Author Topic: Numb white fingers.  (Read 1702 times)

Numb white fingers.
« on: 08 March, 2022, 08:02:05 pm »
Probably covered elsewhere on this platform, however.
Last Saturday after cycling 150 km in cold wet conditions, I had to buy something in Newmarket as proof of passage for The Horsepower 200. When I emerged from the BP garage my fingers went numb and white almost instantly.  My hands were cold before I stopped but at least they were functioning. For about 10 miles I struggled to change gear and braking was a challenge.  Eventually some feeling came back.
Now this evening after a tough 1 hour 40 minutes pedalling on a turbo my fingers went white and completely numb, only returning to normal during a warm bath. Sometimes I wear a Garmin running watch at night and over 24 hours period to track my HR. At night it drops to 42/3 BPM . I'm aware that athletes and individuals who train their cardiovascular systems tend to had lowered resting HR.
Are there any negative side effects of training . ( Apart from atrial fibrillation). Should I be concerned. Typical 61 year old male not been to GP for years.

Re: Numb white fingers.
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2022, 08:12:16 pm »
I'm sure there are lots of other explanations for lack of circulation in your fingers in certain conditions. The simplest would be being cold, putting a lot of weight on your hands because of your riding position, and having the hands vibrated by our rubbish roads. The turbo is a bit odd though - presumably you were warm enough.

I would say its worth talking to your doctor about - because the symptoms match Raynauds. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/raynauds/ And it is fairly common.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2022, 08:38:36 pm »
Fingers going really white is known as Raynaud's phenomenon. This can be a feature of Raynaud's disease but all Raynaud's phenomenon is not all Raynaud's disease.
It can be a feature of other diseases/problems or it can be pretty benign. Some medications worsen it.
There are several yacf member who have this and there have been several threads in which it features, especially those seeking advice on gloves/hand-warmers.

Keep both your body and your hands warm.
You're not alone!
Seek medical advice if the problem is getting worse.
Avoid beta blockers.

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2022, 08:22:33 am »
Reynaud's is usually triggered by changes in temperature. Going from cold to warm can be as bad as warm to cold.

Shielding your hands and wrists from changes in temperature is the only way I know to avoid triggering.

If you do get it, windmilling your arms around can help. It literally forces blood into the capillaries, opening them up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2022, 09:07:20 am »
Reynaud's is usually triggered by changes in temperature. Going from cold to warm can be as bad as warm to cold.
Indeed, I get it when I step in to shower after a ride!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2022, 10:23:07 am »
I think you just got cold and wet and the blood supply to fingers got cut off to protect the core. As above, windmilling arms if happens again can help, and consider whether to carry an extra layer for your core, plus dry layer changes and / or gloves / mitts in the conditions you encountered.

On the Willy Warmer 200 in Jan which was cold and dry. I took off my mitts at Lambourne whilst I sat outside having some snacks. Took a good 15 mins to warm the hands up again despite a long hill afterwards.  You can cool rather rapidly when you stop and temps are single digits.

If I’ve driven to a winter event I have a dry base layer and down duvet that I change into as soon as I finish.

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2022, 01:46:58 pm »
Thanks for the information and advice. I hadn’t considered a change in temperature either way could set off Reynard symptoms. I’m not on any medication. I must admit, I was thoroughly soaked through by the Tim I’d got to Newmarket (150km approximately).

« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2022, 02:04:45 pm »
Raynaud (Reynard is when you suddenly turn into Laurence Fox - and can be fatal).

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2022, 03:37:19 pm »
Personally, I would suggest not over stressing about this.
You had done 150km in cold wet conditions, gone into somewhere slightly warm, taken your gloves off and then come back out into the cold.  A severe cold response in the context of adrenaline, cold, HR, etc is probably not unusual.  Raynaud's is defined as cold induced, episodic, circumferential blanching extending from fingertip proximally with no areas of redness.  All those criteria are required for the diagnosis.

In you context I suspect it is a one off and I would not worry.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2022, 08:29:03 pm »
No point WORRYING but every point optimising clothing etc for cold conditions; I didn't WORRY about feeling chilled all evening at my niece's wedding. My flimsy party clothes had been drenched by heavy sleet transferring from taxi to venue.
I'd still try to prevent recurrence...