Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 128258 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #250 on: 17 June, 2013, 11:45:57 pm »
Mattc is, of course, quite correct (not that I know which web site he is referring to) but I would prefer to have no reason to moan and to learn not to even when I have cause to.
Could be you're on it now.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #251 on: 17 June, 2013, 11:59:37 pm »
Could be you're on it now.  :)

Gosh, did I really miss such an obvious hint? I do find YACF to be better than FB so it's a pity that most Slovaks seems to use Facebook so I need to be on it.

I should think the reason they blocked you was because you added a large number of friends so quickly after making the account. This is what people do who are creating 'multi' accounts to play some of the Facebook app games that are based on amassing large powerful 'mobs' or where you need 'friends' who play too to give gifts to each other to help each other get ahead etc.

If you want to get round it try adding a dozen friends every couple of days until you have everyone you want on it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #252 on: 18 June, 2013, 07:25:56 am »
440 friends?  ??? :o

No wonder I don't bother getting a face-ache account.  I don't even know 440 people - and I'm including people I only "know" on-line in that figure.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #253 on: 18 June, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
Yes, I have always used my real name, both on the account that was blocked/deleted and now the new one.
Pleased to see you back!
I don't think you've been back long enough for The Powers That Be to form any real impression.
Maybe you should only 'friend' five people per day.
IDIOTS!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #254 on: 07 July, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »
Latest picture of 99.5 year old great uncle shows him lounging in his garden in July sunshine while his 63 year old son shows him something on his smartphone.
Son is wearing hi-vis FFS!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #255 on: 16 July, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »
Today's "features":

- A photo I posted disappeared 10 mins after posting.

- "Previous Comments" link does nothing useful.

:facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #256 on: 16 July, 2013, 06:26:21 pm »
Latest picture of 99.5 year old great uncle shows him lounging in his garden in July sunshine while his 63 year old son shows him something on his smartphone.

Perhaps great-uncle is hard of seeing and bumps into things.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #257 on: 16 July, 2013, 11:15:38 pm »

Perhaps great-uncle is hard of seeing and bumps into things.

Perhaps. Perhaps 30 years in the USA have caused cousin totally absurd risk-averse behaviour. Went to Tate with my Mum and same cousin and Mum had to ask him to remove his hi-vis...

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #258 on: 07 August, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »
Dez suggested to me that I might like to find music by signing up to something called "Spotify" but it wouldn't let me create an account without being a facebook person.

That sounds a bit odd...I don't have Faceache but do have Spotify

« Reply #259 on: 12 August, 2013, 07:56:58 pm »
Dez suggested to me that I might like to find music by signing up to something called "Spotify" but it wouldn't let me create an account without being a facebook person.

That sounds a bit odd...I don't have Faceache but do have Spotify
Year ago it was still possible to create an account without Facebook credentials.

« Reply #260 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:34:08 am »
I have never had a facebook account. Somehow I could resist the urge of joining and now I am really happy I didn't feed them with all my personal data :)
run boy run

« Reply #261 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:24:51 pm »
So people think that just by not having a Facebook account, their data isn't in Facebook? Think again

http://www.groovypost.com/news/facebook-shadow-accounts-non-users/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

« Reply #262 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:15:34 pm »
Maybe you are right and there does exist a Shadow profile, but at least then the information "they" have isn't as accurate as if I had given it on a voluntary basis. Also, I reckon it must be harder to draw connections between who I am friends with.

I am perfectly aware that no one who makes use of the web stays "invisible" and there is also data being collected but that's exactly why I don't feel any urge to feed companies with my personal data.

Just my personal two cents though, I am far from critisizing anyone who uses facebook. It's just not for me.
run boy run

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #263 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »
My mother is not on Facebook but I see my 99.7 year old great uncle (who is on Facebook) visited her flat last week...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #264 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:23:05 pm »
I resisted it until it became the only practical way to exchange messages with a chum whose ISP took a scunner against mine. Since then, most of my far-flung family (splat) and just about all the local cyclists I know have joined. Great for news, but I can't make sarky remarks about one set without pissing off the other set.

