Author Topic: CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light  (Read 83601 times)

AndyK

CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light
« on: 22 May, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
 My finger is hovering over the buy button, but thought I'd ask the forum for any experiences of them first. Not a bad price I thought:

On Eboy.

Tail End Charlie

Re: CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:47:18 am »
I've bought a very similar one, it is very bright and lightweight. Quality seems pretty good. Haven't had it long enough yet to comment on longevity but so far so good. At that price it's worth a punt (I paid £37)  :'(

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »
I trust you are not thinking of using that on the road?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

AndyK

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:10:12 pm »
Of course. I see no reason not to.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2012, 02:29:59 pm »
You can't tell from the pictures or the description, whether it's suitable for road use or not.  Even the beam shot doesn't really help.  At the price it must be worth a punt.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
If the head is the same size as the Magicshine units then a Fresnel type lens is available to spread the beam.
Pen Pusher

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2012, 03:37:08 pm »
You can't tell from the pictures or the description, whether it's suitable for road use or not.
Of course it's suitable for road use. The question is whether there is anyone else using the road.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:07:59 pm »
s'alright -  comes in "Strong Brightness, Normal Brightness, Weak Brightness and Strobe" apparently - anyone like to  predict battery life?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »
4 hours on max.

the battery weighs a pound.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rr

« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2012, 06:56:34 pm »

AndyK

CREE XML T6 LED bicycle Light
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »

« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »
Similar style/emitter but from a reputable UK vendor:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-Lm-CREE-XM-L-T6-led-light-brighter-than-900-Lumen-bar-and-helmet-mounts-/290712138971

I've used an XML-T6 torch from that vendor.   Good for 30 mph+ descents on unlit windy country roads.

AndyK

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-Lm-CREE-XM-L-T6-led-light-brighter-than-900-Lumen-bar-and-helmet-mounts-/290712138971

I've used an XML-T6 torch from that vendor.   Good for 30 mph+ descents on unlit windy country roads.

And over twice the price. Reputable perhaps,overpriced undoubtedly. I've had no trouble ordering from China.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
That's a LOT of light for sub £20.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
I wish someone would make a road version of these type of lights, ie with a shaped cut off beam that puts the light down onto the road.

« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2012, 05:43:37 pm »
For that money some stiff alloy foil and a dose of Araldite would see you right.

« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »

And over twice the price. Reputable perhaps,overpriced undoubtedly. I've had no trouble ordering from China.

To me at least, it doesn't look like the cheap model comes with either battery or charger. Perhaps not a bad thing after all, since cheap and unsafely designed battery packs for such lights (eg. Magicshine) have been known to catch fire (especially Li-Ion batteries).

Two other problems have plauged lights like this; the connections often weren't waterproof (nor the battery) making them unrealiable when raining. The attachments often sucked. It has often been the US/EU distributer of such lights who corrected such faults and eg. replaced the battery packs with something safer. Some Magicshine clones have improved over time, others haven't.

The price is very good indeed, but be prepared to expend extra for battery and charger, and be prepared that some fettling may be necessary to waterproof connections etc.
--
Regards

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »
It's a 2-cell light with a standard connector.  Any old battery delivering approx 7-8V will do.  eg a 6-pack of NiMHs.  You might have to check polarity.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

AndyK

« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »
From the linked listing:

Item Includes:   

1 * CREE XML T6 Headlight
1 * Headlight Band
1 * 4400mA Battery
1 * Power Charger
2 * Plastic Rings
1 * User manual

« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:58:33 pm »
From the linked listing:

Item Includes:   

1 * CREE XML T6 Headlight
1 * Headlight Band
1 * 4400mA Battery
1 * Power Charger
2 * Plastic Rings
1 * User manual

Ups, sorry. That info didn't show up in my browser (the rather obscure Konqueror browser). Works fine when using Firefox though.
Amazing price then. Still, it is worth noting, that only the housing is claimed to be waterproof. It probably wouldn't take much to secure the rest if you want to use it in heavy rain.
--
Regards

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »
I'm in 8)
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
The 1000 Chinese lumens torches with handlebar mounts seem to be getting popular round here. £20 or so, with two 3.7v li-ion cells & a charger. Heavier on the bars, of course.

The Magicshine clones should work perfectly well with a 6 volt battery (e.g. a standard Nimh pack, of which I have a few old but still sound ones), BTW. Real Magicshine lights do. A little dimmer than at 7.4V, & it confuses the battery low indicator, but the light is happy to go on shining. The light head has a much lower voltage cut-off than the Li-ion battery, & the battery low indicator shows what it thinks the state of a Li-ion battery is, from the voltage.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:06:42 pm »
Chief of this parish has one of these, pm him, as he doesn't scour the boards. He spoke well of it when I saw him using it.

AndyK

« Reply #23 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
It's here. Took it for a ride last night. I'm impressed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NA9_58JVHC0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NA9_58JVHC0&rel=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZepYDnuWcRE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZepYDnuWcRE&rel=1</a>

« Reply #24 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »
"This video is private"
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.