the e25 promo video and it doesn't appear to have maps. So does it just show a track to follow?

ElyDave

« Reply #43 on: 16 February, 2016, 06:51:27 am »

Shirley the other way round? an Edge will follow a GPX file it just only spits out a .fit file unless I'm mistaken; don't think a .fit file will do anything for navigation

you can create a .tcx file from a gpx file (uploaded as a rote) on RWG if that helps; I just watched the e25 promo video and it doesn't appear to have maps. So does it just show a track to follow?

If you use Garmin Connect, you create a route, give it an average speed adn it then uploads it as a course to follow essentially riding against yourself via that average time.  Not sure if it will give me a breadcrumb trail or turn by turn. 

I've not managed to work out how to give it POI to point out the info controls.  We'll see how it works on Saturday, may be an abject failure who knows.

« Reply #44 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:49:44 am »
(Hopefully this is still on-topic) Which of the Edge range units allow one to simply follow a downloaded gpx file track, and do any Garmins give turn by turn navigation from a specified track/route i.e. with no auto-calculation involved?  I use a Etrex Vista HCx and mostly follow a track*, so with no active navigation, but a friend is in the market for an Edge or summat...

*just wish the track line was double the thickness.   BTW IMO Vista HCX bargains can still be had on ebay - my last purchase for not too much money, was for a unit that had only ever been turned on once, after having been bought in 2010 I think it was...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

« Reply #45 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:22:24 am »
I believe the Edge 800 and the later ETrex (20,30) do so.  I have my eye on a few 800s on ebay.

Not sure if the 705 does so or is just a breadcrumb trail

« Reply #46 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »
(Hopefully this is still on-topic) Which of the Edge range units allow one to simply follow a downloaded gpx file track, and do any Garmins give turn by turn navigation from a specified track/route i.e. with no auto-calculation involved?  I use a Etrex Vista HCx and mostly follow a track*, so with no active navigation, but a friend is in the market for an Edge or summat...

*just wish the track line was double the thickness.   BTW IMO Vista HCX bargains can still be had on ebay - my last purchase for not too much money, was for a unit that had only ever been turned on once, after having been bought in 2010 I think it was...

705 and 800 series do.  To be honest I found the 705 stabler than the 810  I bought to replace it.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #47 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:43:54 pm »
I once saw on 5th Avenue in New York outside the Apple Store, a guy with a Macbook in the front basket of his bike, sitting on a sizeable battery. Yup, he was using it as a SatNav

That could be an idea for a larger screen,,,  :thumbsup:

Seen something similar with someone with an mini ipad on a brompton, with it attached on some sort of loop off the bars, which he just lifted to view the screen

ElyDave

« Reply #48 on: 18 February, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »
I watched a bloke walking around the Singapore Airlines Business lounge holding a full sized macbook to his ear as a telephone.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #49 on: 18 February, 2016, 09:47:13 pm »
The Garmin Touring(? - or whatever it's called) does just navigation, in the 800/810 chassis, and is a great buy at the moment. There's a 1000 version too, if you want better resolution. And they (and all the mapping Edges) do turn-by-turn navigation, which can be forced to follow your precalculated route, I believe.