Author Topic: Elenith 2017  (Read 7689 times)

simonp

Re: Elenith 2017
« Reply #25 on: 06 April, 2017, 03:35:39 pm »
Also I realised I could save a lot on Travelodges by booking Fri night in Shrewsbury and Sat night on the way home.

« Reply #26 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
I think it's going to be gears, and soot.

Mudguards rule does not apply. Tempted to remove the race blades and risk it.

No rain for days this week and non forecast ---go for it Simon !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #27 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:54:16 pm »
Not riding, but I think it'll be a repeat of that classic Wolverley era ride about 6 or 7 years ago or so when there was no snow, hail, wind or rain, just warm sun and everyone got round in record time with a massive grin.

Nuncio will remember that one  :)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #28 on: 06 April, 2017, 11:35:48 pm »
After a touch of the wobbles brought on by a navigation fiasco on The Dean which saw me back in Oxford by 9am followed by two weeks of lurgy it appears I'll be on the 14:00 from Euston arriving new Street 15:30 for a leisurely ride up to Upton Magna, about 65km. How much of the Elenith I'll complete is anybody's guess but everything is booked and paid for, and I'll have a days riding in Wales one way or another. The word is the sun may even put in an appearence. What's not to like? :)

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:22:17 am »
I saw you turned back fairly early on. What happened? I almost packed for non bike related reasons but a phone call saved the day.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:42:44 am »
I think I went off route, turned and then started following the track back to oxford instead of the route on to Stow... 'Navigation fiasco' is putting it kindly...

I did wonder why you were going the other way... having seen you on the phone earlier I figured YOU were abandoning. You couldn't make it up. :)

Bairn Again

« Reply #31 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
I had to DNS this as my other half needs the car this weekend and theres no practical way to get to the start from Edinburgh without incurring huge last minute train costs (organiser has been informed).

Instead I'm setting off at around 1600 today for an overnight one way Edinburgh-to-Aberdeen-the-long-way 300km DIY. 

Light SW wind, no rain forecast and an almost full moon, near perfect conditions I hope to allow me a nice lunch in Aberdeen and perhaps even a pint in the Prince of Wales before the train back to the capital just before 3pm.   

Hope to break my Upton Magna duck with the National 400.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #32 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:31:05 pm »
I just need to decide if I should switch out my front 50mm carbon rim and replace with a normal alloy rimmed wheel. No rain and lightish wind so tempted to stick with the carbon, just a little concerned if there are many hills that are going to require much drag braking.

« Reply #33 on: 07 April, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
Final Long descent down to Tregaron needs a lot of braking, narrow, twisty at top; Also descent off Devils Staircase very fast and steep to T junction, and then RH corner . needs care. enjoy.

Me? I`m taking bike with discs brakes
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 07 April, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
There are steep technical descents. And cattle grids.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #35 on: 07 April, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
Long, steep, technical descents.

Forecast improving daily. Up to 17/18c likely in the afternoon. Tempting fate but may be bring the suncream.

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:21:58 pm »
Thanks to John for putting on another great event, the weather was the best it's been in the 3 years I have been doing it , no snow this year 👍 Just a bit of a head wind back .Its back to Upton For the national 400 in a few months for a few less hills 😉

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:41:55 am »
My first time on The Elenyyd and what a brute of a ride it was.  Freezing cold and foggy start and I was glad I was dressed for winter, but when the sun eventually made an appearance the temperature soared and I was now very much overdressed with wind stopper jacket, winter tights and overshoes.

I made the mistake of not drinking enough early on and paid the price over the toughest section between Abergwesyn and Tregaron.  The Devil got me big time  :demon: and I suffered with severe cramp down the inside of my thigh.  Even trying to get back on the bike on a flat section made me cramp up, never mind trying to put some pressure on the pedals.  I feared for the rest of the ride and even considered packing, but then would have the logistical problem of getting back to the start.

Eventually got to Tregaron and drunk lots of water with salt and sugar added.  It was pretty disgusting as a drink, but it had to be done.  Fed myself, had more drinks and then set off in last place with another couple.  The route to Rhayader was beautiful and I managed the whole climb with no hint of cramp, and felt pretty good.  However, unlike earlier, I managed to drink 2 bottles on this section to keep my hydration up.

The heat faded with the dusk and I felt more comfortable with my winter kit.  The hills continued to come and go and the miles flowed until I eventually finished with 45 minutes to spare and pleased to crawl into my tent to sleep the dreamless sort of sleep you only seem to do when exhausted.

In spite of my sufferings, this was a truly stunning ride with outstanding scenery and glorious weather (although not always guaranteed).  Many thanks to John for organising this wonderful event.

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:54:38 am »
I am comparing the Strava ride for 2014, 17h21 compared to this time (19h30).

