Author Topic: Good news for Surrey roads?  (Read 1067 times)

Good news for Surrey roads?
« on: 02 May, 2011, 01:47:57 pm »
BBC News - Surrey highways deal sets pothole target

<crosses fingers that the commute becomes nicer>
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Martin

Re: Good news for Surrey roads?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2011, 01:59:57 pm »
oops! my claim must have hurt them a bit

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »
Going by what I found when I went for a couple of rides in Surrey at the weekend, May Gurney are going to have their work cut out. I'd say the report on the linked page about Surrey's roads requiring £400M to get up to scratch gives a more accurate idea of how much needs to be done.

Even the urban main routes are in a worse state than the crummiest rural roads down my way (Hampshire), and that's saying something. :o

Still, it's a start I suppose.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
Are you trying to put me off entering  the Surrey 24h YT??

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2011, 04:10:44 pm »
London 2012 organisers had demanded repairs before the Olympics cycle race passes through the county next year.

Hardly f****** surprising, then! ???
Old enough to know better!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:53:27 pm »
So, let me get this straight: they want the roads fixed. This year. In time for another winter of overloaded lorries, wankpanzers and poor maintenance....to have it all ready for 2012.

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »
If they fix them *properly* rather than waving* some tarmac in the general direction of a third of them and hoping for the best (complete guess based on the state of the roads in Elmbridge), then they might actually last for longer. They're currently so piss-poor because many have been completely ignored for at least a couple of winters on the trot and become progressively worse.

"As part of the agreement, May Gurney will make safe 30,000 potholes each year within 24 hours of them being reported, the local authority said.

Under the previous highways contract, the deal was 19,000 potholes had to be filled each year within seven days."

If 19,000 gives the impression of not dealing with that many, I rather wonder whether 30,000's going to go as far as is needed...

*ok, perhaps a little unfair, but they don't exactly look like long-lasting repairs..