Author Topic: Ear infection  (Read 3799 times)

Ear infection
« on: 17 August, 2018, 10:01:39 am »
Grumble.   I've had this for nearly 3 weeks now.   Not much pain in the ear itself, but stabbing pains in the bony area (mastoid?) behind it, and a pain that seemed to spread down to my lower rear gum.   

The local walk in centre gave me an earspray which did nothing,  I'm now midway through a course of antibiotics, which don't seem to be having much of an effect.   I've got a 2 week camping tour coming up in a weeks time :-(

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Ear infection
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 10:12:53 am »
Commiserations, I've just finished using the ear spray for a very similar sounding infection - did you have the one that smells of vinegar?  Fortunately it seems to have worked for me.  The doc looked in my ear and said "Ah, yes...."  to which I said "it's never good when the doctor says "ah, yes..." like that" and she replied "Well, I have seen worse."  Top tip: don't use the spray immediately after the pharmacist has taken it out of their fridge.

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 10:18:52 am »
Otomize.   I can't recall what it smelt like. 

The 2nd time I went to the walk in centre the examining nurse suggested antibiotics, but the prescribing nurse said she couldn't give me any.  I was lucky to get a GP appointment at short notice.

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:46:24 pm »
That's the stuff!  Acetic acid is listed as one of the active ingredients, and I can certainly smell it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »
Commiserations!
Is your mastoid tender?
Have you had your teeth checked of late?

Some pains of dental origin are poorly localised and getting teeth sorted before you go away is wise anyway.

« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2018, 03:00:27 pm »
After 2 courses of antibiotics it seems to be flaring up again , and I’ve got a pain in the same side of my neck as well. (Not 100% sure they are linked, in a tent with an inflatable pillow at the moment)

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2018, 03:04:03 pm »
As Helly says could be a toofy peg. How is your balance? Ear ache is horrible. You could ask local chemist/Apotheek for advice or something to tide you over, but be prepared to need another pannier.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2018, 07:00:04 pm »
Balance is fine & there is no tooth or gum pain.  I did use earplugs last night, I wonder if they could have aggravated it?  Ear isn’t painful, just a feeling it’s not right.

« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2018, 10:07:21 pm »
It was still twinging a bit last week, so I made Appointments.    Dentist today , examination & X ray showed no sign of any problems.    GP next week , and now it's stopped hurting.....

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2018, 10:56:21 am »
GP confirms there is still a low level infection in the right ear , but doesn't want to give me more antibiotics unless it gets worse. 

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2018, 01:35:43 pm »
It might be completely OT but when I had an ear problem (blocked to the point of deafness and dizziness), a nasal spray sorted it out. It was a massive and almost immediate relief.

I might be miles off, but it's all connected in there, I think. Would it hurt (beyond the price of the spray) to try it? That's not a rhetorical question - someone more knowledgeable might know whether this is a bad idea.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?