Author Topic: Highway Code advert  (Read 1196 times)

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
Highway Code advert
« on: 03 October, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
Has anyone else seen the new advert encouraging people to keep up to date with the changes in the Highway Code?

I've seen it a couple of times now on Eurosport and found it posted on youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbi2MysY7So&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qbi2MysY7So&rel=1</a>

In the main I am happy to see it. Long time drivers are encouraged to go and get a copy and brush up on their responsibilities.

One paticular part of the add shows a car passing a cyclist too close and then swerving off the road. The voice over talks about helping to "avoid those near misses". The message I read from that part of the ad is not to overtake cyclists too closely and if you read the HC you will see what you should do. Others may of course interpret the ad in slightly different ways but personally I think it is a  quite positive message.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Highway Code advert
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »
Yes, positive on the whole I thought.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »
I like the generic Ford Prefect shape of the cars' front ends.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
It's obviously a good idea to encourage people (not just drivers) to refresh their knowledge of the Highway Code, but I thought the advert itself was a bit naff in a forcedly cheery way. Just the kind of superficially connective stuff we unfortunately are used to with government adverts. However, I did see a couple of things which were new to me; the sign telling drivers to use the hard shoulder if taking the next exit (what happens if there's an emergency or a breakdown, then?) and the rather strangely painted parking spaces. I've never come across either of those in real life, and I'm certain they hadn't been introduced the last time I drove in Britain.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.