Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152870 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #375 on: 01 April, 2018, 07:28:30 pm »
Impromptu 200k DIY ride home from Edinburgh to Aberdeen today...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1483859010

Nice  :)  221km @ ~29km/h, in the cold, is good going!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Bairn Again

« Reply #376 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:11:17 am »
I rode my standard winter 200 yesterday, from home in Edinburgh to Bridge of Allan, back home for lunch and then out to Gullane in East Lothian and back home.  Id toyed with a 400 starting 8am but it really was going to be too cold for me to contemplate a 400. 

I can normally knock off a 200 with a single stop but low temperatures make me stop more frequently and for longer so I stopped in McStirling at 65km and again at home around 125km.  Winds were light to start with but the flags at the caravan depot (40km then 80km) suggested it was against me both ways!  The sun had alos disappeared around 1000 and it didnt return.  The wind strengthened as I got closer to home and while I was riding into it I knew it would mean a tailwind for the last 40km or so.  Easter Sunday meant traffic was heavier than normal and the third world road surfaces in Edinburgh kept me on my toes.  I didnt see too many cyclists though I did encounter David Stark coming the other way near Bo'ness and a group carrrying large musical instruments on cargo bikes near Seton Sands. 

I had no zip in the legs from the off and it really was a slog, but I got back home in a tad over ten hours. 

« Reply #377 on: 02 April, 2018, 11:47:45 am »
More Fenland fun DIYing home from the Double Dutch, North into the wind as far as Wisbech with breakfast along the way at the legendary Green Welly.  Then West through Crowland and thankfully into some hills after crossing the A15.  I don't know how people deal with riding in the Fens, it makes a nice change but I wouldn't want all my rides to be like that, I saw very few cyclists out compared to how many I'd expect to see on a Sunday locally.  And it wasn't even that windy.  Got a bit confused when I crossed the A607 thinking it was the A606 and I was 15km further along...  I'd planned to stop at the A1 services at Colsterworth, but didn't like the look of the slip road so pressed on.  Stopped for a coffee and break at a lovely but almost empty country pub in Sproxton, I don't know how such places keep going.
All in all a pleasant ride, a bit damp at times and I got wet feet on a flooded road early on and they never fully dried.  A bit slower than I'd hoped and small beer to some, but this is the first time I've done back to back rides since an accident a year ago, so well pleased with that.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1484427369

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #378 on: 20 April, 2018, 02:52:24 pm »
The Malverns are the most beautiful hills in Britain. The sight of them from the east, rising green and purplish, ancient and lumpy from the surrounding flatlands, never fails to uplift the heart. So how come I've never ridden them? Maybe they've always seemed a bit too far or perhaps just too hilly. But yesterday was the day for a Cheeky Thursday 200 in glorious sunshine to the Magnificent Malverns.

Up through Hill and Berkeley to Gloucester, stopping off at Attwooll's in Whitminster for elevenses. A bit early really, but it's in a convenient place. Initially I ordered a toasted sandwich then decided it was just too hot (already!) for that, so changed it to a plain ordinary cheese and pickle sandwich, which was very good, followed by a slice of chocolate cake, which wasn't; dry, too sugary and not chocolatey. Made me feel a bit sick in fact.  :-\ On into Gloucester and out through Maisemore, past the beekeepers' and up the hill to get the first sight of the Malverns as well as an equally beautiful view of the Cotswolds to the other side.

Before long I had almost reached Upton, but instead of turning right on the main road and then crossing the Severn, I turned left on a tiny, somewhat gravelly lane, heading due west to the Hills. Gosh, they looked steep! Are those really houses on them? How do they not slide down the slopes? Past Malvern showground (nothing on, looks a bit like an army barracks) and into the town of Malvern Wells, where I stopped at the first shop I saw for more water (aaah! cold!) and an it's-all-fuel sandwich. Then up and up and out of town. It turns out as I'd half expected that the road over the Mendips to Colwall is not a demanding climb at all, just a steady gradient. Some of the streets in the town are far steeper and I suspect if I lived there I'd do a lot of pushing and also use a lot of brake blocks! Right at the top of the climb the road does a right-angle turn into a sort of short rocky gorge or cutting – I'm not sure whether it's natural or man-made – at the end of which is the most gorgeous view of Herefordshire and Wales. I stopped on an old (Victorian?) iron bench to admire the view, apply sun screen (too late; today my arms look like a particularly embarrassed lobster after a tomato fight) and think about staying there till it got dark. It was so hot I hardly had energy to roll down the other side!

