Author Topic: A very long shot for help......  (Read 9449 times)

A very long shot for help......
« on: 03 March, 2016, 08:48:32 am »
I am currently in plaster and am likely to remain so until April.  I am also not that distance fit at the moment.

I was wondering if there was anyone with a longbarrow who could consider a flat 200 with a small stoker in March.....to keep my RRTY on the go?

Hopeful wishful thinking I know!
Does not play well with others

Re: A very long shot for help......
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:32:45 am »
I don't have a longbarrow, nor do I think I could get good enough at controlling one in time.
But I'd be up for a 200km ride on a recumbent tandem trike if you are too and we could get hold of one.
I'm not sure if D Tek near Ely have any we could borrow. Lots of flat roads around there.

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:42:17 am »
That's a shame, have a speedy recovery Jo  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:46:47 am »
A hasa pino would be ideal, surely? Rabbit needs to avoid jolting that arm at all costs. I've bumped my arm a couple of times with bar-end and it is very painful. Her break is worse than mine (I think, not sure how these things are rated).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:01:01 am »
No Barrow available but lots of good wishes.

There should be a queue of people seeking Rabbit's services as Stoker.

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:02:58 am »
No Barrow available but lots of good wishes.

There should be a queue of people seeking Rabbit's services as Stoker.

+1 best wishes get better soon  :thumbsup: just have normal tandem (small stoker)  I`m afraid nowt suitable to help out with.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:55:55 am »
I don't have a longbarrow, nor do I think I could get good enough at controlling one in time.
But I'd be up for a 200km ride on a recumbent tandem trike if you are too and we could get hold of one.
I'm not sure if D Tek near Ely have any we could borrow. Lots of flat roads around there.

I am so definitely up for that  :thumbsup:

Just got to get hold of one I guess!

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:56:37 am »
A hasa pino would be ideal, surely? Rabbit needs to avoid jolting that arm at all costs. I've bumped my arm a couple of times with bar-end and it is very painful. Her break is worse than mine (I think, not sure how these things are rated).

a what now  ???

*googles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »
Pretty much anything with a recumbent stoker would work, as long as the pilot was competent and confident enough not to drop it.

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »
I believe Assasin [sic] has, or has access to, an upright tandem trike - I have a feeling arabella and jes rode it on the Mersey Roads.  Might be worth a PM. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:07:21 pm »
I'd have thought a long-barrow is not a good thing for someone with a busted arm.

I believe even a light stoker needs to hang off it quite a bit in the bends?

Bent would probably be the only sensible (for a loose definition of such) approach I would have thought.

Edited to add:

No shots of Arabella (who is a light stoker for sure!) hanging off all the way, but even this one she's got quite a lean going on already.  I suspect stoking long barrows is pretty tough on the upper body:

Further edited to express dismay and concern about the handlebar tassels. I reckon they must have cost several miles on their record 24. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:26:39 pm »
I agree with mjb
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:29:08 pm »
You could try a post on 'The Dark Side' https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=10.0 someone may have a bent tandem they could loan.  3 wheels good 2 wheels bad in your current state of repair.  You might also try posting on HPV facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/43088031963/ and London Recumbents https://www.facebook.com/groups/londonrecumbentclub/
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2016, 12:32:52 pm »

a what now  ???

*googles

Hmm. I've got one of they (pino, not busted arm). Whereabouts would your flat 200k be and when, bearing in mind we're running out of March?  I'm away over the Easter weekend.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »

a what now  ???

*googles

Hmm. I've got one of they (pino, not busted arm). Whereabouts would your flat 200k be and when, bearing in mind we're running out of March?  I'm away over the Easter weekend.

:)

I'm in the Midlands, but with planning could travel.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »
I agree with mjb

Very much so.

Lots of work for a stoker to do on an upright tandem trike. Recumbent gets my vote - if you must ride. Better not to - but I'm hardly addressing the risk averse, so your choice  ;D.

Heal well :).

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »
I have a tandem, flat bar Dawes Edge, small at the back, that would be OK for a 200.  Midland based.  Willing to have it used by anybody to help Rabbit.  Could DIY from house (also spare room and space doss)

« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2016, 03:54:33 pm »
I also have a Bike Friday tandem that will fit just about anyone!

Could have a mass tandem 200!

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »
My break wasn't as bad as rabbit's and there was no way I could ride an upright tandem. Bent is the way forward.
(I decided even with the option of AH's trike letting the RRTY go was preferable to not healing properly).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
Sigged   :demon:

« Reply #20 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:51:00 am »
Further edited to express dismay and concern about the handlebar tassels.
I assumed that they were to confirm that the airflow was peeling appropriately and not creating adverse turbulence.

« Reply #21 on: 06 March, 2016, 12:33:39 am »
Having stoked longbarrows (albeit fairly briefly) for both Assasin and jes, I'll add to the chorus of voices saying it's probably not a good idea with broken bits.

I know at least one person who's stoked a normal tandem to keep an RRTY going with a broken elbow, but I suspect their break was probably less vulnerable to further damage, and easier to protect from road shocks than rabbit's.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #22 on: 06 March, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »
Indeed, not recommended though there is a picture of me stoking no-handed
I think it was Ann Marshall with the elbow, martin otp would know
you could always do what i did, ie abandon the rrty during the 12th month* and start again (when I finally finished 11-anna-bit months later, i deliberately didn't do one during the next 2-3 months to avoid it becoming a life sentence.)
and gws

*cos weather - I decided about 2am that my overnight DIY in sub-zero snow was best left unfinished
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #23 on: 07 March, 2016, 01:32:02 am »
If Tim's offer doesn't work, maybe it's worth trying to chase down one of the UK Hase dealers  in search of a loaner Pino, which could be steered by TG? http://hasebikes.com/41-0-Grossbritannien.html
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #24 on: 07 March, 2016, 01:32:15 am »
Sorry to hear this news Jo, but my best wishes...

Here is what I did in similar circumstances

A year or three back I broke my left hand, and it was a bad one, operated on, with a titanium plate inserted to hold the various broken bits together. I was told not to ride for at least thirteen weeks, however I'm completely mad, so after three weeks or so, just like fboab, I also borrowed Auntie Helen's 'spare' Trice Q, recumbent tadpole trike.... (Immediately after fboab, as I recall). Once again my great thanks to AH.

It got me round one of postie's 200s with an hour in hand...

I was able to ride it all the way with my left arm comfortably immobilised in a sling, because it had been modified to have both brakes and both gear change controls on the right steerer handle bar....

It was easy to ride, slower going up hills, (but with an amazingly low gear) and faster going down, but I found the hardest part was getting in and out, and of course moving it around when not sitting in it (being effectively one handed). However that was because I was riding alone, and IF you had someone with you, they could hold it still, and haul you out, or lower you into it, so those problems could be overcome.

Postie's ride was by no means flat, but I still got round, and as I had only ridden the Trice Q on two occasions, my legs were NOT used to it. If you were riding somewhere flat, it would be certainly fast enough.

I am not sure whether this one might still be available, but maybe there is one out there that could be lent to you and have all the controls bunched on one side?

If you can get one, and need a 'possee' member, I would be pleased to ride with you, and I bet there would be others too....

Good luck

Mikey

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388