Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12  (Read 10382 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12
« on: 05 March, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »
Well that's me sorted for Tomsk's Asparagus & Strawberries in May. Entry done, transport booked etc. Once I've sorted out the Garmin I'll be all set for 400 km of the finest East Anglian headwind. (Booking everything in advance now means I won't spend the next two months trying to come up with plans whereby I ride the Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 & am still able to function in work on Monday morning, as it's the same weekend.)

For anyone planning on getting there by train, Greater Anglia have just released their cheap tickets for that weekend; I've just bagged a return from London for a tad over £10.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree on 19/05/12
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »
I was wondering when someone would start a thread! Not many entries yet compared to the Green & Yellow Fields [which are flooding in]. As with the latter ride I'm re-writing the routesheet and need to ride round to do a proper check.This won't be until much nearer the time, so please don't panic!

The slightly earlier start should ensure most get to the chippy in Wells before it closes at 21:00. [Though there is still the option of the one in Melton Constable and the 'Indian' on the Quay at Wells]

I'll get an info sheet out sooner, as per the G&YF.....

And I'll be riding myself, so if you're slow enough you can forget the receipts and use the services of your very own roving controller.

rob

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2012, 02:25:56 pm »
That prompted me to be a bit more organised.   I entered this and Green and Yellow Fields a few weeks back.

I've sorted trains to/from G&YF and to A&S, but it looks like engineering work between Colchester and Witham on the Sunday morning after the 400.   I'll look for a strategy for the way home closer to the time.

Rob

αdαmsκι

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »
I'll look for a strategy for the way home closer to the time.

My approach will be to finished the 400 around 10.00 am & then get the 10h53 train back to London. To help this process along a bit I'll hoping to get about 5 or 6 hours sleep in the Newmarket Premier Inn during the ride :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

rob

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »
I'll look for a strategy for the way home closer to the time.

My approach will be to finished the 400 around 10.00 am & then get the 10h53 train back to London. To help this process along a bit I'll hoping to get about 5 or 6 hours sleep in the Newmarket Premier Inn during the ride :thumbsup:.

Do-able. Have finished in 21-22hrs last couple of years. I think I'll aim to be back in a similar time and either use the bus transfers or ride from Colchester to Witham. I can usually get home from this one in time to earn brownie points.

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »

I'm trying to work out a way of doing this ride and then be in Switzerland for work by 8am on Monday morning. Last time I did the A&S I did something similar to Adamski's plan, but stayed in the Barton Mills travelodge rather than Newmarket. This is just before the Red Lodge cafe and means you can use it for breakfast and avoid the boisterousness of the night Red Lodge and Newmarket.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »
Entered.

First 400k for me, so should be an interesting step up from 300k... it's flat anyway, so just keep the pedals turning right? ;)

Does anyone ever adopt a no sleep strategy? I recall at the end of the Dean 300k still feeling like I could ride a bit further without too much suffering, so I'm thinking it could be possible with perhaps a leisurely dinner stop at the 300k mark?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2012, 06:06:36 pm »
Does anyone ever adopt a no sleep strategy?

I've done three 400s (Brevet Cymru twice & an unvalidated DIY 400) on each time I rode straight through, but that was with an earlier start, meaning I'd never be riding beyond ~1.30 am.

I've planned a sleep stop on this ride because if I rode through I'd probably finish around 3 am, which isn't very good for trains back to London.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2012, 07:25:37 pm »
Rode straight through the last 2 years.   I'm a bit slower than Adamski so finished at breakfast time.

Had a dozy patch after Saffron Walden both years, but rode through OK.

« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
Planning for this to be my first 400k and suspect will ride through without shuteye - my speeds don't allow for much kip anyway. Have also identified the potential for hanging around in Manningtree for the train back to London on Sunday morning. Anyone know any good bus shelters? The ride to Whitham doesn't especially appeal but it is currently looking like the best option (or so somone is trying to convince me).

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:42:37 pm »
Have also identified the potential for hanging around in Manningtree for the train back to London on Sunday morning.

Cafe at Manningtree station is good. http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/may/12/railway-station-cafes-uk-food

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2012, 10:16:17 pm »
The station café is absolutely fab, as can be attested by vast numbers of YACFers who have breakfasted there before one of my led rides.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2012, 08:00:51 am »
Hmmm, I will probably do a straight-through ride then. It's likely I'll be hitting the 300k mark around 10.30pm, so around 1.5 hours somewhere that serves food until late probably in Mildenhall or Newmarket, set off again at midnight for the last 100-120k, and arrive in Manningtree around 6am... catch the first train back to London at 7.53am

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2012, 08:15:53 am »
Does anyone ever adopt a no sleep strategy? I recall at the end of the Dean 300k still feeling like I could ride a bit further without too much suffering, so I'm thinking it could be possible with perhaps a leisurely dinner stop at the 300k mark?