But of course I did, rattling unnervingly all the way. Stopped at the bottom and found it was bottle cage bolts, the ones on the seat tube, which I don't use much. What makes these come loose? Being a well-prepared audaxer in the self-sufficient spirit (or maybe just by luck), I had the appropriate tool to do them up. Colwall, at the bottom of the hill, is notable for nothing at all except a skew bridge over the railway with traffic lights at each end. Luckily they understood that cyclists always deserve priority and gave me the green light. Then along tiny and steep lanes, one of which bore the name Cut Throat Lane – must be a story there – and into Ledbury, which I'd never been to before. It's a pretty market town with lots of non-chain shops. My eye was caught by a yellow-fronted ice cream parlour and the gooseberry sorbet I had must have been the world's most delicious ice cream. Loads of cyclists out here, maybe they were all on cheeky Thursday 200s?

More lanes followed, all new to me until Dymock and then I was getting back into familiar territory. Sure enough, here was Newent. Under the remains of the old railway bridge and it'll be straight on at the slightly staggered crossroads. No! The track is routing me off to the left, straight along the B4125! Well of course, it's the most direct way back to Highnam and Gloucester. A little bit busy at that time but correspondingly fast.

Through Gloucester, which was in linear car park mode, and out through Stonehouse. Tempted for a second by chips, but no. Frocester, Cam, join the A38, loads more cyclists again, mostly looking as if they were in training for a TT – though one chap looked quite mixed up, he had a Bambino aero helmet and a big, baggy fluoro jacket and was coasting along. Tempted again by the woodfired pizza place just before Berkeley, one day I really must try them. Temperature was dropping and I'd put my long-sleeved jersey on.

On the outskirts of Bristol, just before the ex-runway at Filton, there's a choice; over the flyover or use the lights? The flyover is quicker and more thrilling but takes that little bit more energy, which I wanted to save for Filton Hill. On this occasion the choice was made for me, as the flyover was closed off, as was all the road from it to the bottom of Filton Hill. I was able to get through by riding along the pavement (there were no pedestrians around) then had the whole Hill to myself! And so home.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #379 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:21:00 pm »
Not quite today - like cudzoziemiec I took the opportunity of the good weather on Thursday.  Number 5 of (touch wood) 12 in my first Rrty attempt.  My usual DIY route in South Durham and North Yorkshire, early start to avoid traffic on the main road down to Northallerton then to Topcilffe.  And minor roads for the rest of the day.  For the first time this year, warm weather meant that I could rely on waterbottles and didn't need to carry a flask for a hot drink.  Although a water top up was need part way through, I went through a lot of fluids.

Instead of a pub breakfast to warm up at the half way point, I carried my own food so was able to minimise non-cycling time.  The heat was a bit of a novelty, it seems like a long time since I was cycling in shorts and short sleeve top - and still felt hot.  Forgot about sunscreen on the back  of my hands, so another cyclist with a strange tan on my hands / wrists matching the gap in my cycling gloves.

It was a good day out, and a relatively good time for me with only one small deviation from the route. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Bairn Again

« Reply #380 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »
Id entered the Yorkshire Gallop and had booked travel / accommodation in advance.  However a combination of (a) good weather and (b) the prospect of no cycling in the subsequent 3 weekends made me believe a DIY 400 was better than ECEing the YG into a 400.

I sent my final work email at 1659 and was under way shortly after on Friday. 

My route was from Darlington south to Ripon York Airmyn to Kirton, and a simple retrace.   

The busy traffic on the A167 and from Northallerton to Leeming Bar was soon forgotten over a lovely fish and chips dinner in Ripon before a pleasant evening pootle down towards York via the old Aldwark Bridge.  I stopped to put lights on just before joining the A19 and carried on through York for a stop at Airmyn (150km) where it had got distinctly cooler with little mist pockets that were even colder.  I carried through Scunthorpe towards the furthest point south (Kirton in Lindsay) where I reached the 200km point in just over 10 hours.

