Author Topic: MEMWNS/ACME - The Epiphany - Jan 7/8th 2017 - All Welcome  (Read 25403 times)

MEMWNS/ACME - The Epiphany - Jan 7/8th 2017 - All Welcome
« on: 27 October, 2016, 04:29:22 pm »
With the cold coming in and the clocks about to go back it's time to thing of post festive festivities, trophies, Musical Entertainment from our ACME Crooner and his Guitar playing saviour and of course good food and beer (and what ever else OD might decide is a good idea to drink)

The outline plan this year is as follows and will be confirmed closer to the time

Sat Jan 7th
09:00(ish) - Meet at the Battesford Court (JD Weatherspoons) in Witham for Breakfast and Energy Drinks
10:00 - Depart on a Magical tour of Essex at the mercy of the few with the route
13:00(ish) - Arrive at The Whalebone in Fingringhoe for refreshments and Lunch
16:00 - 17:00 - Move on to the evening pub. This has yet to be finalised but it will be either The Swan in Little Totham or The Compasses in Great Totham

The evening will include the presentation of the MEMWNS Trohpy. As the current holder please feel free to send me your nominations for the recipient. I will take nominations from anyone and anywhere and as usual I reserve the right to completely ignore every single one of them  ;D

Can you please either PM me or let me know on this thread if you are interested.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: MEMWNS/ACME - The Epihany - Jan 7/8th 2016 - All Welcome
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2016, 06:23:06 pm »
Pretty sure I'm up for this.... I (four of us) recently dined at The Compasses and had a great meal plus their beer is plentiful and well kept (also a load of cider but not tried that).   :thumbsup:

Distance wise there probably isn't much between them when it comes to return travel for them on the train, for the campers I'm not sure on the facilities at The Compasses?  ???
Regards,

Joergen

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2016, 10:02:56 pm »
This seems to be a very good example of backward planning!

PS - and you have mis-speeled "epi-fanny".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:35:00 am »
This seems to be a very good example of backward planning!

PS - and you have mis-speeled "epi-fanny".
Double Doh!

Re: MEMWNS/ACME - The Epiphany - Jan 7/8th 2017 - All Welcome
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:51:06 am »
In the words of the great James Ingram Yah Moh B There.

Well done committee of one  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2016, 11:05:17 am »
Pretty sure I'm up for this.... I (four of us) recently dined at The Compasses and had a great meal plus their beer is plentiful and well kept (also a load of cider but not tried that).   :thumbsup:

Distance wise there probably isn't much between them when it comes to return travel for them on the train, for the campers I'm not sure on the facilities at The Compasses?  ???
Leave it with me  :thumbsup: I'll be popping down there. The GT Compasses have mentioned camping would be OK in the past (quite a while back) so will remind them of that. The Swan has ample room and I think they even have a power hook-up (JenM  ;D) and Phil said he would be willing to do food in the evening if he knows we are coming (and breakfast for those that want it, although be prepared for a stream of expletives from OD while he sits in the cold with his stove)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2016, 11:30:47 am »
Fantastic tippers, looking good. It will be pure luxury having power for my hairdryer.

I might have to break my epiphany virginity.  :thumbsup:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
We need a poll - "Are you more likely or less to attend this event if OD promises not to sing?"   ;)  *

Let's just hope it's not yet another "no trains to Witham" weekend as I don't want to ECE this one!

* If I tried singing you would definitely all be leaving the pub

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »

The evening will include the presentation of the MEMWNS Trohpy. As the current holder please feel free to send me your nominations for the recipient. I will take nominations from anyone and anywhere and as usual I reserve the right to completely ignore every single one of them  ;D

Can I nominate DL.  His contribution this year has been far more enjoyable than last year's efforts.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:06:09 pm »

Can I nominate DL.  His contribution this year has been far more enjoyable than last year's efforts.

Who is this DL that you speak of.....??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »
I think adding a life to the planet is probably a big enough effort to deserve that fine trophy as well!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:19:32 pm »
We need a poll - "Are you more likely or less to attend this event if OD promises not to sing?"   ;) 

Tough shit, the matter is already in hand  :thumbsup:  I had a brain wave the other night!

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »
We need a poll - "Are you more likely or less to attend this event if OD promises not to sing?"   ;)  *

I'm up for this and have already bought my Christmas bike lights. However, I will only attend if OD promises to sing.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »

I'm up for this and have already bought my Christmas bike lights. However, I will only attend if OD promises to sing.

