Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 101813 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #150 on: 26 March, 2017, 09:21:55 pm »
Yes, thanks to the ACH crew for putting on the ride, first time for me riding the Dean, it lived up to the hype!

Trying to forget about that wind tho...

« Reply #151 on: 26 March, 2017, 10:15:22 pm »
To the whole ACH crew - big thanks to all of you for taking this event on, organising it and making a great day out for us riders to do things that would just seem plain nuts to do on your own! Nice to have company, fantastic weather and a challenging yet scenic route for the whole day. Great to see so many people out on a 300 in March before the clocks changed - if you got back before 2am that is! Fantastic stew, and loved the beer - I thought it tasted better than your average brew, and have put it down to the unique ACH prepping method you put on your facebook page, but wager that you will need a few more ACH members if you are hosting a LEL party!

« Reply #152 on: 27 March, 2017, 03:54:05 am »
It'll be a few weeks before I can laugh , cough or sneeze !
Although the morphine is helping me to actually move in and out of bed at the moment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149003184@N07/shares/0s3M0F

« Reply #153 on: 27 March, 2017, 06:59:35 am »
Far Kinnell.  How did that situation arise?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #154 on: 27 March, 2017, 09:32:21 am »
Far Kinnell.  How did that situation arise?

from the impact, looks very much like car turning right across path of fast moving cyclist.

get well soon.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #155 on: 27 March, 2017, 11:49:26 am »
That crash looks awful. I'm glad you're not too badly injured, Mark.

I was nearly taken out by a big yellow tipper truck being driven at full speed round a blind bend just before the A38 around the 70 km mark. The truck was as wide as the tarmac and I had to dive into the dirt at the side of the road with half a second to spare. He didn't slow down one bit. Inevitably my video camera was between batteries at the time. Anyone else encounter him?

I enjoyed this ride a lot. The whether was relatively kind apart from the cold on the higher ground towards the end. Despite a healthy number of climbs it didn't feel particularly AAA-ish. I was riding my 1x bike (40t x 11-32t) which isn't great for steep hills but I only had to get off and walk once, round the hairpin past the alleged white horse (it was dark) near Marlborough. And those last few miles from Stanford to Oxford to Peartree took forever.

Cheers to the organisers and especially the guys staying out at the finish. You've successfully recruited an ACH member!

I encountered someone in a bad way falling asleep in the garage at Membury services. An older guy on a white Giant. Anyone know if he got back?

simonp

« Reply #156 on: 27 March, 2017, 12:22:12 pm »
Just before the A38? I was close-passed by a flat bed truck there. 200m before the turn.

« Reply #157 on: 27 March, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »
This is the one time i was glad to have two front lights. One failed and I was cold and wanted to keep cycling to stay warm so the other light was bright enough to last the rest of the journey. Some dark lanes out there. I agree with the miles from Sandford to Peartree taking forever.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #158 on: 27 March, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
Although the morphine is helping me to actually move in and out of bed at the moment.

Crickey! That looks shocking. What a pity about the Van Nich. Get well soon!
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #159 on: 27 March, 2017, 04:58:41 pm »

Crickey! That looks shocking.  What a pity about the Van Nich but at least you seem to have come out of this in one piece. Get well soon!
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #160 on: 27 March, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »

Sorry to hear about your ribs - who is the dead guy in those pictures??
<joking>

Blimey. Never seen the front triangle break off a frame like that, certainly not for a rider that (sort of) walked away.

I find the neatly arranged water bottles rather amusing!

GWS
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #161 on: 27 March, 2017, 06:37:52 pm »
Get well soon Mark, if ever there's a gratuitous fracture - it's ribs.

Bet you'll be back in the saddle before me.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #162 on: 28 March, 2017, 01:58:15 pm »
Thanks for the all your well wishes.
I've had a difficult few days but am feeling better today.
I'm hoping to be well enough by Friday/Saturday  to eventually travel home and recover there.
Overall I've been pretty lucky with the injuries considering the force of the impact. Driver said he didn't see me ! He turned right from Tewkesbury Road into Stream Lane right in front of me. The bike hit the near side front light area and I actually felt it collapsing beneath me. I don't remember much after that but must have landed on the windscreen and then bounced into road. I couldn't get my breath at first and had a terrible pain in my left shoulder\back region which I now know must have been because I'd broken my ribs. I'm really grateful to David Foxcroft for stopping and waiting with me ( he took the pics of the collision).
Hopefully be out cycling again in next 4\6 weeks once I've sorted out a new touring bike.

