General Category > OT Knowledge

Shed/ garage alarm

(1/3) > >>

velosam:
I have a detached garage/ shed which is not connected to the house alarm.

Given the spate of recent burglaries in the area, I would like to get it alarmed.

I can see some cheap PIR battery operated ones, but I am guessing once in they can just see them and smash them.

I was thinking of getting those and a anti poacher device, but the trip wire thing bothers me, but I like the idea.

Any recommendations of what I could do?

thanks

Pedal Castro:
I have just alarmed my garage with a Yale wireless system from Mapln. It's set to go off as soon as movement is detected, no way they can locate and smash both PIRs before the alarm sounds. I also have a contact sensor for the main doors but haven't put that on yet.

Chris S:
Just a motion alarm on its own is a pain - when you get an alarm, there's no actual way of knowing if it's a false positive or not, if you're not at home.

I added a motion triggered WiFi camera which emails me when it detects motion, thereby corroborating or otherwise, the old motion alarm. Moving to a house with power in the garage widened the options available; the previous garage had no power, and it took a while to find a device that was (a) battery powered, and (b) mobile phone based (I don't want an audible alarm - everyone just ignores them anyway).

velosam:
Cheers, I have power but am confused as what to get.

Apparently there have been 27 robberies in the area in the last week so I really should sort something out.

I am also considering some sort of camera system for the driveway and front of the house.

Tail End Charlie:
Years ago I bought a wireless system, it has a solar panel to keep the internal battery topped up. The only wire is from the control box to the outside siren box. The PIRs can be placed and moved at will. For instance, if I'm off early in the morning and have put my bike in the rear of the car, I can put a PIR in for extra security. Bonus is using a key fob to turn on and off. I think they're still only £150 or so and you can add more PIRs as you think fit. I have many house, garage and shed alarmed with the system.
Cameras are a waste of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version