I don't think you'll be disappointed  ;D  Traumatised ... possibility, disappointed ... unlikely!

« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:05:33 pm »
I plan to meet you before lunch and stay for camping.  The Pelt of Destiny is also raring to go and buffing up his antlers

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #15 on: 10 November, 2016, 12:31:32 am »
I plan to meet you before lunch and stay for camping.  The Pelt of Destiny is also raring to go and buffing up his antlers

Oooh - who will it pass to this time?  (Public Service Announcement:  Those folks shuffling uneasily: do bear in mind, that come the nuclear winter once Trump actually takes power in three months time, you'll be glad of it for insulation)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2016, 12:14:45 pm »
Following on from ted doing the black tie thing for the evening of last this year's event there has been talk of an optional dress code for this next year's event.  So if you fancy it feel free to go formal / black tie / evening wear.  NB this is entirely optional.

MEMWNS/ACME - The Epiphany - Jan 7/8th 2017 - All Welcome *UPDATED*
« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:07:50 pm »
Right folks time for ACTION.

I have now booked us in to both Lunch and Dinner/Prize Giving locations and need to start getting some numbers together. The Details are below, can you please PM me or put your name on this thread if you plan to join us. Please also let me know if it will be for the whole day, just lunch or just dinner.

Saturday 7th January
~09:00 - Meet at Weatherspoons in Witham for Breakfast.
10:00 - Depart Witham on a tour of some of the MEMWNS favourite lanes.....health warning - Light C.O.R and Secret Controls are possible
14:00 - Arrive at our Lunch destination - The Layer Fox, Layer de la Haye.
Later: Leave the layer Fox to our Evening destination which is now confirmed as The Compasses in Great Totham
Later Still: Handing over of the MEMWNS trophy
Even Later: For those brave souls far from home camping is available in the Garden at the Compasses

Notes:
- The Layer Fox would like pre orders, they will be confirming the menu soon. I will make this available as soon as I have it and would appreciate you choices shortly afterwards.
- If you can't make Witham but would like to join us along the route or at one of the pubs please let me know and if you would like a suggestion on trains etc. that make it easy to find us
- I am Swiss....we will leave Witham at 10am  ;D but for the rest of the day I will be a Kiwi and not care much.
- Greater Anglia currently look to be running a Full Saturday Service

Current Role Call I have is below (let me know if I have it wrong):
Jiberjaber - Full
Tedshred - Full
Carlosfandango - Full
bhoot - Full
fhoot - Full
Oscars Dad - Full
JenM - Full
Flatbar Steve - Full
Tomsk - Full
Tippers Kiwi - Full
Oaky - Full
Psyclist - Lunch possible dinner
Bobb - Lunch
Wowbagger - Lunch
Andy C33 - Full
Straggler - Full
Huggy - Full

OH YES > PLEASE PM ME YOUR NOMINATION FOR MEMWNS OF THE YEAR

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
Yippppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we set off now?!?  Yes, count me in for the full experience.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #19 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
+1 - count me in for the whole experience, please.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:31:17 pm »
+1 - count me in for the whole experience, please.

We can test our high octane French meths  :thumbsup:

Also tippers, please can you arrange for it to be freezing cold on Saturday night as well?  I'm still pi55ed off that my winter camping kit has never been properly tested. 

« Reply #21 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
Just for you I have ordered such conditions. However apparently my recent Sunday activities do not put me at the top of the good boys list with 'the man' so anything could happen. I have my mankini and narrow carbon saddle ready just in case it goes the other way.

« Reply #22 on: 12 December, 2016, 06:09:41 pm »
Splendid! Count me in for the full experience.
Ta

« Reply #23 on: 12 December, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »
Yes to meeting at Witham and lunch. Dinner is a possible at the minute, depending on the below.

What time is dinner planned? I'm looking at options to extricate myself from the eastern fringes of mid-Essex, and the only feasible transport option seems to involve pedals.

Thanks for organising, and may the sun gods enjoy a happy christmas.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #24 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
Dinner has been known to be beyond the planning stage. I suspect we will head for the Compasses in Totham between 4 and 5 (ish) though and I think it would be pushing it to take an hour to cover the distance.