Author Topic: Condor Tempo  (Read 18243 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Condor Tempo
« on: 26 March, 2014, 09:49:13 pm »
Club mate Joolz recommended me the Condor Tempo as a more than worthy replacement for my stolen steam roller, as did Rob FTP.

So I got a F&F and used shed bits and cheap parts to make one up.  I took her out on the work circuit for her maiden voyage today.  Shit the bed.  She rode like a dream.  Fast, agile and comfortable.

The Condor Tempo is fculing ace

Anyone else agree?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Condor Tempo
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »
No, tell me it is rubbish, the worst bike ever.

It is identical geometry to the Fratello, which I love. 

I really need a matching Tempo in orange.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »
Oh dear.

I really, really don't need to replace the Dolan frame that I'm currently using. It rides well, it's my size, and F&F were a third of the price of the Tempo.

The Condor can't be three times as nice, surely. Can it?

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:49:03 pm »
They do look classy, enjoy!

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
The Tempo I acquired from Robh certainly rides very nicely. We've been out on 3 x 200km so far and she's a close match to my well used Roberts fixed. With 28 section tyres fitted the Tempo seems to float better over rough roads. Will be riding the Dean this w/e for our first 300 km and I'm expecting to have fun. Pic courtesy of Robh below - luv the colour!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2014, 10:04:51 pm »
^ that is a cracker

This year's frames only have one set of bottle bosses on, which is a bit silly for a bike that is perfectly suited for distance riding. Apparently, you can ask them to give you two sets, but it adds a little into lead time.
Right! What's next?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2014, 08:40:18 am »
What frame size do you have folks?  I'm just under 6' 1" but strangely got measured for a 55cm.  I can't help thinking it might be too small.  I mentioned that my Steamroller was 59cm but he went into something about Condor sizing.  There is about a 4-5cm gap when I'm stood over the frame as far forward as I can go.

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2014, 11:07:26 am »
Mine is 52cm & I'm 1.70m (5' 7"). This is smaller than my previous frame but the fit is very similar. Looking at standard size charts I'd expect to fit around 55cm normally.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »
Same here.   Used to ride a 55cm frame but ended up with a 52cm Tempo after a Condor bike fit.

Fits me perfectly.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2014, 02:46:16 pm »
Cheers folks,
I have been on the phone to Condor this morning.  They say the same about the sizing.  However, that being said, the bike just feels too small.  I'm meeting up with them next week to check.

The top tube is a good 5cm below my crotch when stood over the frame.  When I'm riding it I feel confined and hunched-up.  My weight feels like it's alll over the rear axle instead of feeling centred on the bike.  Would anyone say that this concurrent with a bike that's too small?  Or is this normal?

Looks wise, its a good 2-3 inches lower than my Audax bike and looks like a 24" BMX cruiser when compared to my other road frames.  The top-tube doesn't look long enough and the seat post is like a drain-pipe.

I must say though, the guys at Condor are ace and not at all defensive.  When I got into cycling I wasn't always happy with 'Condor-scending' but they appeared to have changed their attitude a long time ago, with the service now being most excellent indeed.

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »
I'm 6' 1" and mine's the 58cm frame = 57cm ETT. This sizes feels perfect for me reachwise (edit with a 120mm stem) and the 20.5 cm headtube gives comfortable bar height without loads of spacers. The 55cm frame has 1.5cm shorter ETT and 3cm shorter headtube - I'm not surprised it feels too small for you Jonah. If you're riding the Dean tomorrow on a bike with spds we could swap for a few km if you like. Otherwise you're welcome to come over to Ealing for a spin.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »
Perfecto - I'll see you at the start kind sir - I'll try to get there in good time  :D

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2014, 06:04:56 pm »
I love mine  ::-)
I am 5'9'' and was 'bike fitted' by Condor for a 52cm frame and 90 mm stem. The fit (for me) is spot on. Travelled 200 miles to the shop but it was worth it.
Swiss Hat - what combination of tyres and mudguards have you got to allow 28mm tyres? I can only just get 25mm Pro 4's under my SKS mudguards. I have dropped to 23mm this winter to allow a bit more room to stop the build up of crap touching the tyres (maybe I am riding along too many wet country lanes!).

« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
SKS Bluemels mudguards which have a round profile and are tight up against the fork crown and rear brake bridge. Tyres are Conti GP4S 28mm. Clearances are good; I don't get noises from gravel picked up by the tyres scratching around the mudguards.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2014, 05:22:43 pm »
Thanks very much for the bike-fit Swiss-Hat,

Condor are nice guys but I've been sold a bike that's too small for me.  This, I now know for sure.  The stand-over height of your bike is spot-on and the reach (even with your larger stem) is fine.  The head tube height also makes your bike feel like a road bike, as opposed to my girlfriend's bike.  I also take your point about having your bars over the front wheel.  This is a feature that is sadly lacking from my current set-up.

I'm really quite annoyed now.  I know that an off-the-peg frame will never be perfect but surly it's better to have a bike that's too big than to small?

The Dean as quite tough for me.  I'ts been awhile! :)

Jonah

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »
Thanks Top Hat  :thumbsup:
I have narrow SKS Chromoplastic mudguards fitted at the moment. I need to look again at the whole thing again - mine are also tight up against the fork crown and rear brake bridge. Any ideas fellow Tempo (2010 52 cm) owners?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:14:09 pm »
Not a Tempo - but a 52cm Fratello 2011 model (can't remember when this current generation of the frame was launched - but you may have the older frame?). 

I use SKS Chromaplastic mudguards and 28mm Conti 4 Seasons without any issues.  There's enough space in there for a good few mm of thick mud to concrete itself inside of the mudguards.
Right! What's next?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2014, 11:06:37 pm »
02-Apr-2014 return of 55cm Condor Tempo frame (built up) - PS My frame size is 61.5cm (+3cm stack of spacers on my Audax bike)
10-Apr-2014 - No reply from the shop

I must say I am at a loss to find why these guys offer a good service?

« Reply #18 on: 14 April, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

Here's hoping you get a call to collect the built up 58cm frame soon. After a few rides it will all be history. I still can't work out why the fitting "experts" at Condor thought a 55cm would be best for you. Probably others out there have had the same advice.

Really enjoying riding my Tempo. It passed the Hardboiled 300 road test very well  :thumbsup:

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #19 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »
02-Apr-2014 return of 55cm Condor Tempo frame (built up) - PS My frame size is 61.5cm (+3cm stack of spacers on my Audax bike)

I must say I am at a loss to find why these guys offer a good service?

I have emailed them today about refitting my Italia that I got last year and have had responses quickly. Perhaps give them a ring? They are generally very helpful indeed.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »
I'll give them a call tomorrow. 
I must say, I'm really looking forward to trying out my new bike and never going in the shop again.
Ever.

Jakob

« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2014, 02:03:46 am »
I know that an off-the-peg frame will never be perfect but surly it's better to have a bike that's too big than to small?

I had a bike that was slightly too small and I'd rather take one that's too small instead.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
Finally got my new frame - fits great :D

However, the paint work is not the same as my previous frame.  This time around around I have been presented with a drive-side chain stay that has been almost entirely painted white.  I can see no practical or aesthetic value in this addition.  Could anyone else perhaps enlighten me?  In my opinion it ruins the otherwise classic and simple elegance of the bike.  In my experience the part of your bike that is destined to get the dirtiest coating of oil is the chain stay, even if you don't use gears.  Why then do Condor decide that paining the entire chain stay bright white with additional gold bands is a good idea?  It looks fucking ridiculous.  The bike now resembles a 1950's ice cream van.

Please could anyone suggest a suitable covering?  Shrink wrap might be the way forward if I knew where to get some?  I am reluctant to use one of the stick-on chain stay protectors because it will only add to the confusion and is obviously entirely irrelevant on a bike such as this.

« Reply #23 on: 24 April, 2014, 06:46:05 pm »
Doesn't the picture up thread show the same thing?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: 24 April, 2014, 08:54:27 pm »
Doesn't the picture up thread show the same thing?
Yes my blue Tempo has the white drive side chain stay. Gets the odd bit of chain lube but a quick wipe down and it's clean again so not really a problem. I suspect it's a transfer over the blue paint, as is seatpost banding, so provides a bit of extra frame protection from the chain when taking the wheel out.