General Category > On The Road

What's the worst thing about cycling? Other cyclists.

(1/13) > >>

jimini:

Evening all. Would be interested on others' thoughts on this article from the Grauniad over the weekend:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/05/worst-thing-about-cycling-other-cyclists

I've been thinking similar thoughts a lot over the recent months. It does - as you would expect - peak in the summer and then fade away as the nights draw in and there's only the more dedicated two-wheeled commuter left on the roads like us, but this summer in particular is driving me a little bit loopy.

I used to be a resident of Tooting so I was a CS7 type of commuter, but I've been in South Woodford for the past three months and, if anything, the issue seems more prevalent in inner north east London. The usual things like RLJing are the most regular causes of frustration, along with the usual people who push in front at ASLs only for us to have to overtake them again on the next portion of road. Some of the road etiquette on display on the Shoreditch High Street > Old Street roundabout portion of my journey in particular do my blood pressure no favours, not least because of some of the (I can only assume) ignorant yet dangerous risk-taking manoeuvres I witness on a daily basis.

So as I said, I was wondering about your collective take on this article and its sentiments. From a personal perspective my initial thought was "thank god I'm not the only one feeling this frustration". It saps a lot of the enjoyment out of pedalling for me personally.

I'd like to offer some sort of solution to the problem but, along with whoever wrote the article, I suspect there isn't one. All that notwithstanding: does the forum agree or disagree with the article? I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts. Cheers - Jim.

spindrift:
complete rubbish, they've ripped it apart here

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/jul/07/other-cyclists-scariest-thing-bike-nonsense

clarion:
The response by Peter Walker is a much more sensible article.  I thought the original piece was a bit silly.

Jaded:
"says one jaded cyclist"

Not me mate.  ;D

Basil:
"Peter Walker"?  Hmm.

Anyway, I will say, of course other cyclists don't cause me more danger than other traffic.  But other cyclists do often piss me off more than other traffic.
And this is not a new thing for me - I've thought this now for a long time.
Ymmv

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version