« Reply #163 on: 28 March, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »
I assume that the police are prosecuting the driver and that you will get a nice shiny new VN from his insurance company.  Have you thought about contacting one of those "no win, no fee" companies for compensation for your injuries too.

For now though, get well soon.

« Reply #164 on: 28 March, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
I think Gloucester police  policy is to refer drivers who hit cyclists  for driver awareness courses unless they actually manage to kill them.
I've got a solicitor representing my interests in this through my house insurance legal protection policy so hopefully he'll be able to get the bike replaced and some compensation for injuries and lost income.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #165 on: 28 March, 2017, 07:30:54 pm »
Yikes! That's rotten, but it looks like you were lucky to get away with a handful of busted ribs.

May your recovery be full and swift, and likewise your justice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #166 on: 28 March, 2017, 11:07:12 pm »
First Dean and a bit of an epic. Climbed well, remembering to keep a bit in the tank for later. Mostly by myself so the wind took a toll and I really crawled from then on, average speed dropping from 25 to 21kph and a lot of time hovering around 18. I was passed by a young woman who asked me if I was on the Dean, Don't think she could quite believe that an audaxer could be riding so slowly.... needless to say she disappeared up the road pretty quick. Stop at 200km I realised there were plenty worse off than me... hoping the aussie guy I was chatting to, who seemed pretty wrecked, made it through. At the next services I was surprised to see Agi and Robert there as they are usually a lot faster than me. Turns out they had mechanicals. And a guy turned up who had spent 90 minutes walking to a bike shop to get a new tyre... and he's caught me up! Beginning to feel old and slow, the only way I can keep up with the under 40s is if they have something to wrong... welcome to my future ;-)

Rode the last leg with Mr Colchester and Mr Scientist. We didn't say an awful lot, but the company through the pain was appreciated and thankfully only the one long slow hill in the last leg.

So yes, an epic, but a great ride to have in the legs. Highlights - the climbing in part one in among the lambs and the country and then later topping over the white horse and not walking and then the lovely sunset playing out on the hills down to Stanford - magic.

Thanks to ACH for their inimitable style and making sure this ride stays in the books, it's a good 'un - see you on Sunday for another (shark) bite.

« Reply #167 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:06:31 am »
You got sunset at Stanford and you think you're slow. Some of us had midnight at Stanford!

simonp

« Reply #168 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:25:24 am »
I had visions of a 2am finish until I read that part. My fastest Dean had sunset as I climbed towards Membury.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #169 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:02:28 am »
Ah, to arrive at Membury in daylight. The dream lives on...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #170 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:34:02 am »
You got sunset at Stanford and you think you're slow. Some of us had midnight at Stanford!
Is that what they call humblebragging?

talking about being unbelievably slow for an audaxer while being in the top quartile.

I was happy to reach membury in the light, just. (sun had set but it wasn't dark)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #171 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:07:17 am »
Beginning to feel old and slow, the only way I can keep up with the under 40s is if they have something to wrong... welcome to my future ;-)

Welcome to my world  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #172 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:19:18 am »
Is that what they call humblebragging?

talking about being unbelievably slow for an audaxer while being in the top quartile.

I was happy to reach membury in the light, just. (sun had set but it wasn't dark)

No, not humblebragging, just checked my town names again (sorry not a native, I get confused!) I am revising to Sunset coming off the Ridgeway. Does that make us all feel better?!?!?

I got back about 11:15pm so not in the upper quartile at all. Elasped time 17:12, on the road 14:28.

Maybe I have just got too used to Essex rides where 23.5-24kph is more the norm for me :-)

So I guess I will revise my self assessment to 'oldish and slowish'.

« Reply #173 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:11:25 am »
Hah. Reaching Malmesbury in the dark was my usual Dean.

I'm just lazy though, I could push harder but I can rarely be bothered. I'd rather relax and use most of the available time.

(Only once have I bothered to push a bit harder on an Audax and the organiser at the finish said "What are you doing here at this time!?")
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #174 on: 30 March, 2017, 11:38:45 am »
Somewhat relieved to discover that I'm not quite so far behind such a "slow" rider.