I headed back north which was a morale booster in itself (see Tom Deakins PBP 2007 at Brest) and I knew I only had another hour of riding in the dark back to Scunthorpe, as Id promied myself Id stay there til 0500 and daylight.  Thankfully the Saturday night revellers had long dispersed when i reached McDs in Scunny, though the place was clearly in need of a tidy up.  I locked my bike and had 40 winks after a coffee. 

Under way again and daylight resulted in more traffic so I elected to head north via Crowle and Goole to pick up the my route again.  Id aimed to reach York and 300km by 0900 but a few roadside stops (just to relieve the monotony) made me slip behind that plan.  On the way north just before Swinefleet I was treated to the sight of a deer running through the field on my right keeping pace with me then advancing in front.  As it crossed in front of me it slid the full width of the smooth dewy tarmac before regaining its composure and speeding off in the field to my left. 

I limped into York (300km) and stopped at the first petrol station I could find, a strange place with daleks and other  odd gimmicky stuff.  I got lost a bit getting out of York (again) and chose to get off the A19 by going through Overton.  York is one of those places where I dont find the driving merely bad, I find it actively anti cyclist (even the bus drivers - which most certainly isnt the case in Edinburgh)

I stopped briefly in Ripon before ploughing on though by this stage it had become a slog.  I stopped off near Wath to enjoys some fig rolls and tangfastics on a roadside bench. 

Given the busy traffic on the way south (and the fact that I had about 6 hrs to do 35km) I decided to make my route up north after Leeming.  I zig zagged my way north and east on the lanes around Pepper Arden.  I rolled back into Darlington around 1430 so lots of time in hand. 

Just a 600 (or longer) for a 14th consecutive SR.   

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #381 on: 22 April, 2018, 08:20:29 pm »
A 200km DIY by GPS in the Northron Wastes, first long ride since September. A bit ruddy well-ventilated. Nice tailie up to the Broch then the wind was mostly a bit of a bastard for the rest of the day. Started off misty then had some periods of sunshine and clouds. Two punctures and a tyre boot fitted to cover the hole which caused the second. More time was wasted looking for my 'pooter which fell off its mount after the second puncture. Not much in the way of wildlife: a buzzard, a brown hare and some deer pronging across a field.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #382 on: 02 May, 2018, 02:45:05 pm »
What better way to celebrate Labour Day* yesterday than by working hard on a midweek slacker's** audax? It's a vital mainstay of the economy by smoothing out workload and income for cafes and it's also a self-indulgent privilege available to the industriously self-employed. Or you can pull a sickie! So off to Burford via Malmesbury and Faringdon, back through Cerney Wick, a route I've done a couple of times before in late-summer sunshine and all-day snow, but this time I was on a different bike just because it was time for that to earn some audax points (and points make... no they don't, Brucey!). The Sequoia is perhaps not the most obvious audax bike, being a little on the heavy side and having humoungous tyres (700x42) but it worked very well. The big tyres not only soak up broken surfaces but roll well; better than I'd have thought, in fact.

Had a fun moment in Malmesbury on the way out. There was a Motorist Stand Off directly in front of me; road too narrow to pass and neither would back down. I've no idea who was "right" or "wrong" and I wasn't waiting around to see the outcome (it wouldn't be like the movies anyway), there was a bike-sized gap between them so through I went. One of them had overtaken me just a few seconds before but I never saw either of them again. (I went through again on the way home and didn't notice any blood on the ground, or spilt engine oil.  ;)) Stopped for an early lunch in Highworth, "the Gateway to the Cotswolds" (it never strikes me as being a typically Cotswold place) and was delighted to see bubble and squeak on the menu. When did you last have bubble and squeak? For me it was probably when I was about 12, but it seemed highly audax-appropriate. When it came it was the ponciest food I've ever seen! Two perfect little squares topped with a poached egg. Well, it was tasty and I suppose it was quite cheap too, so no complaining. And the service was quick!

