General Category > OT Knowledge

LED room lighting (again)

(1/77) > >>

rogerzilla:
Not economic or bright enough even six months ago.  But I found new Philips 7W GU10 lamps for £12 each (EDIT: £12.99) on eBay.  2700K "very warm white", 25 degree spotlight beam angle.  They are absolutely brilliant, i.e. they work exactly the same as the old 50W halogens but use 14% of the power (a 172W saving!).  They even look good because the profile of the heatsink happens to match the spotlight fitting as if the two were designed that way.  Payback period should be 2 years or less based on 2.5 hours use per day (it's less in summer and more in winter).

Keep an eye out, because at the RRP of about £30 they are not economic.  Also avoid the versions with a higher colour temperature as they will be nothing like halogen and more like old CFLs.

border-rider:
We have Aurora 8.5 W 35 degree dimmable LEDs in our kitchen.  They are fantastic, though we went for 4200 K colour temp as the 2700s were way too orange for kitchen use.  4 Cree emitters in each.

They did cost £30 apiece though*, so £12 for the Philips ones is a steal.  I might bag some to replace the crappy CFL spots in other parts of the house.

*and there's a lot of them.  In our case it's a 700 W saving,

rogerzilla:
They're also available, and more common, in a 40 degree beam.  The thing I hated most about the Megaman CFL GU10s* was the wide beam (also the sickly colour and the 3 minute - yes really - warmup time), hence I went for the narrowest option here.  They certainly put more light where it's wanted than the halogens.

*stuck with them for 18 months, took them out one Christmas "just for the festivities" and couldn't bear to put them back.  Can lighting inspire so much hate?  Yes!

LEE:
My kitchen has 500W of GU10s right now (that I always hesitate to turn on).  Very interested in this thread.

Do you have a link to the Ebay shop?

With the disappearance of 100w and 60w bayonet filament bulbs I'm also keen to know what LED equivalents/replacements are like.

rogerzilla:
£12.99, my mistake.  Still pays back in two years on my calculation.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220846669263&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

5 left at the moment.  Remember - these are 25 degree spots, which I like but they will leave the floor and ceiling of your kitchen rather dark.  40 degree spots are more widely available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version