Author Topic: Cyclists' cycles  (Read 41523 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Cyclists' cycles
« on: 17 October, 2011, 07:27:39 pm »
Found this article linked to on the F Word blog. http://www.grist.org/biking/2011-10-12-riding-the-crimson-tide

Thought the forum women might find it interesting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

Re: Cyclists' cycles
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:35:56 pm »
Yes, very interesting, thanks for posting it Kirst  :thumbsup:

ISTR Ravenbait having some interesting opinions on this very topic, many moons ago.   ::-)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
Thanks for posting this in its own thread. 

I suspect my biggest issue cycling is going to be the blood sugar issues which I in theory have calendared down to day X of my cycle except when it all goes haywire (14 days late and counting grr).  I probably ought to work out the most transportable source of SUGAR for bikes.

Otherwise I'm one of those unfazed by getting intimate with nasty toxins eeevil tampon users and don't anticipate any problems but won't know till I try it.  I wonder if my coordination fail will be problematic and or if hormone-related armfail will get worse/better on a bike...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:08:59 pm »
I probably ought to work out the most transportable source of SUGAR for bikes.

CAKE, obviously[1] :)

[1] Other sources of sugar may be available.  But you've not been desperate enough to try the energy gels yet...

barakta

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »
I probably ought to work out the most transportable source of SUGAR for bikes.

CAKE, obviously[1] :)

[1] Other sources of sugar may be available.  But you've not been desperate enough to try the energy gels yet...

Yeah, I'd rather drink I-Can't-believe-it's-not-redbull.  Or dextrose tabs!  Cake is hard to eat when nauseated from hypoglycaemia and I'd rather /enjoy/ that when not feeling like shit.

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:14:15 pm »
I discovered 2 things on PBP this year (that probably fall into the TMI category for some...):
  • The progesterone only pill that means you shouldn't really have periods = EPIC PHAILZ
  • The string of a tampon can become an unexpected source of friction after a few hundred km resulting in jetisoning the offending item into a hedge somewhere near Dreux much to the consternation of the guy with Schirmer's neck who had been riding on my wheel who pulled over with me because he couldn't look up to see why I had stopped  ;D

barakta

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:28:34 am »
I don't trust hormonal contraceptives as far as I can throw them - bloody useless, progestins are especially suspect.  Everythign which is supposed to "stop a period" is just as likely to cause too much bloody period.  I totally know medicalised women's hormones is unscientific and only focussed on "stopping" or "helping" people have babies which is fine if that's your thing and useless if it isn't.

Not that my own cycle isn't fecked - they say I've got Polycystic ovaries so all bets are off and don't I know it.  I hate hormonal contraceptives they stop my brain working which is a deal breaker.  I'm told there's no other treatment options and defenestrating the lot isn't yet allowed.

I hadn't thought of tampons strings being a problem but I guess after hundreds of ks anything is frictiontastic.   You may have made me laugh rather hard at the jettisoning!  *giggles*  *SNORT*

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
My daughter was conceived whilst I was taking the progesterone only pill (low dose one admittedly). 
     I have one day during every cycle when I am a useless, almost lifeless being.  Weariness akin to that experienced when I was in the nadir period of a chemo treatment. But it only lasts for one day.  (Unlike a chemo nadir). I tend to slink into bed and sleep if I can. 
    I went through an early menopause whilst on chemo and was told that, at 48, that was probably it.  I was fairly pleased.  It seemed a convenient way of dealing with all those nasty menopausal symptoms- they were largely lost in the deluge of chemo side effects.  So imagine my dismay when a year after ceasing treatment, back came the good old periods, regular as clockwork.  Poo.  How mean is that? 

LindaG

« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2011, 11:36:44 am »
My daughter was conceived whilst I was taking the progesterone only pill (low dose one admittedly). 
     I have one day during every cycle when I am a useless, almost lifeless being.  Weariness akin to that experienced when I was in the nadir period of a chemo treatment. But it only lasts for one day.  (Unlike a chemo nadir). I tend to slink into bed and sleep if I can. 
    I went through an early menopause whilst on chemo and was told that, at 48, that was probably it.  I was fairly pleased.  It seemed a convenient way of dealing with all those nasty menopausal symptoms- they were largely lost in the deluge of chemo side effects.  So imagine my dismay when a year after ceasing treatment, back came the good old periods, regular as clockwork.  Poo.  How mean is that?

Very, very mean indeed.

I used to have the injected hormone contraceptive, which is also supposed to stop periods.  Another PHAIL.  With added needle.

I suppose I should be grateful for my body's recalcitrant hormones really, as when I wanted to conceive I did so immediately, with no difficulties whatsoever. 

What do people do when they go into the desert for weeks?   Or into space?

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2011, 11:38:09 am »
mooncup?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2011, 11:41:06 am »

« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:01:16 pm »
mooncup?

Is that a space joke?

It might be interesting in space ;D

I have rather random periods. sometimes heavy with few symptoms, sometimes awful, debilitating cramps and vagueness with a light flow ???, with all the varying possibilities. It often seems worse if it is a very hot day, but there doesn't seem to be anything predictable about them. I sometimes have pre menstrual symptoms for a day, sometimes a week; sometimes I am vague to the point of stupidity, sometimes clumsy to the extent of being unable to walk through a door or pick something up. I get on well with the moon cup though - it doesn't dry you out like a tampon so it doesn't matter if my body decides to have a day off in the middle of a period, or if it decides to be super heavy for a week instead of light for 3 days ::-). It works well for touring too.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »
mooncup?