My favourite part of this ride comes after Highworth. There are lovely ups and downs to Coleshill and Faringdon then a flat section with interesting houses and bridges and stuff from there to Burford. One of these days I must do it without time limits (or get faster... ) so I can stop at all these places. Burford itself I find both very attractive and rather cloying. It's a bit too much of a honeypot I suppose, but there is a decent cafe there, whose wifi I can somehow never get to work. Huge and delicious scones though with oodles of real creamy cream.

Later it started raining and I was glad I hadn't put shorts on, and after that it got rather windy, from the south – or sometimes the west, depending which way I was heading! And then I decided to stop for chips in Malmesbury – rarely eat chips while riding, but they work ok – and then the wind slackened and then I was home.

*Cyclists of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your... oh, you want to keep those...
**Riding midweek you see a surprising number of people who are clearly out doing something similar. Not necessarily an audax but clearly out for a ride during the working day and not just riding somewhere on a task or on tour. While a few of them are clearly of an age to be retired the majority are definitely not. Shouldn't they be at work? No? I didn't think so either.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #383 on: 06 May, 2018, 11:01:00 pm »
Rode Stephen Poulton's Gloucestershire and Worcestershire 200 permanent today.

. 7th leg of my Randonnée-Round-the-Year attempt – no calendar events near me this month.

Was quite interesting – got overtaken by a genuine race peloton – they were really moving! – overtook a traction engine, saw a steam engine. Hillier than I thought it would be - 1800 metres according to my Garmin. Only one evil hill out of Nailsworth but little ups and downs add up I guess.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #384 on: 07 May, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »
Attempted a DIY 300 yesterday. I was testing a new route I'd devised, but more importantly than that, it was meant to be a kind of warm-up for the WH1K at the end of this month, carrying all the kit I intend to carry on that ride.

Plan was to be on the road by 3am, in order to get the bulk of the distance out of the way before it got too hot, and before the roads got too clogged up with bank holiday traffic. Didn't quite go to plan, but I was out of the house and on the bike by around 4.40am. Heading west towards Faversham through the mist-shrouded Seasalter marshes, I was feeling good and looking forward to a nice day on the bike.

The good feeling continued as I climbed over the downs and descended towards Lenham, then on through Yalding and across the flatlands to Paddock Wood. Stopped at Tonbridge for a breakfast at McD's, which had just opened. By the time I got going again, the sun was on its way up and I enjoyed the ride along the rolling country road through Penshurst to Lingfield, where I stopped at the Co-Op to replenish my bidons and get some sweets.

Unfortunately, due to setting off later than intended, the next section down through Turners Hill and Haywards Heath was busier with traffic. Ditchling village was gridlocked but I managed to squeeze through by hopping onto the pavement. Please don't hate me.

Ground my way up the Beacon at barely walking pace, but managed to get all the way up without stopping or suffering a stroke. It was starting to get Really Bloody Hot by this time. Didn't stop at the top but pressed onwards into Brighton, which was a seething mass of traffic, including assorted vintage trucks and steam engines on their way down to the pier for some kind of gathering. Stopped for an ice cream at the pier but didn't want to linger, even though I was in need of food, so carried on with the intention of stopping for lunch when I found somewhere more pleasant. Luckily, didn't have to wait long - came across a nice looking café in Roedean, overlooking the sea, where I had a fish finger sandwich, a cup of tea and a can of fizzy pop.

The next leg was along the A259 all the way to Eastbourne. It was horrible. Traffic was heavy, with several bottlenecks - mainly at Cuckmere, where there was a long queue of people wanting to turn off into the country park thing, whatever it is, and no way for other traffic to get past. On top of that, there was a bastard headwind, which made the undulating road seriously heavy going. And the road is quite narrow in places, so I had to endure lots of close passes from impatient motorists who just had to get past regardless of whether there was room to do so safely (especially on the climb just after Cuckmere, where the road is narrow and steep). It's a good few years since I last rode along this stretch and it wasn't as busy then. Maybe it will be better at a different time of day and not on a sunny bank holiday weekend, but I may need to look at revising the route.

After Eastbourne, it was onto another flat section along the coast through Pevensey to Bexhill - progress was quicker, in spite of the persistent headwind.

