Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree (11/05/2013)  (Read 20120 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400 from Manningtree (11/05/2013)
« Reply #125 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:18:36 pm »
We keep saying we should - even though there's 4 inches between us in height, our legs are the same length.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #126 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »
Speaking to my girlfriend about this, she pointed out that the smaller person would find the front more beneficial of being able to see ahead, whether the taller one on the back also still get to see ahead instead of a sweaty back.

« Reply #127 on: 15 May, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »
Actually got me thinking this; why does the women tend to be the stoker on a tandem?

Because men are control freaks.

The main answer is to do with strength - you typically want the stronger rider up front (I understand it's very different on racing tandems though) as they have to hold the bike and stoker up at junctions etc.

But it's not essential - there are teams out there with the larger rider at the rear (a team with a blind stoker for example cannot choose where that rider goes on the bike).
That's upper body strength, not cycling strength, btw. Chris & I are pretty much matched for speed on solos, as long as I've got gears- he's faster than me if we're both on fixed, but I have better stamina, and a stronger finish, usually.
I would struggle to pilot a tandem with my weight on the rear, although I have had my mum on mine and she's 5'8" to my 5'3", though probably not as heavy as me. It's not true that the pilot has to hold the stoker up at junctions or whatever- Chris doesn't hold me up (except by not getting going when I want to ;) ), and I only hold up lightweight children, not the almost fully grown ones on mine. You do have to be a bit better coordinated with each other if you don't hold them up is all. I find as a pilot there's more 'steering' to do; on a solo, you just kind of lean, intuitively.
On a racing tandem you still need upper body strength on the front, you just can't get away with a passenger on the back. The gears tend to be on the back for racing which requires pretty good communication- we moved them on the Swallow as I didn't think it was wise for someone who can't see the road ahead to decide which gear to put it in.
The real advantage to the larger rider at the front is to stop the stoker seeing where they're going and demanding stops at petrol stations and the like.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #128 on: 15 May, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
I think I'll add my 2p here.  If the stoker is navigating they need to be able to see where they're going.  We tried it once on the longbarrow and promptly abandoned the idea (as many of you are aware, assasin is ever so slightly larger than I am).

I've only had lightweight childer on the back (well, the 2nd was later on the tag along, having outgrown the kiddy seat).  I don't remember it being a problem holing them up (but no idea what they weighed compared to me either - standard 9yo, smallish 6yo, lightish mum).

Last time I looked it was really a question of 'are you man enough to let her drive'?

I never found it a problem having the gears at the back, just changed when I normally would.  The occasions when I changed wrongly were so few that I only remember there probably were some.  But then you can't stall and topple off with a trike.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #129 on: 14 June, 2013, 06:42:33 pm »
I saw this in Germany and thought of you all!

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #130 on: 15 June, 2013, 03:35:58 pm »
I saw this in Germany and thought of you all!

Excellent :D

Maybe the calendar version should become 'Spargel und Erdbeeren' to avoid confusion with Herman Ramsey's original permanent?  'Sparrow-Grass and Strayberries' would be more authentically East Anglian, on second thoughts....

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #131 on: 15 June, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »
I should have nicked the poster as there's room for a 'k' before the 'm' and you could have changed the 100 to a 400!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: 16 June, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
I should have nicked the poster as there's room for a 'k' before the 'm' and you could have changed the 100 to a 400!

;D :thumbsup: