Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 128184 times)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #100 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »
And more often that not (in our household), it gets referred to as friendface.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #101 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »
This thread has just reminded me to get on and delete my account. I don't care if other people use it as long as they don't talk to me about it. I find it sinister.

MattGS

• :)
« Reply #102 on: 23 February, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »
Facebook just has too many kids on it, You can keep in contact with your true friends by many otherways instead!

AndyK

« Reply #103 on: 23 February, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »
Facebook just has too many kids on it,

Not if you don't add them to your friend list.

« Reply #104 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »
This thread has just reminded me to get on and delete my account. I don't care if other people use it as long as they don't talk to me about it. I find it sinister.

Your pupils been stalking you?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #105 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
It certainly has the potential to be far more sinister than Rupert Murdoch.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #106 on: 24 February, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »
Is it creepy too?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #107 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:56:45 pm »
Yes, but I hardly have any friends on there (or anywhere else, ha.)

I used to be a regular user and then I got bored and closed the account. I only went back when I changed to a WP7 phone, and couldn't use the Android Words With Friends app so use the FB app instead.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #108 on: 03 March, 2012, 10:45:55 am »
Yes.  But am idly considering not being for a while.  Apart from anything else there's a significant overlap between there and here.

gordon taylor

« Reply #109 on: 03 March, 2012, 02:55:04 pm »
Yes.  But am idly considering not being for a while.  Apart from anything else there's a significant overlap between there and here.

That's interesting, I'm spending much less time on here and more on Facebook. I get a much broader picture of real life on FB because (I think) only a proportion of "friends" on there are cyclists. There's also much less discussion and no arguing.

Edited: I've also realised that when I post on Facebook about cycling, I'm writing for an audience that are, on the whole, non-cyclists. I'm therefore more upbeat and positive compared to my attitude on here.

MarkA

« Reply #110 on: 09 March, 2012, 01:20:46 pm »
I'm not on Facebook.  I do know (from discussion in the office) that if I joined I would be able to engage in afterwork conversations with the people I already spend an avaerage of 9 hours a day working with.  I have not found this a sufficiently compelling reason to join.  The (few) real world freinds I have are not on it.  So no reason to join (other than idle curiosity) and some significant concerns about security and wasting even more time on the web than I already do.  If I did have some reason to join then I probably would do so.

Some posts on this thread have made me wonder if I'm mising out though.

rogerzilla

« Reply #111 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:48:44 pm »
I'm put off mainly by the leftpondianism of it, then the privacy/security thing.  My wife is a heavy user and most of the "updates" seem to be trivial, verging on banal.  Most of her friends are women though  :demon:

rogerzilla

« Reply #112 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:49:16 am »

« Reply #113 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:21:15 am »
A lady Customer of mine informed me that everybody is on Face Book.

I replied "I'm not" and she replied "but you're not Thai"

"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #114 on: 16 March, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
I don't know if the ads on facebook are targetted as they are in Gmail, but I was intrigued and had to click on this product when it came up as an ad when viewing facebook

http://www.coloplast.co.uk/products/samples/speedicath_compact_male/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=SCCM

« Reply #115 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:00:55 pm »
I don't know if the ads on facebook are targetted as they are in Gmail, but I was intrigued and had to click on this product when it came up as an ad when viewing facebook

http://www.coloplast.co.uk/products/samples/speedicath_compact_male/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=SCCM
Loads of friends have reported seeing that one.  They've decided it's probably age related.  :demon:

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #116 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »
I see far too many Facebook ads referring to women of 53 for this to be a coincidence.

« Reply #117 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »
I see far too many Facebook ads referring to women of 53 for this to be a coincidence.

You want to buy one?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #118 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »

You want to buy one?

No. Do you?  ;) ;D

« Reply #119 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:17:53 pm »

You want to buy one?

No. Do you?  ;) ;D
You're not going to get me into trouble that easily.

« Reply #120 on: 20 March, 2012, 06:56:38 am »
I'm on it. Mostly to keep up with some friends from other online places that have fallen out of use. Would never consider adding colleagues as friends and there are a number of RL friends who have been added then promptly unfriended for their tendancy to be spam.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 20 March, 2012, 04:33:48 pm »
Some of the people I know post large volumes of 'funny' posters, eg LOL cats. I want to know what's happening in their lives, not share third party 'humor' [sic] and 'wisdom...

« Reply #122 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »
I'm on it because some of my friends posted pictures of me and linked my name to it!! Argh. ::-)

Not a good move. Constantly I get asked to be someone's friend whom I barely know and those same people play stupid games all the time and "want to show me their special egg" or some such nonsense.  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

« Reply #123 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »
According to The Register, some employers now ask for your username and password to FB if you apply for a job.

It's always fun to walk out of job interviews when you realise you don't want to work there anyway.

« Reply #124 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:28:21 pm »
According to The Register, some employers now ask for your username and password to FB if you apply for a job.

It's always fun to walk out of job interviews when you realise you don't want to work there anyway.

There were stories about this happening in the USA a year or two back, and judging by the report in the Torygraph's tech pages, that is still the case. Though one of the comments there suggests that this practice is as close as you can get to it being an urban myth while still being technically correct...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche