Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195866 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #725 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:52:43 pm »
Hi Reg,

Thank you for the swift reply, this is clear and I think that at the moment it is out of my league. TBH I was asking the question as I was fearing that I would get this answer.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #726 on: 12 January, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »
The >50% DNF rate should inform you about how tough this was.

we did have rather extreme weather conditions last year, which probably accounted for many (half?) of the DNFs

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #727 on: 12 January, 2017, 03:21:18 pm »
Hmm. Day 2 (DNF day) was made harder by the weather being unpleasant at times, but I wouldn't have described any of the weather I encountered as extreme. YMMV, and obviously dependent on where you were at any given point.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #728 on: 12 January, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
The >50% DNF rate should inform you about how tough this was.

we did have rather extreme weather conditions last year, which probably accounted for many (half?) of the DNFs
I must have been on a different ride. There was some rain, but not enough to make anyone pack. Showers on day 1 and some persistent rain on the way to Keilder. But I did not consider it bad.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #729 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:31:52 pm »
I must have been on a different ride. There was some rain, but not enough to make anyone pack. Showers on day 1 and some persistent rain on the way to Keilder. But I did not consider it bad.
BB

The worst was on day 2, and I think that's when most quitters packed including me. ISTR two riders reported being blown right off their bikes that day. I packed because by 4pm I'd only covered 150km and the choice of same again plus a bit to finish that day by around 6am on day 3, or cosy B&B with pub dinner, was a bit of a no-brainer for a lightweight like me.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #730 on: 13 January, 2017, 06:41:36 am »
BB

The worst was on day 2, and I think that's when most quitters packed including me. ISTR two riders reported being blown right off their bikes that day. I packed because by 4pm I'd only covered 150km and the choice of same again plus a bit to finish that day by around 6am on day 3, or cosy B&B with pub dinner, was a bit of a no-brainer for a lightweight like me.
It was the hills, quantity and quality that did for me. This year will be different ....
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #731 on: 20 January, 2017, 07:24:14 pm »
this ride is so scary but still appealling, which of the following is true

I shouldn't enter, leave it to those who are more capable.
Or
go for it, attempting something that may be beyond me is the definition of audacious
?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #732 on: 20 January, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »
this ride is so scary but still appealling, which of the following is true

I shouldn't enter, leave it to those who are more capable.
Or
go for it, attempting something that may be beyond me is the definition of audacious
?
If you do not enter you will never know.

BB

« Reply #733 on: 21 January, 2017, 03:55:24 pm »
The ride scares me too which is why I've entered! I take the view that I was not capable of it last year, so I need to get fitter in order to stand a chance of completing it. I want to get fitter anyway and need an incentive to do so. It's my first 1000 and by far the most climbing I will have attempted, so I'm planning to train smarter and harder than I've done before.

I say go for it and make yourself capable of doing it :)

« Reply #734 on: 22 January, 2017, 06:37:44 pm »
I didn't train for it last year (was it a gold or silver grimpeur award?), as I thought it would be easier than MC2. I only got round through sheer stubbornness!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #735 on: 22 January, 2017, 07:22:28 pm »
I didn't train for it last year (was it a gold or silver grimpeur award?), as I thought it would be easier than MC2. I only got round through sheer stubbornness!
I think my training plan is February AAANFRACTIOUS diy March the Dean  April  Lndon Wales Lindon.  May BCM June ??? Maybe just lots of hill repeat sessions.

Just need a pass agreed before pulling the trigger.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #736 on: 26 January, 2017, 06:49:52 pm »
Whilst out riding the Mere 200 last Sunday I was asked by several riders if entries were still being taken. The answer is yes!

Andy Corless
Event Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #737 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »

It's a tough old ride that's for sure

« Reply #738 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
Whilst out riding the Mere 200 last Sunday I was asked by several riders if entries were still being taken. The answer is yes!

Andy Corless
Event Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Did anyone ask when last year's brevet cards are being sent out?

« Reply #739 on: 27 January, 2017, 11:09:03 pm »

It's a tough old ride that's for sure
Made even tougher when the fast ones get the best beds, camping mats, or even blankets. Being a full value, watch the scenery go by, rider, has its disadvantages!

Andy Corless

« Reply #740 on: 30 January, 2017, 06:05:21 pm »
"Did anyone ask when last year's brevet cards are being sent out?"

Hopefully this next week along with the medals, minus the commemorative waterbottles will have to follow soon afterwards.

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #741 on: 27 February, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
I've had a couple of queries over the weekend asking whether or not entries are still open. The answer is yes!

Everyone who completed last year's edition should by now have received their brevet card and medal. The commemorative waterbottle and T-shirt should be following shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #742 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:50:23 pm »
Yep got mine thanks Andy

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #743 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:40:11 pm »
I've had a couple of queries over the weekend asking whether or not entries are still open. The answer is yes!

Everyone who completed last year's edition should by now have received their brevet card and medal. The commemorative waterbottle and T-shirt should be following shortly.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Thank you very much for the aftercare Andy
It doesn't go unnoticed

Andy Corless

« Reply #744 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:23:34 pm »
"Thank you very much for the aftercare Andy
It doesn't go unnoticed
"

I'm presuming you've now received your waterbottle?

Andy Corless

« Reply #745 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »
Yep. Got the bottle/bidon today, Andy. On the trophy shelf now. Many thanks!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #746 on: 20 March, 2017, 09:32:16 pm »
It's on my bike :thumbsup:

Andy Corless

« Reply #747 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:17:13 am »
Whilst I was away last weekend I had a couple of queries from entrants asking when the route-sheet etc will be available. The answer is probably the first week of June. Most of the route and controls are now finalised with just the usual bits and bats to sort out. I'll try and get it all out earlier if I can.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #748 on: 11 April, 2017, 04:37:42 pm »
Andy how much longer will entry's be open? I have no holidays left from work but I am tying to get some time off but wont be able to get it confirmed for a week or so.

Thanks

Andy Corless

« Reply #749 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:34:36 pm »
Entries should be closed now as I'm only allowing 100 in this time so the central control doesn't become overstretched on the first night like it did last year. However (the usual 'however'), I'm expecting some riders to notify me of DNS as we're now appraching the "reality overcomes virtuality" time of the season. I'll review the entry figure again in a couple of weeks time so entries will likely be open until then. Although I'd get your entry in sooner rather than later.

Andy Corless