Stopped for a rest at Bexhill and decided it was probably time to call it a day. I'm confident I could have completed the distance - that last stretch was the worst of the ride over, with some much nicer bits to follow. However, I needed to be home at a reasonable time and that was unlikely to happen if I carried on. So I rode on as far as Hastings where I got the train home, having racked up a bit over 200km - still a decent ride on a day that was far too hot for such exertions.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #385 on: 20 May, 2018, 01:06:51 pm »
DIYxGPS 200km yesterday.  Route was basically Abingdon, Wheatley, Stratton Audley, North Aston, Chippy, Burford, Lechlade & back.  The only real A-road bit was the A415 heading east, and at 7am it was very quiet.  Almost a perfect day, not too hot in the sun, not much wind, but enough breeze.  Stopped for a coffee at the Yurt cafe in North Aston (Garden centre), then on to CN to the Old mill cafe.  I had a superb Moussaka, but unfortunately it was totally the wrong choice for me on a 200km.  Almost deserted roads through the cotswolds at lunchtime (due an event at Windsor castle), but I started feeling more and more uncomfortable.  The Moussaka just sat in my stomach, and the warm water in my bottles, didn't seem to improve matters.  In Lechlade I craved something cold and sweet, so bought a coke - which I don't normally do, but it felt good.  Had to stop more and more frequently, the moussaka hadn't digested.  I limped home, feeling pretty horrible, and didn't eat anything until about 10pm. Live and learn.

IMG_20180519_065417106 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180519_100224080 by ao, on Flickr

Nicolson's Cafe, North Aston

IMG_20180519_103751831 by ao, on Flickr

Looking back to the under-Wychwoods.

IMG_20180519_133755182 by ao, on Flickr

Buttercups near Lechlade

IMG_20180519_152141453_stitch by ao, on Flickr

Tadpole bridge over the Thames

IMG_20180519_165849525_stitch by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #386 on: 21 May, 2018, 05:20:35 pm »
Lovely scenery, thank you for that.

« Reply #387 on: 21 May, 2018, 05:24:55 pm »
still a decent ride on a day that was far too hot for such exertions.

When you say 'hot' what temperature would that be?

Over here I am attempting to avoid the worst of the day's temperatures - which now is around 95 degrees - by riding partly at night starting at around 2 in the afternoon and riding a 200K until just before midnight. Fortunately, we don't have the kind of traffic you mention so it's just the temperature that is wilting.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #388 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:00:14 pm »
Quote from: Mrs Pingu
Up with the larks for a sneaky DIY 200. Chilly start, Pingu had to use his "spare jersey" <insert Audax Ecosse joke here>. Startled a couple of deer by the Tin Coo. Stopped at Ballater for 2nd breakfast. Saw some bullfinches & a couple of wooderypeckeries. Tons of cyclists coming the other way from Braemar on some sort of event (The 3 pistes cyclosportive, apptly). Back to Ballater for lunch, where it was scorchio. Headwind all the way home (yay, my favourite). Recovery drink is the most delicious Belle Fleur by De Dochter Van De Korenaar.

IMG_0802_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

whosatthewheel

« Reply #389 on: 28 May, 2018, 08:14:29 am »
Andyoxon, looks wornderful!!

Please share the route...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #390 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:58:53 am »
I rode 'The Struggle Dales' sportive yesterday and extended it (back to the train station in Leeds) to bag a 200, subject to validation of course! This was my first Sportive and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the good atmosphere, having read and heard lots about how they can be unpleasant and attended by sketchy riders. Okay, at £40 it wasn't cheap but they did chuck plenty of free stuff at you at the very well organised feed stations and the route was well signed and marshalled. Would I choose it over Audax? Nah, I much prefer the more relaxed feel and sense of self reliance, but I'd happily ride more Sportives if they come up at the right time and place.
The ride was utterly brutal, with climbs of Bedlam, Hartwith Bank, Greenhow Hill, Malham Cove, Park Rash, Trapping Hill and Two Stoops. My climb figure for the day was just shy of 12000 feet and the heat and strong winds ensured that it really lived up to its name. When I got to the finish, I had to shoulder my rucksack and had two hours for the 18 miles to catch my train in Leeds. I was so wrecked I wondered if I'd make it, but I did, with 30 mins in hand. Unfortunately, my train was terminated in Birmingham after the crazy weather and I had little choice but to get a hotel and make my way home this morning. Ah well, Cross Country Trains are picking up the tab and the burger I got on room service went down a treat!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #391 on: 28 May, 2018, 12:12:22 pm »
I rode 'The Struggle Dales' sportive yesterday and extended it (back to the train station in Leeds) to bag a 200, subject to validation of course! This was my first Sportive and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the good atmosphere, having read and heard lots about how they can be unpleasant and attended by sketchy riders.

