Author Topic: TRP Spyre Brake pads  (Read 7950 times)

Re: TRP Spyre Brake pads
« Reply #25 on: 06 January, 2019, 10:31:01 pm »
another stupid question; you do know that you need to adjust both pads on spyres? And that the pad adjusters on spyres are a bit crap and quite often back out by themselves?  These things can cause the disc to get pushed into the caliper body if they are not attended to.

If I understand your measurements correctly then you have only worn ~0.6mm from your pads; they would each have been ~4mm total thickness originally and if you have 1.8mm of friction material and 1.6mm backings remaining that makes about 3.4mm total thickness.

This is only about half-wear on the pads but if you have only adjusted one pad not both (or the adjustment has backed out by itself), it is enough wear to allow the disc to get pushed into the caliper body on the side where the pad was not adjusted. That will make a terrible noise which will mysteriously be cured when new pads are fitted.

cheers

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2019, 11:15:12 pm »
another stupid question; you do know that you need to adjust both pads on spyres? And that the pad adjusters on spyres are a bit crap and quite often back out by themselves?  These things can cause the disc to get pushed into the caliper body if they are not attended to.

Yep.

If I understand your measurements correctly then you have only worn ~0.6mm from your pads; they would each have been ~4mm total thickness originally and if you have 1.8mm of friction material and 1.6mm backings remaining that makes about 3.4mm total thickness.

That seems very little actually used...

This is only about half-wear on the pads but if you have only adjusted one pad not both (or the adjustment has backed out by itself), it is enough wear to allow the disc to get pushed into the caliper body on the side where the pad was not adjusted. That will make a terrible noise which will mysteriously be cured when new pads are fitted.

I think in day light I may have to measure each pad individually and have a closer look.

I've checked the caliper, and can't see any indication that that the rotor has made contact with it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2019, 07:34:30 am »
it is all rather mysterious; you don't get funny noises for no reason at all, so there is almost certainly something that is not quite right.  I agree that 0.6mm of pad wear would be a very small amount given the mileage, hence my query.

cheers

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #28 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:16:39 pm »
I also have a stupid question. Which of these options are appropriate for TRP spyres? They have done a typically crap job of making their website user friendly but cash is too tight to be spending heaps of dough on brake pads right now :(

i know it's this one but can't figure out what the name is

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSJOBDPSM/jobsworth-semi-metallic-disc-pads

edit; I think it's (Shimano Deore M515 / M475 / C501 / C601 Mechanical / M525 Hydraulic) . Wish me luck everyone.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #29 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:24:01 pm »
Deore M515