I think, but could be wrong, that the "no sleep strategy" is the norm on a 400. Some folks (e.g. the Tomsk-inator) do the same on 600s too (I bet he could do PBP that way too).  I was planning that on my one and only 600, but when we got to the travelodge point, it was late enough that the prospect of 4 hours sleep won over.

On 400s (including DIY's with extra kms on the end up to 500) I've just ridden through (then slept for about 24hrs afterwards  ;D)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 21 April, 2012, 09:26:31 am »
I used to prefer a short kip on 400s and a longer one on 600s now I prefer to get home earlier  :)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »
Route-checking this weekend.

Cafe at Manningtree Station opens at 08:00 - I'll be there for a second breakfast, then loitering outside to distribute cards.

There are other cafe options, in the town and just up the road at Mistley Quay and at Mistley Place Farm Park. All good. I'll be planning around 24 hours for the ride, so back for breakfast. For those getting maximum value, there is a good cafe in Sible Hedingham, on the last stage - I made use of it last year when I was struggling with a sore throat and general bodily frailty.
Planning for this to be my first 400k and suspect will ride through without shuteye - my speeds don't allow for much kip anyway. Have also identified the potential for hanging around in Manningtree for the train back to London on Sunday morning. Anyone know any good bus shelters? The ride to Whitham doesn't especially appeal but it is currently looking like the best option (or so somone is trying to convince me).
I will look for suitable bus shelters at strategic points when I'm checking the route :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »

If you're now in charge of the routesheet for this, it might be an idea to add the missing instruction L SP LINTON in Balsham that catches people out and sends them to Cambridge instead.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:09:18 pm »

If you're now in charge of the routesheet for this, it might be an idea to add the missing instruction L SP LINTON in Balsham that catches people out and sends them to Cambridge instead.

From memory, I thought it was L in Balsham, Linton Rd no sp.  ... isn't it on the A&S routesheet already 9only did it the once, last year)?

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »

From memory, I thought it was L in Balsham, Linton Rd no sp.  ... isn't it on the A&S routesheet already 9only did it the once, last year)?

The routesheet used to say "Follow B blah blah blah to Linton". Maybe it's been fixed already.

(The problem being that the L in Balsham to stay on the B road requires you to turn off the road you're on, tired people don't notice this).

And you're right there's no SP.

« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:15:05 pm »

are you two involved in world memory championships by any chance?  if not you should be  :)

Tomsk, I plan to join you in the station cafe for breakfast, will be bivvy-bagging outside so do kick-start me if necessary from my slumbers, thanks!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »

The routesheet used to say "Follow B blah blah blah to Linton". Maybe it's been fixed already.

(The problem being that the L in Balsham to stay on the B road requires you to turn off the road you're on, tired people don't notice this).

exactly!...the nuts thing about the traffic planning in that area is that before you get to Balsham, you're already following signs for Linton on the B<whatever - 1052???> but when you get to that junction, you need to turn left to stay on the B<foo> to Linton and there's no f'ing signpost  ???.  I think that last year's routesheet had the instruction on, but can't say for sure since I'm about 217 miles away from it at present.  It's also possible I'm mistaken, and only think it's there owing a) having been that way earlier in the year on a 200 and on a DIY, and to the good fellows of yacf issuing warnings in advance (prob, Chris S and/or Fidgetbuzz).

... just looked at Google maps and it is indeed the B1052...

Isn't this where deniece went off route on the A&S one year adding quite a few additional miles?

simonp

« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »

exactly!...the nuts thing about the traffic planning in that area is that before you get to Balsham, you're already following signs for Linton on the B<whatever - 1052???> but when you get to that junction, you need to turn left to stay on the B<foo> to Linton and there's no f'ing signpost  ???.  I think that last year's routesheet had the instruction on, but can't say for sure since I'm about 217 miles away from it at present.  It's also possible I'm mistaken, and only think it's there owing a) having been that way earlier in the year on a 200 and on a DIY, and to the good fellows of yacf issuing warnings in advance (prob, Chris S and/or Fidgetbuzz).

... just looked at Google maps and it is indeed the B1052...

Isn't this where deniece went off route on the A&S one year adding quite a few additional miles?

Yes, that's the one.

This isn't the only routesheet to miss that turn either!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:32:27 pm »

Dunno if Deniece did, but I turned this ride into the A&S 480-ish when I did it.  :facepalm:

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:14:08 pm »
It isnt a T, it is a left turn- and you either go straight on and fast downhill to Cambridge recrossing the A11 -( a la Deniece - who only stopped when she got to Cambridge I think) or you turn left and after a bit go fast downhill to Linton.

Flagged up enough in advance by locals even if Tomsk doesnt change the route sheet instruction - then at least the YACFers should be OK
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:16:36 pm »
Didnt last years have something about left after 3rd bus shelter or something like that - trouble was I lost count - and needed Chris to get me to make the turn - or I would have been half way down the downhill before thinking -- hey this isnt right
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!