I was on fixed on 2014, and got round over 2h faster. I know I had a month off training in February but really did expect to do better than this. The only time it's been slower was on the tandem. Last year on gears wasn't very fast either.

At least I can still ride up the 4 steep climbs over the mountain road on the way out. The first time I rode this event (in its original form) in 2008 that was beyond me, and I'm 13kg heavier now!

« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2017, 07:02:27 pm »
My first Elenith and what a fine place to ride a bike Wales is.......sometimes. And Saturday was one of those times. All thanks to John for a superbly organised event. The extra effort showed and is appreciated by all riders. The helpers were all great and a first class choice of controls -the service and welcome at the Bowls Club were brilliant. It is fairly unusual to be provided with a hot meal within 10 seconds of ordering it.  What a shame one of my riding companions missed it....
Thanks also to the friendly bunch of riders I shared parts of the day with.

I am looking forward to seeing the Sloth's photos and videos.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #40 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
Well done to everyone who took part in this year’s 31st edition of the The Elenith / Yr Elenydd.

The provisional results are up on the AUK website and your completed brevet cards have been sent off to Audax UK for validation.

The final stats for the day – 152 entries, 118 starters and 111 successful finishers. That’s the highest number since I took over the event from Dave Pountney back in 2012.

Just like last year the talking point seemed to be the weather, although for very different reasons. 2016 was noted for snow and hail, 2017 was wall to wall sunshine once the early mist had burnt off. The warm weather and light winds allowed some very quick times to be set – the first riders were back in a new course record of 12hrs 16mins. At the other end of the field, some of you found the heat a bit much and  recorded their slowest times. This year was also notable for the number of ladies riding, with 7 on solos, plus a further 2 stoking tandems – congratulations to them all – you’re in fairly exclusive company as there’s not that many have ridden the event.

During the day I managed to get a few photos at Abergwesyn – these are on t’interweb - https://goo.gl/photos/txPb7LL4KcfKmA8z9.

As always, massive thanks to all the controls and the volunteers who came out to help run them – Linda, Bernard, John & Hazel, Steve, Paul, Anne & Martin at Upton Magna; Wendy & Fiona at Shobdon; Joolz for standing in at the last minute at Abergwesyn; everyone at Clwb Bowlio Tregaron; Annie and the staff of the last homely house that is the Wheelwrights; and the café staff at Shobdon and Rhayader. Without them this event just wouldn’t happen.

Thank you for all your donations at Abergwesyn. We’ve collected £347.73 which will be going to the JustGiving appeal for the family of Mike Hall.

Next year’s Elenydd is provisionally scheduled in for Sat 14th April, but in the meantime if this has whetted your appetite for more of the Marches and mid Wales scenery, you may be interested in my events on September 16th – with 4 rides from 120k to 300k there’s something for everyone. Full details are on the Audax UK website.

« Reply #41 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:49:28 am »
Really enjoyed that. Great route, well organised, great controls & good company. A pity about the weather, but you can't have it all I guess!

Some lovely remote spots. We saw an otter in one of the rivers we passed, a first for me.

Some photos and videos.
...probably a few too many videos for consumption, but that may have been summer come and gone and so I did my best to record it.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #42 on: 11 April, 2017, 05:00:27 am »
Not riding, but I think it'll be a repeat of that classic Wolverley era ride about 6 or 7 years ago or so when there was no snow, hail, wind or rain, just warm sun and everyone got round in record time with a massive grin.

Nuncio will remember that one  :)

6 years ago? The FB just reminded me of it this morning!

image (c) vorsprung April 2011

Wonderful memories.

I believe 2010 was also superb - even clearer skis due to no air traffic due to Eyjafjallajökull. The very same reason that we DNS.... (stuck in wrong country error).

« Reply #43 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:59:24 am »
Great ride on Saturday.  Loved the route, the company, the stops,  everything.   And if that wasn't enough,  photos from John and the Sloth bring back some great memories.     :D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #44 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:24:11 am »
I believe 2010 was also superb - even clearer skis due to no air traffic due to Eyjafjallajökull. The very same reason that we DNS.... (stuck in wrong country error).

The 2010 version was fantastic (and was my first official 300).

Somewhere before the Devil's Staircase

Mal Volio before Abergwesyn
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #45 on: 11 April, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »
Thanks John, that was a stunning event  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #46 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:31:08 pm »
Big thanks to John and all his helpers for another challenging Elenydd--my fourth consecutive to date and in many ways by far the hardest; got well done in by the heat on section Tregaron - Rhayader; doubted if I could continue but summoned up energy from a rest at The Strand. Was very glad of the company of Dave (IIRC) from Wheelwrights to Upton helped me thro` the last stretch. A tough ride indeed given large variation in conditions , -1 c , then foggy then 20c .....found it more testing in many ways than the snow / hail of 2016.