I rarely put pics on FB: I'd rather put them on my PBase account and link from there, since it leaves the copyright info intact (FB strips it out). If I do post pics on FB I usually superimpose a copyright message over them.

I don't log into other sites with FB, because they demand access to all my FB data. It's probably futile to consider that any kind of ID protection, but it feels more comfortable.

I don't play games. Waste of time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #265 on: 13 September, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »
Magnoliette numero uno is approaching official face book age.
She has no FB that we know of,and is ambivalent about wanting one.
Apparently its 'ok for mums, but it's not really for people my age'
Snapchat currently rules apparently. That's all a bit fast and tricky for me,which I guess is most of the point.

« Reply #266 on: 13 September, 2013, 08:45:55 pm »
I'm currently getting plaintive emails from FB, telling me how much I've missed since my last visit.

« Reply #267 on: 13 September, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
I'm currently getting plaintive emails from FB, telling me how much I've missed since my last visit.

Me too, I seem to get them every few days at the moment, I don't visit facebook.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #268 on: 14 September, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »
Magnoliette numero uno is approaching official face book age.
She has no FB that we know of,and is ambivalent about wanting one.
Apparently its 'ok for mums, but it's not really for people my age'

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Most of my FB friends are over 25...as would be expected of a 55 year old.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #269 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:35:24 pm »
Every once in a while I do that 'checking what your timeline looks like to ppl who don't know you' thing.

My life appears to consist entirely of gigs, the odd play, music, articles and blogs about feminism... and bridges.

There is very little public cake.

Who'dathunkit.

« Reply #270 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »
Whereas mine is a succession of Mighty Grease Laden Breakfasts
:thumbsup:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #271 on: 14 October, 2013, 07:48:07 pm »
Whereas mine is a succession of Mighty Grease Laden Breakfasts
:thumbsup:

Mines is probably the only facebook timeline in the world which has pictures of moths, flora, fauna and plastic modelling kits on it!   :smug:

« Reply #272 on: 14 October, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
It would appear that I had been reactivated.   Hopefully I've stopped that again... !

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #273 on: 23 October, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
In protest over the video of a person being beheaded posted to facebook.

Facebook has been bothering me for some time now.  It is not the privacy issue, because I only post stuff I want to share with my friends.  It is the way I am supporting a business with very loose ethics which is slowly wearing away my tolerance.  However, facebook's recent attitude to violent videos has finally tipped the balance and I have decide to protest to facebook in the only effective way I have.  To remove my account.

Facebook has become so ingrained in the way in which we share information, promote events and keep in touch that it is difficult at first to see how to remove myself from it and yet stay in touch with all my friends.

So I have a plan:
1. Make sure my email address book is properly up to date, and go back to using email to write to friends, share pictures and stay in touch.
2. I have a blog, I have editorial control over this and enjoy sharing information publicly via that - I can encourage my friends to subscribe to the blog if they are interested. www.balancingontwowheels.com

So over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be repeating this post as I tidy up my facebook affairs, remove content, and ask friends to send me their email address so I can stay in touch.  I hope that I don't lose contact with my friends because of this, but I feel strongly that I cannot continue to "have fun" and "happily arrange social events" within the program that is facebook, a program which enables bullying and doesn't care where it makes money so long as it continues to grow.

To my friends - let's stay in touch - send me your email addresses and I will update my  address book.

God bless.
shyumu
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #274 on: 23 October, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »
So over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be repeating this post as I tidy up my facebook affairs, remove content, and ask friends to send me their email address so I can stay in touch.  I hope that I don't lose contact with my friends because of this

You will, I guarantee it.  That's what happens when you put dancing pigs inside a walled garden.  It's depressing how much I find out about what my friends are doing only because I happen to ask barakta what's she's giggling at.