Author Topic: A base for a cycling holiday in the Fens  (Read 4626 times)

A base for a cycling holiday in the Fens
« on: 07 September, 2023, 11:48:10 pm »
Got a week or so to take this year, and we are thinking of heading down to the fens: anyone have any recommendations for a base for touring ? Mostly road , can handle some good paths on the tandem.

Alternatively, any other recommendations for where to spend a weeks bimbling about ?
thanks
steve

Re: A base for a cycling holiday in the Fens
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2023, 06:43:36 am »
We (family of five) stayed in an AirBnB in Lutton, just south of Peterborough, a couple of years ago. It was on a farm with exotic animals, which was quite fun! Might be a bit Fen-edge for you, but good routes to Oundle and a hop over the A1M into the Fens proper. Best thing was that there was great storage for the tandems, in a barn. Might be worth checking that though, in case there are now animals in the barn! Oundle is a good place for supplies, but there's a decent farm shop nearby and a village shop a few miles away in Great Gidding. Not far from Holme Fen, the lowest point in the UK, which is very lovely and well worth a visit.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33183939?

« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:00:34 am »
The fens are horrible for cycling - little to see other than fields and sky, mile long straight into a headwind roads, then a 90deg bend onto another mile long straight into a headwind road…
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:01:16 am »
You could do worse than Ely, travel lodge, or b&b. Or even my village, Little Downham has a pub, the Anchor that has accomodation, we also have another pub that does superb Thai food
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:05:51 am »
The fens are horrible for cycling - little to see other than fields and sky, mile long straight into a headwind roads, then a 90deg bend onto another mile long straight into a headwind road…

Thats a very limited  view of the fens, I miss having hills but you paint a very dour picture. We have amazing wildlife, you are within a n hour or two of Cambridge, Newmarket, personally I enjoy heading further east towards Thetford and Lakenheath, and Norwich would not be out of bounds...

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:42:50 am »

Plus, around cambridge, some of the worst roads in the country.

The only place where I've broken a rack and a seat (brooks nose bolt sheered off).

Apart from that, it is lovely.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:47:04 am »
Shortage of suitable bridges in some localities too.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:52:41 am »
Shortage of suitable bridges in some localities too.
That is indeed a problem. Often the only way to get across a river is on an unpleasant main road - and fenland main roads can be unpleasant in the extreme. There is a reason why Lincolnshire has some of the highest road casualty rates in the country.

If you want to go that way, I would suggest edge of fens rather than the fens themselves. My personal choice would be Stamford, whilst it's a few miles from the edge of the fens it is undoubtedly the nicest town in the area, and you also have easy access to Rutland, which is a vastly underappreciated county for cycling.

ElyDave

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:25:53 am »
You all seem to have seen some very different fens to those I've seen, yes I need to use some busy roads for access, but equally I can ride for hours without seeing a car on some roads on some days

My commute home from Cambridge last week for example was very pleasant
- across Cambridge avoiding the tourists along the river, and the cows blocking the cattle grid
- get passed by two cars and a cyclist between Fen Ditton and the Quy Mill Hotel
- get onto the really nice cycle path past Anglesey Abbey
- One arsehole driver between the end of that to where I left the main road at Swaffham Prior
- 3 horses, 5 cyclists and a tractor on the back lanes between there and Wicken Fen
- back road from Wicken to Ely and up the river bank, one dog walker, one runner
- Through Ely, I didn't die, nothing fell off or broke on the bike (I've never so much as broken a spoke in 19 years living here)

Lack of suitable bridges - look at the map and plan your route. What would you do in the lake district, or the Galloway forest - roads are where they are, not necessarily where we want them to be, we need to decide how we use them

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:37:23 am »
If you are camping the C&CC site outside Cambridge is OK & handy for the city.  The Mad Hatters site at Ely is very nice indeed.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:48:28 am »
Stamford is pretty. To the west is lumpy stuff, and Rutland Water etc. To the East is flat stuff.

The Fens are flat. And below sea level.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2023, 10:35:29 am »
Kings Lynn and then you can visit the North Norfolk coast.
I find the fens dull cycling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 08 September, 2023, 12:26:37 pm »
IME cycling in the fens is all about the weather.  If it warm and you've got a tailwind, it's brilliant (at least as long as you don't have to turn round).  At night, a clear sky can be awesome.  But get it wrong and you'll find yourself slogging along Forty Foot Bank in the driving rain, hoping you don't get run into the ditch, or fighting with the fenland hair-drier for 5 hours.

It's okay to visit, but I prefer hills and trees.  Have a Plan B in case of the wrong kind of weather.

