Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2019  (Read 31073 times)

Re: Dutch brevets in 2019
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2018, 09:36:32 am »
Above that list of clubs there should be a text "search"; click on it, type "uk" and select Audax UK (160000). Or maybe they even have your local club listed, try searching!

Thanks, that worked. In addition to "Audax UK" it has both my CTC and club afilliations.

The two Maasland 200s also look well-timed. I can typically get off the ferry from Harwich by about 0815 (if you wheel your bike to the front of the ferry they let you off first) so 13km to a 0900 start looks achieveable.  Where is the actual start? With the return ferry departing at 2200 (checkin deadline 2115) there may be just about enough time for a day trip.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »
I'm also tempted by the Rondje Texel 400. (I live in Cambridge but rode several AUK-validated DIYs in The Netherlands this year, including a 400. They were all great fun). This would be my first proper Dutch brevet.

I'm looking at the online entry form. It asks for your "club", and offers a long list of clubs from around the world, though the list looks broken and incomplete (only A-C) What do other UK-based riders do here?

Nigel

Can we sign up for this one already? Can't normally sign up until about 4 weeks before an event.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2018, 05:25:23 pm »
The two Maasland 200s also look well-timed. I can typically get off the ferry from Harwich by about 0815 (if you wheel your bike to the front of the ferry they let you off first) so 13km to a 0900 start looks achieveable.  Where is the actual start? With the return ferry departing at 2200 (checkin deadline 2115) there may be just about enough time for a day trip.

Here, I think.  At least the 200 did last year..

https://www.twapenvanmaeslant.nl/

« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2018, 11:32:13 pm »
I'm also tempted by the Rondje Texel 400. (I live in Cambridge but rode several AUK-validated DIYs in The Netherlands this year, including a 400. They were all great fun). This would be my first proper Dutch brevet.

I'm looking at the online entry form. It asks for your "club", and offers a long list of clubs from around the world, though the list looks broken and incomplete (only A-C) What do other UK-based riders do here?

Nigel

Can we sign up for this one already? Can't normally sign up until about 4 weeks before an event.

J
Sorry, I hadn't meant to imply that. I was trying out the entry form for another event. I also wanted to find out how payment worked, and discovered I could use PayPal or "credit card" in addition to various Dutch systems.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2018, 11:45:06 pm »

Nigel

J
Sorry, I hadn't meant to imply that. I was trying out the entry form for another event. I also wanted to find out how payment worked, and discovered I could use PayPal or "credit card" in addition to various Dutch systems.

Ah. Had my hopes up. You can also pay in cash at the start when you pick up your Brevet card, tho it's non Obvious how to choose it as an option.

Also discovered I had screwed up my ACP club number thing on some of my Entries, so I am down as NL individual, rather than Randonneurs NL on some of the rides I did. I only realised I'd screwed up when the AUK recorder said something along the lines of "you can use <auk number> instead of NL individual if you want when signing up". Now I make a point to double check the ACP number is right before submitting.

J
--

« Reply #30 on: 19 October, 2018, 08:39:59 am »

Nigel

J

The system is set up to accept international payments. So the usual Dutch, German and Belgian systems + PayPal/Creditcard for those living outside these 3 countries.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:15:32 pm »

My plans for Saturday have been cancelled, so I can make the Zwolle 200. Weather forecast looks promising. Will be trying to do it in a day from Ams, assuming NS are working.

I've had the flu last week, so it's going to be a gentle one for me, just hoping to get round in one piece. Anyone else planning on riding?

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #32 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:35:46 pm »
Yes I'll be there as well.

« Reply #33 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:14:04 pm »
Same for me.

« Reply #34 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:12:15 am »
Everybody is going to be there. First brevet that counts for PBP ;)

I'll be there as well. It's a pity I didn't find time this week to finish building my new audax bike. So, it will be one more winter ride without proper mudguards and a dynamo-powered headlight.

rob

« Reply #35 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:34:19 am »
On holiday in the Netherlands at the moment.   Annoyingly we head home at lunchtime.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:20:21 pm »

Made it round in 13:08. Hit the 200k mark at 12:33. Was a hard slog for the last 30km. beautiful scenery tho. Feet are slowly defrosting. It reached -2°C at its coldest.

Thanks to all who organised.

J
--

« Reply #37 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:15:39 pm »
It wasn't that cold. I didn't even bother to use my winterboots or my neoprene overshoes. That said, I'm not the most standard person when it comes to cold tolerance.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #38 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:09:56 pm »
I'm not the most standard person when it comes to cold tolerance either, so I was glad I picked my winter boots  ;D

The weather was lovely, the mechanicals only minor (loose crank arm and later a loose cleat) but the legs were lousy... Still enjoyed the ride.

« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:16:07 am »
I love it when there is a bit of winter in the air. It was my fastest brevet in the last two years and the first time this year that I rode in a group from the start to finish (excluding the Easter Arrow). Overall, nice social ride through some nice country side (although last year's route was a bit nicer).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #40 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:52:33 am »
The South Sea Ballad is tempting me, but it's a Saturday evening start, and I was talking to my mate in Bergen, NH about going to the Amstel Gold that weekend.
and ferries are already expensive with it being easter...

Also how long does a Schengen Visa application take, just in case it's needed...

« Reply #41 on: 08 November, 2018, 05:06:27 pm »
The South Sea Ballad is tempting me, but it's a Saturday evening start, and I was talking to my mate in Bergen, NH about going to the Amstel Gold that weekend.

Also how long does a Schengen Visa application take, just in case it's needed...

As long as the Irish-Irish border stays open, you can always cross into Schengen via that route. I don't see the Dutch police actively kicking out Brits without visas ::-)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #42 on: 08 November, 2018, 05:27:53 pm »

As long as the Irish-Irish border stays open, you can always cross into Schengen via that route. I don't see the Dutch police actively kicking out Brits without visas ::-)

The problem isn't so much being kicked out as getting in as I'd be traveling after the 29th of March.
And Ireland isn't in Schengen (yet...), so would need to pass through Schengen border controls at Cork or Dublin Port since I don't fly...

Got a rough idea as to how I can travel as sailings from Harwich to Hoek are still cheaper after adding in getting cheap train tickets than Newcastle->Ijmuiden

« Reply #43 on: 08 November, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
Sorry my fault. I always think that Ireland is part of the EU proper...

From both Hook of Holland and IJmuiden you need to cycle a bit to get to a train/metro station (unless they manage to finish the construction works on the new metro line from Hook to Schiedam before next spring). I would cycle from Hook of Holland to Den Haag Centraal (a gentle 20km spin through the dunes) and then it's 40 minutes to Amsterdam Zuid by train (no need to reserve, trains every 15 mins), 7km from the start of the brevet. From IJmuiden, I would just cycle to Amsterdam. It's 30 km from the ferry to the start of the brevet. Or cycle to station Driehuis (5km from the boat) and then it's 30 mins to Amsterdam Centraal (4 km from the start).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #44 on: 08 November, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »
Sorry my fault. I always think that Ireland is part of the EU proper...

From both Hook of Holland and IJmuiden you need to cycle a bit to get to a train/metro station (unless they manage to finish the construction works on the new metro line from Hook to Schiedam before next spring). I would cycle from Hook of Holland to Den Haag Centraal (a gentle 20km spin through the dunes) and then it's 40 minutes to Amsterdam Zuid by train (no need to reserve, trains every 15 mins), 7km from the start of the brevet. From IJmuiden, I would just cycle to Amsterdam. It's 30 km from the ferry to the start of the brevet. Or cycle to station Driehuis (5km from the boat) and then it's 30 mins to Amsterdam Centraal (4 km from the start).

Well it is, but not part of Schengen, one of the few that aren't... The others being at the other side of the continental land mass.
Anyway...

Thanks, if things work out I'd be staying at my friends in Bergen so nearest station is Alkmaar which makes it easy to get to Amsterdam Centraal, but with it being Easter there's the possibility they'll be away, so I've had to ask his wife because she's the clued up organized one!

Ferries to the Hook are now looking considerably cheaper and if I can find a nice route I'd probably ride it in order to get used to being on Napoleon's side of the road  :P

« Reply #45 on: 09 November, 2018, 07:57:13 am »
Hook of Holland to Alkmaar is dead easy and beautiful: just follow the LF1-route along the coast.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »

Well I've booked a room at the stay ok hostel for Friday night (Have a spare bed in a 2 bed room if anyone needs it).

And signed up for the ride on Saturday. Weather forecast suggests force 3 headwind for about 100km, Should make things interesting...

Probably should put the Gp Four Seasons on in time for Saturday.

Anyone else riding?

J
--

« Reply #47 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:16:14 pm »

Well I've booked a room at the stay ok hostel for Friday night (Have a spare bed in a 2 bed room if anyone needs it).

And signed up for the ride on Saturday. Weather forecast suggests force 3 headwind for about 100km, Should make things interesting...

Anyone else riding?

J

My weekend just started, I have to work on saturaday and sunday. So I won't be there.
A lot of people will be thouch, we're already over 70 entries. A lot of Belgians this time.

« Reply #48 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:41:09 pm »

Anyone else riding?

J

I'll be there and I'm staying at the hostel as well. I'll probably be in the bar with a beer around 8pm (in case you're bored and want some company).

« Reply #49 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:18:56 am »
We might hit the 100 riders on saturday. So everyone who's not staying at the hostel, please be on time so there won't be a long line 10 minutes before the ride starts.