I did lots of sportives... the Fred Whitton Challenge stands out for the great route and atmosphere... locals with cowbells up Hardknott pass etc... I'd do it again, but it's a very expensive weekend... hotels in the lakes are pricey, also, I can't go to the Lakes without taking the wife, which means a much more expensive hotel and doubling the cost of everything else...  ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #392 on: 28 May, 2018, 08:43:57 pm »
Meridian hills for me today. Beautiful ride, but so hard. Harder than any 300 I have done.physicallt tougher than any 400 as well but not riding sleep deprived made up for it.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #393 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:04:26 pm »
I did John Hamilton's 'Snowdon, Lleyn & Lakes' yesterday.

Had a fantastic day's cycling in glorious late May sunshine. The route is an absolute cracker, highly recommended. It goes from Bala, through the Arenigs and across the Ffestiniog valley then round the Lleyn peninsula, back into the mountains via the Nantlle and Gywant valleys and back to Bala via Betws y Coed with a bit of a sting in the tail with a final drag over the Denbigh Moors. Crams many varied landscapes into 200km: from mountain to moorland to coastline to wildflower hedged pastoral lanes...made it feel like a real tour. Plenty of climbing but only a couple of really steep bits, and some fantastic descents. What was also noticeable after a winter of cycling on the bombed out lanes of southern England was the quality of the road surfaces - really nice all the way round.

I stayed at Plas Coch on Sunday night, rough and ready but cheap accommodation and friendly/helpful staff.

Second breakfast at Eric Jones cafe under Tremadoc rocks (an old favourite from my climbing days), crab sandwiches for lunch at Y Gegin in Aberdaron and a custard slice for tea from the (excellent) bakery in the Spar shop at Betws.

Thanks John, must try one of your Calendar events one day!

Bairn Again

« Reply #394 on: 31 May, 2018, 11:03:15 am »
Slight belated post but been a tad busy...

Set off last Friday 20-00 to do a DIY600 and broke a  spoke about 40km in.  Detour to Larbert for train home to Edinburgh but train was cancelled so i rode with comedy front wheel the 4 miles to Falkirk and the last train home on the Glasgow line. 

Duly irritated I replaced the wheel, notified the DIY organiser of my DNF and set off at 0500 to catch the train to Stonehaven (the original furthest point of my intended 600) where i rode home as I wanted to scope out some ideas for a possible calendar 600 next year.  Weird weather - hot sun & cold wind.  Not firing on all cylinders but got home in just over 10 hrs.   Free choice of route after Perth so I took the very lumpy Wicks O baiglie road (which explains the 10 hrs + bit). 

Watched football saturday night and did some admin for the West Highlands on Sunday whilst shivering in the haar. 

Scunnered by the cold misty weather in Edinburgh I got up with the lark on Monday and got the train to Dunblanne and had a cracking day out, a 200km DIY up to Meigle and back.  It was lovely, hot and sunny and using quiet roads (main roads were busy as it wasnt a bank holiday in Scotland even though I was off).  Best day out since I rode to Rannoch Station 5 years ago.   

deejay

• A wise man goes when he can
« Reply #395 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:21:34 am »
I was out doing a DIY200 yesterday. On the run in the Red Lodge near Newmarket when I met two other riders. One was wearing a Audax Ireland gilet. We had a brief  conversation and it turned out that the audax rider was on a DIY250 starting at Peterborough and had just met the other rider. I assumed everyone would be heading for the famous cafe but in the end I was the only one that stopped. I am just wondering if it was anyone from hear. I hope the day went well for you.

JT

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #396 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:28:00 am »
A DIY by GPS:

Mrs P's first 300 (subject to validation)  8) She doesn't mention the steep cobbly climb up Bosberg - must've erased that one from her mind :)

I nearly filled up the AUK DIY by GPS entry form with controls for this one!

