Author Topic: Cycling super highways  (Read 3707 times)

Re: Cycling super highways
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2009, 03:33:52 pm »
You'll all no doubt know me and my scepticism re cycling infrastructure; but I ain't commenting on this scheme until I fully see the details.

http://www.london.gov.uk/news/docs/cycle-superhighways-map.pdf

Until I see the details* I will still not comment.

* a technical plan showing the widths, paint markings, signage, junction treatment, etc.  i.e. the full design document that the engineers will use to construct the scheme.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »
Where did you get the detail about the bike lanes being in the centre of the road?

Alex, it was discussed in this YACF thread.

Details of first London Cycling Super Highway announced.

"From Stockwell the Highway will take the route planned for the Cross River Tram, which the Mayor and TFL stated last November will no longer be taken forward. It will follow the A3 through Oval to Elephant and Castle, then cross over Waterloo Bridge to Aldwych and up Kingsway to Mornington Crescent, Euston and Camden Town."

TfL have most probably abandoned this wibble:
"In a radical departure from conventional cycle lanes, the Cycle Highway will have dedicated use of the central lanes of the road in each direction and these will be designated with coloured tarmac. There will be marked feeder lanes onto and off the Cycle Highway at each junction for cyclists to merge into the Cycle Highway traffic."
and are implementing advisory cycle lanes, painted blue rather than green. Same old same old.

Just in case there is any remaining doubt,  the 'press release' I posted was a spoof that I did following a Mayor's question time where he confirmed that he was planning 12 routes. As it turns out it appears to be plausible in large part - maybe TfL took the release for fact too  ;D

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »
There is a cycle route in Caen, near the Universoty, that uses the central reservation for a proper path. However, this dives under roundabouts using tunnels, so there is no faffing around at junctions. It's not too bad for its type, but I rather fancy that smaller sums will be spent on the London version.

« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »
There is a cycle route in Caen, near the Universoty, that uses the central reservation for a proper path. However, this dives under roundabouts using tunnels, so there is no faffing around at junctions. It's not too bad for its type, but I rather fancy that smaller sums will be spent on the London version.

Yes, this is often the problem with cycle paths in the UK.  They are put in where it's easy to do.  This invariably means that they where the road is nice and wide, and doesn't really need a cycle path, they put one in.  Where it gets to a point where the road is narrower, the path disappears, often at the point that you most need it.  The start and ends of paths are also often ill thought out, and require making sharp turns in no space.

Of course, this is all pre-judging things, and it may well be that a good job is done, but I guess that ultimately we will have to wait and see.  I'm not overly optimistic though, as others have said, Boris has already cut spending on facilities in London.

Interestingly, on Queenstown Road at the moment, they have just removed some of the "on footpath" cycle path, and it looks like they are replacing this with some road widening, and hopefully appropriate road markings when they've finished.  At the moment the way it's been done has created a squeeze point which could be worse for cyclists, unless they somehow delineate things.

This seems to suggest a turn towards a more sensible, and less segregated approach to cycle facilities.  I'm slightly worried that Boris et al are suggesting a reversal of this type of approach.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2009, 05:10:52 pm »
I hope it works out.
A well maintained route from Barking to C.London and back would be good. I have often wanted to cycle in from the east but been put off by what route to take between Barking and Tower Bridge. It just looks a pigs ass tbh, and its easier to just get on the train.

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2009, 06:28:19 pm »
Speshact, thanks a bundle. I took what you wrote at face value.

I also believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny   ;D

spindrift

« Reply #31 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:20:38 am »
Mmmmm:

According to the last lot of Mayor’s Answers, there won’t be any new superhighway through the Elephant and Castle’s double-whirlpool.

The existing cycle by-pass, they reckon is ‘complete’ and ’safe’. ‘Complete’ it manifestly isn’t - you try following the signs anticlockwise from Walworth Road; you’ll know how a Tetris block feels.

And ’safe’?

Well, I suppose having a phone box in the middle of the path is technically safe, seeing as it’s unlikely to ram you, but the current by-pass certainly ain’t adequate.

Bah!

Our Cycle Path Is Deepest Blue, It Doesn’t Go Through Brent Or Kew

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:59:57 am »
That's crap of the highest order, then.  The E&C RABs can be terrifying, and lethal, as we have seen.  But the route around is patchy and deeply inadequate.
Getting there...