Author Topic: 4 Rivers (Shrewsbury) 200  (Read 3791 times)

4 Rivers (Shrewsbury) 200
« on: 06 May, 2008, 11:07:49 am »
Anyone riding this one from Shrewsbury on Saturday 10th May?

Looks a good route:  Shrewsbury - Picklescott - Bishops Castle - Montgomery - Lake Vrnwy - Bala - Llangower - Baschurch - Shrewsbury.

Weather looks to be good as well!

Re: 4 Rivers (Shrewsbury) 200
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2008, 06:14:33 pm »
I'm subscribed on it, looking forward to it - will be on a faired red recumbent.  I did most of the route 3 years ago, but the route seems to have changed - goes more east of Shrews at the start and on from Lake Verny to Lake Bala?  I loved it then, beautiful rolling scenery going towards Lake Verny.

7am start is a bit unnecessary though - clearly to allow the 3 Rivers to leave at 8am but I'll have to travel over/camp out the night before now, and there are plenty of daylight hours at this time of year.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2008, 06:16:19 pm »
I've entered the 150 (160?) which I think is called the three rivers. If I do it, it'll be the longest ride of the year so far. I'm not confident, again.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:31:25 pm »
Not riding but helping out at the start & finish controls.

The Three Rivers is the old classic route straight west from Shrews to Lake Vyrnwy, then Bala. Return over the Milltir Cerrig and down the Tanat valley. Apart from the two big climbs of the Bwlch y Groes and Milltir Cerrig it's pretty flat so not too difficult.

The Four Rivers heads down to Bishops Castle first then joins the 160k at Vyrnwy.

For a couple of years the route turned back at Vyrnwy and finished off with a tour of the North Shropshire flatlands which was nowhere near as good. The current route is much better. Don't know why the 7am start either. The 160 doesn't leave until 08:30 so seems a bit unnecessary to me as well.

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2008, 11:17:41 pm »
I presume that the 7.00 a.m. start for the 200 is so that the people running the controls can get back home at a reasonable hour.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:37:58 pm »
What it does do is bring both rides together at the Vyrnwy control so the times from then on overlap and it would be quite feasible to join up with some-one doing the other ride.

As for finishing at a reasonable hour. Fair enough but it does mean that those doing the start have to get up at one instead.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:57:27 pm »
Yep, I'd agree with you there John.

Has anyone got a gpx of the route?  I've checked Danial's audax pages but otherwise I'll plot one myself and forward it on.  Having been rude enough to criticise the organiser's scheduling I'll not criticise the route sheets but with my legendary cackhandedness at keeping on the straight and narrow I'd probably fall foul of sheets that don't have the places that you go through indicated in bold.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2008, 06:25:41 pm »
Route plotted here in Google Maps http://tinyurl.com/5h9863. I'm sure someone with more technical nous than me can turn it into GPX...

Not a difficult route to navigate on the whole.

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:36:03 am »
I tried it with GMapToGPX (a tool which generates a text file in gpx format from a GMAP) but it came out plain wrong.

Then plotted it in Bikely by hand from your GMap which is really nifty as it will automatically work out how to follow the roads and plot all the trackpoints.  I couldn't get it to finish the route so it ends about a mile from the end.  Available here

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:13:22 pm »
Ow. Ouch.

That 160 was fun. I didn't expect such big hills in the middle, although I did realise that  the route went into mid Wales. Doh! I think I was last finished at 18:35.

What a faboulous day out.
MAny thanks to any organisers and control people out there.

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:35:35 pm »
No, I didn't get in till 7pm (on the 200) and there was another chap behind me (Ivan?) on the 160.  Also 2 older chaps who were behind me at Bala but mysteriously got ahead by the last stop even though they never passed me.  That was only 10 hours' cycling (clocked up just under 140 miles through at least one detour), I overdid it at the start and was bonking for the last 5 miles before Verny, needed a couple of hours to feel OK again.  Also it was a bad idea to ride a faired bike with soooo many hills - again, was it really only 2000m of climbing?