« Reply #13 on: 08 September, 2023, 01:26:43 pm »
You could do worse than Ely, travel lodge, or b&b. Or even my village, Little Downham has a pub, the Anchor that has accomodation, we also have another pub that does superb Thai food
Bit harsh, especially as OP specifically plans to cycle in the fens. I get your point but if cycling in the fens for a few days does turn out to be a disappointment it’s still a worthy experience.
20 years ago I cycled to Kings Lynn from North Herts via Potton, Gamlingay, St Ives, Somershom( typo), Chatteris, Littleport. I was with two of my teenage sons, we marvelled at the landscape, nothing like rolling wooded landscape we were used to. On our return journey we were in the teeth of an unremitting headwind, fortunately at 14 years old my boys were able to take turns on the front. We still talk about the experience.
Embrace the Fens.

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 08 September, 2023, 02:03:53 pm »
Bit harsh, especially as OP specifically plans to cycle in the fens. I get your point but if cycling in the fens for a few days does turn out to be a disappointment it’s still a worthy experience.
20 years ago I cycled to Kings Lynn from North Herts via Potton, Gamlingay, St Ives, Somershom( typo), Chatteris, Littleport. I was with two of my teenage sons, we marvelled at the landscape, nothing like rolling wooded landscape we were used to. On our return journey we were in the teeth of an unremitting headwind, fortunately at 14 years old my boys were able to take turns on the front. We still talk about the experience.
Embrace the Fens.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me as a "Bit harsh" - I'm the pro-Fen proponent here.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 08 September, 2023, 02:47:06 pm »

I don't like that part of the world for cycling either.  Give me Wales anytime

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16 on: 08 September, 2023, 02:50:10 pm »

Thats a very limited  view of the fens, I miss having hills but you paint a very dour picture. We have amazing wildlife, you are within a n hour or two of Cambridge, Newmarket, personally I enjoy heading further east towards Thetford and Lakenheath, and Norwich would not be out of bounds...

I have to agree with John...  the Fens don't make great cycling - they're OK to go through to get to other places but they're not really a destination in themselves.

I would head slightly further north towards the north coast of Norfolk.  More things to do and see - and it's not all flat and headwinds.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:01:02 pm »

Exactly this. For day rides I get the train from the fens up to King’s Lynn, and ride North Norfolk. More interesting places to visit, more interesting, little used roads too.

The Rebellion Way cycle route around Norfolk is proving very popular.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #18 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:17:38 pm »
I organise a Fen 200k every Easter; trying to showcase the best places (which involve bulbfields, this time of year sadly it will just be manure and cabbage). I have to admit it would be hard to make more than a couple of days' interesting cycling for a holiday. The Fen is like Holland (The Netherlands bit; it was bulit by the Dutch) but with a few exceptions doesn't have any of the touristy stuff. So sticking a pin into the middle of my ride I'd go for Wisbech.

« Reply #19 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:49:35 pm »
I'm another Fens fan, although happy to agree it isn't for everyone (I'm just south of Cambridge, so our stay in Lutton was as part of a tour to Northamptonshire). The wind can be brutal, that's for sure. But it's often a bit calmer this time of year. I love being out in the Fens, it makes me feel like "ahh, so *this* is where *I* am...". Like you're really part of the landscape. You see these isolated farm cottages or teeny tiny communities, and it's just interesting to think about how people live. So exposed to the elements, and so far from conveniences that town dwellers take for granted.
It's getting close to a great time of year for starling murmurations - would any of the RSPB or similar sites appeal? Welney is superb. Wicken is lovely - I prefer it as a place to ride through (the Lodes Way is one of my favourite routes near Cambridge). Jumping in a car to visit Wicken Fen doesn't appeal.
I'd second the thought about staying in a Fen-edge location, so that you can dip into the Fens and out again.

« Reply #20 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:58:37 pm »
Many years ago I organised a 600 which dipped into the Fens (Isleham to Stoke Ferry, if anyone's interested). It got this reaction from one of the riders:

"What an amazing landscape! There's nothing there!"

Says it all, really.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:01:09 pm »
http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=483505&Y=422565&A=Y&Z=120

The Ousefleet Square. (OK, it's in Yorkshire so not the East Anglian fens, but the landscape is fenland.)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:05:34 pm »
Suffolk is nice. Nothing to strenuous and lots of lane's  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23 on: 08 September, 2023, 09:13:16 pm »

Exactly this. For day rides I get the train from the fens up to King’s Lynn, and ride North Norfolk. More interesting places to visit, more interesting, little used roads too.

The Rebellion Way cycle route around Norfolk is proving very popular.

Another vote for North Norfolk. We holiday in Cromer lots but I venture quite far south into the county. The ridge adds some undulation (nothing hideous but enough to make it different). Some very quiet roads and villages.

« Reply #24 on: 09 September, 2023, 01:37:06 am »
Apologies Ely Dave, I quoted you by mistake, I agree with your sentiments