Quote from: Mrs Pingu
So, The Audacious Maattentart Heist: 0450 start wearing all the clothes. Saw lots of kitties on the canal path doing a spot of early morning hunting, as well as a giant metallic bat. 2nd brekky in Deinze was Maattentart from a van at the market. Then off up through the Flemish Ardennes for Dan 's fix of hills and the weather warmed up and we had wall to wall sunshine. Turned north in a bit of a head wind back on to the flat. Antwerp full of crap expensive shops. Down through the Sint Anna tunnel under the Scheldt which was very chilly after the 30ish °C on the surface. A flat bit next to the motorway which ate up the kms a bit with the wind behind us, before we got to the Dutch coast and quite a lot of interminably dull route behind the Zeedijk into a head or a cross wind. At this point the 3 litres of water consumed started to turn into a yen for a big sachet of salt and a can of fizzy pop. Some kilometers later we found a friteur and much rejoicing was done. After that more trundling along the usually heaving route past Cadzand and Knokke Heist which was happily dead at that time of night. Nice sunset and then finally we turned away from the coast on the last stretch into Bruges. Also seen: storks, several hunting kestrels, various dogs, cats sheep all flaked out in the sun, some hares and a dead cow in a farmyard.

That tunnel:

IMG_0983_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #397 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:14:47 pm »
Five islands, four causeways, no ferries, and quite a few birds*
On holiday in the Outer Hebrides we checked out the possibility of a 200km DIY and found out that it was possible to cycle that far without taking any ferries or falling into the sea. We started at Berneray ferry terminal, headed over the first causeway of the day and then south west to Balranald (corncrakes, redshanks, oystercatchers) and then south over the next three causeways to the Hebridean Jewellery coffee shop at the north end of South Uist for bacon rolls. Suitably refreshed, south again (curlews and short eared owl) to the Kilbride campsite cafe at the south end of the island, with a great view across to Barra - for the previous two weeks this would have been of white sand and sparkling turquoise water but the weather had broken and it was a bit grey all day. Turnaround point, so back now into the wind and we realised why the northbound touring cyclists we had met earlier were looking slightly grim! Next stop via one causeway was Benbecula (shelduck and chicks) for a control at McLennans supermarket where we sat outside on compost bags (much more comfortable than petrol station charcoal) and ate typical audax fare of yoghurt and rock buns and drank chocolate milk. Back across two more causeways (with the small island of Grimsay between them) to North Uist and the Lochmaddy ATM (a rare facility around here) to control. The final leg (more oystercatchers, swans, redshanks, a raven, maybe an eagle) across the last causeway of the day back to Berneray, fortunately arriving before the last ferry of the day from Harris disgorged its vehicles onto the singletrack road.
* We could in fact have bagged one more island and causeway by going to Eriskay but we didn't actually need to for 200km

« Reply #398 on: 14 June, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »
I was out doing a DIY200 yesterday. On the run in the Red Lodge near Newmarket when I met two other riders. One was wearing a Audax Ireland gilet. We had a brief  conversation and it turned out that the audax rider was on a DIY250 starting at Peterborough and had just met the other rider. I assumed everyone would be heading for the famous cafe but in the end I was the only one that stopped. I am just wondering if it was anyone from hear. I hope the day went well for you.

JT

Yes that was me. Nice bumping onto you. I was doing a route check for the south part of the Yorkshire via Essex(The Flatlands Reversed), http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-382/ and it controls at the NISA store centre in Red Lodge and not at the cafe. Was not trying to avoid you ;D. Always good to see others enjoying the weather and riding their bike.

Bairn Again

« Reply #399 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »
great one way 200 Edinburgh - Stonehaven after last weeks Southern Upland 400km.

I booked the 1510 train home so left at 0500 which also helped me keep ahead of the rain.,,...for a while. 

Lovely sunrise behind the Forth Road Bridge (see @graeme_wyllie on twitter) and mostly favourable SE winds. 

Heavy rain by Forfar 120km and steady thereafter.   

My body is back getting used to a single stop on a 200 so i was just over 9 hrs and had about 45 mins to spare after getting changed.

A couple of pints in the Station Hotel while watching the football and a wee snooze on the train home.  Fab day despite rain

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/24387738