Author Topic: Recommend me a route into Bristol from NE  (Read 1217 times)

Recommend me a route into Bristol from NE
« on: 21 February, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »
I'm planning a DIY to Bristol next month to have dinner with the daughter to celebrate her getting a PhD place at Cambridge for the next 4 years.
I will be coming from Leicester and already have a handy route I've used a few times to Broadway and Dumbleton, so I'm looking for a nice quiet route of 100 km or so from there to Victoria Square Clifton (and if it passes River Cottage Canteen on the way so much the better in case I'm late!) . Last time I rode down I went via Ross on Wye and took 2 days but ended up around Seven Beech, Avonmouth on the way in and the A38 on the way back so I'm looking for a nice quiet route of 100 km or so to make up the 200.
Any technical expertise and detailed local knowledge ,would be very much appreciated.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Recommend me a route into Bristol from NE
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2017, 03:04:05 pm »
Detailed local knowledge: the mulberry(?) tree at the SE corner of Victoria Sq is extremely climbable; the chippie just the other end of the Square is expensive (but then it is Clifton); the cider in the Albion is strong (or used to be). Rough route in from NE, I'd say you could come in via Pucklechurch and pick up the Yate spur of the Bristol-Bath path, then cut across through Old Market, Castle Park, the Centre and up Park St. That won't take you past River Cottage Canteen. Will think properly in a while!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »
I think if you're heading for that side of Bristol and coming from Broadway, I wouldn't come in from the NE. I'd go down through Wotton-under-Edge, Charfield, Cromhall, Tytherington, then head for Winterbourne and something like this:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13060881
Which will take you past River Cottage Canteen on Whiteladies Rd and on to Victoria Square.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2017, 09:13:19 am »
+1 for the route from Wotton - that was my old commute.

Personally I wouldn't go as far as Dumbleton, as then you will have to go through Cheltenham or Gloucester, neither of which are particularly pleasant. Instead I'd head along the Cotswolds from, say, Chipping Campden. The most obvious route would be via Temple Guiting, Andoversford, Birdlip, Bisley and Nailsworth, though there is a nasty main road between Andoversford and Birdlip. However this can be avoided if you go to Bisley via Cowley and Brimpsfield. There is an alternative route from Temple Guiting to Nailsworth via Salperton, Withington and Winstone, but this is a bit lumpy in places (particularly around Withington). Both of these should be quiet and scenic.

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »
Detailed local knowledge: the mulberry(?) tree at the SE corner of Victoria Sq is extremely climbable; the chippie just the other end of the Square is expensive (but then it is Clifton); the cider in the Albion is strong (or used to be). Rough route in from NE, I'd say you could come in via Pucklechurch and pick up the Yate spur of the Bristol-Bath path, then cut across through Old Market, Castle Park, the Centre and up Park St. That won't take you past River Cottage Canteen. Will think properly in a while!
[
Is that a black or white mulberry tree ?  James I, I believe, has form on getting them mixed up.

Seriously, thanks to both for the advice.