But yes, it was a great day out and v well organised, good weather and smashing scenery.  I'd ridden part of Gavin's 400 with John (above) in the past.  I camped out at Houghmond Abbey and got pitched just as the first of several lightning storms struck.  Later the custodian came over flashing a lamp but luckily let me stay.

One real PITA was the amount of cars going up Blwch-Y-Gross from Verny - I think they need a one-way system due to the narrowness of the road.  In particular a red MG and a vintage sports car kept cropping up at regular intervals.  At one point a mother with 2 prepubescent girls in the back of her 4x4 was coming down while the red MG was following me up, and started doing an elaborate and pointless reversing manoeuvre (including the mandatory blocking me off just to exert some control and perhaps punish my scarcely-concealed contempt for her).  I just thought, poor kids, there are ANY number of better things they could be doing with their mother up there than re-enact the school run as a recreational activity - like the other families I saw out hiking, closer to Bala.

Luckily the traffic dried up once the fat, lazy people had spilled out their vehicles at the top to admire the view.

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:13:16 pm »
What a brilliant ride.  Nice and cool for the first half with even the odd drop of rain to keep riders cool, but a lot hillier than I thought.

The first real climb was across the Long Mynd and through Picklescott which was just a long steady climb really.  I then missed the right turn so added a couple of extra miles on to the control at Bishops Castle.

The next section to Lake Vyrnwy caught me out a little with much climbing, but the control were doing a really quick service to the cyclists which was good.

The climb of the Bwlch-y-Groes wasnt as bad as I thought, going up a bit at a time and was well worth it for the scenery alone.  Then it was down the other side to Lake Bala and the next control at a picnic site alongside the Lake which was also when the sun came right out and the temperatures increased significantly.

From here, we just had the climb of the Milltir Cerrig over to Llangynog to deal with which was very hot with sweat dripping everywhere, but I do think this was the easy side to go up.

A lovely descent and fast, flat run back to the finish from there arriving at 5.45pm.

I was really surprised at the poor amount of entries for this ride (20 for the 200k though about another 60 for the 160k) Perhaps it might have been the early start (7.00am) but I dont see what the problem is.  The organiser and his team of helpers had obviously put in a lot of hard work and time to run the event and with just 20 riders may not feel it is worth all the hard work and another event is sadly dis-continued.  I will certainly be looking forward to it again next year and I hope many others will support it as well.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:25:18 pm »
I did it in 2005 when it was a good deal flatter and, IIRC, had a 07:30 start.  ISTR Dr Cox and I were les lanternes rouges, getting round in just over 11 hours and getting a mild wigging from the controller at Ellesmere for being too slow.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »
ISTR that in 2005 it had at least a half AA point too.

That sounds like the turn-off which I missed too - I led after the first control all the way to just before the Linley turn-off (?) but was following tall Chris who could splatter down the mucky stuff much faster than I dared and didn't notice he'd turned off.  The GPS needed new batteries.  Then I missed the next Bishop's Castle turn-off too as the signpost (to me) seemed to be indicating along the main road.  :-\

The Milltir Cerrig went over 1600ft, but wasn't as steep as the Blwch-y-Groes.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:01:02 pm »
another chap behind me (Ivan?) on the 160. 
That'll be Ifor. You know you're going to get to stay to the last possible minute as an organiser when Ifor enters. But chapeau to him. It takes some determination when you know you're going to be 5 minutes inside the time limit all the way round.

One real PITA was the amount of cars going up Blwch-Y-Gross from Verny - I think they need a one-way system due to the narrowness of the road. 
I was thinking that myself as I watched the first of the days tourists wobble off on their hire bikes on Sunday morning. The circuit of the lake is just crying out to be made traffic free. Which to be practical would involve restricting the two mountain roads that cross over to Bala as well. Saturday was obviously the day to be out though. Didn't see a single car between Vyrnwy and Trawsfynydd on Sunday.

was it really only 2000m of climbing?
ISTR that in 2005 it had at least a half AA point too.
With all the changes in organiser and route in the last few years it's probably time to do a recount. I'll try and persuade Alastair.