Is that a space joke?

It might be interesting in space ;D

I have rather random periods. sometimes heavy with few symptoms, sometimes awful, debilitating cramps and vagueness with a light flow ???, with all the varying possibilities. It often seems worse if it is a very hot day, but there doesn't seem to be anything predictable about them. I sometimes have pre menstrual symptoms for a day, sometimes a week; sometimes I am vague to the point of stupidity, sometimes clumsy to the extent of being unable to walk through a door or pick something up. I get on well with the moon cup though - it doesn't dry you out like a tampon so it doesn't matter if my body decides to have a day off in the middle of a period, or if it decides to be super heavy for a week instead of light for 3 days ::-). It works well for touring too.  :)

Yes, I have just invested in a Mooncup.  It has the potential to save ££££££s.  I hope I get on with it.

I used to have dreadful, dreadful PMS symptoms which are vastly improved by one evening primrose capsule every day.  Symptoms which included a day of deep, deep hopelessness and despair every month.  Crusty knew my cycle better than I did, purely due to my mood  :-\

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »
Mooncup web site
Note: I didn't actually look at it 'cos I am at work surrounded by (runs out of fingers) blokes and wasn't sure what the piccies might be like.

IUS has been my friend - reduced the flow to nil - it was a good (+invisible) idea while I was coping with getting separated. 
It's now 2 years out of date, however still no flow.  Ho hum.  (Yes I am aware blah blah I made sure to check etc.).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #14 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
I've used a mooncup for eight or nine years now and I still think it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

« Reply #15 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:50:55 pm »
I put my mooncup in the same 'blimmin brilliant object' category as my bicycle. Both are a handy hack for the human body.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
POTD

« Reply #17 on: 18 October, 2011, 02:11:15 pm »
I bought a mooncup that seemed appropriate for my age and childbearing history according to their website and made 2 unsuccessful attempts to install it, after which I gave up. I'm not sure if I want to spend another 20 squid on the pubescent version only to find that doesn't fit either  :facepalm:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 18 October, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this biological issue

« Reply #19 on: 18 October, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »
The closest I've come to dealing with it is being handed a full mooncup and asked to tip it in the plant pot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #20 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »
I bought a mooncup that seemed appropriate for my age and childbearing history according to their website and made 2 unsuccessful attempts to install it, after which I gave up. I'm not sure if I want to spend another 20 squid on the pubescent version only to find that doesn't fit either  :facepalm:
I had this problem too.  A midwife friend thought it may be to do with the fact that I had a rather excessive amount of stitches after Frances was delivered. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »
Somehow my periods never clashed with my Epic Cycling Trips. I menstruated rather less when I started Audaxing but eventually reverted to regular(ish) cycles.
They seem more regular now I've stopped riding a bicycle.
I am 53...

« Reply #22 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:30:36 pm »
I find that the more exercise I get, the more regular and painless my periods are, and the less PMS Tim suffers.* I too am an evil toxin inserter, though I have suffered chafing issues on longer rides.

I've considered mooncups, but given my fat fingers, retroverted uterus and long fingernails mean I can't insert an applicatorless tampon, I figured I'd have no chance with a silicone BUKKIT.

Oh, and progesterone-only pills? Yup, TEH PHAILZ.

*Though I don't know why I'm five days early this month. Probably 'cos today I'm wearing white tights and a white-lined dress which is dry-clean-only. ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

barakta

« Reply #23 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »
I find that the more exercise I get, the more regular and painless my periods are, and the less PMS Tim suffers.* I too am an evil toxin inserter, though I have suffered chafing issues on longer rides.

I've considered mooncups, but given my fat fingers, retroverted uterus and long fingernails mean I can't insert an applicatorless tampon, I figured I'd have no chance with a silicone BUKKIT.

I'm another one with a retroverted uterus (oh hai all the women in my family have it) and can't do non-applicator tampons.  I tried a mooncup but I don't have the manual dexterity to get it in and out without shredding myself which usually made me scream or cry.  I suspect the uterus thing makes it sit funny as well. Tampons work so screwit, I'll keep using those and when people lecture me (and they do) I suggest they try living with my hands or STFU.

I'm now trying to decide if I retry pill2 (which didn't really solve any of my issue and made me stupid) or mirena coil or request SomethingElseToFixIt on the grounds of "this is causing me serious fatigue issues SORT it!". 

No idea if exercise will help, I can't do a lot of it for various disability reasons.  I need to chase Mr Kevin of DTek to send me that trike quote and see if that works as an option.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #24 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »
I did find it took me a few months to get properly used to the mooncup, but once I'd got the hang of it, it's no more difficult than tampons. I never got the hang of applicator tampons though. I always managed to pinch a bit of me with the applicator.  :o

ETA: my periods have gone haywire since I got the IUD at the end of June. From 4-6 days, they're now 10-14 days, which is just fucking ridiculous. So if they haven't settled by Christmas, I'm going back to family planning and demanding they Do Something.