Author Topic: The hottest curry...  (Read 8521 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The hottest curry...
« on: 21 March, 2009, 10:34:17 pm »
I just had a Garlic Chicken Chilli Massala from one of our local take aways and it was probably the second hottest curry I've ever had. The hottest was a Vindaloo from Bradford many years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The hottest curry...
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2009, 10:56:06 pm »
I just had a Garlic Chicken Chilli Massala...

One of my favourites that one  :thumbsup:

I'm not such a fan of hugely hot curries for the sake of it, but enjoy them if their are sufficient flavours making it a bit more interesting than simply 'hot'.  I have never had a vindaloo. 

The hottest Indian food I ever tasted was something called Chicken Dhuri (sp?) when I was in my late teens - one of my mates ordered it and could not eat it.  Everyone at the table had a forkful and that was enough!  :o  Not enjoyable at all.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2009, 11:53:56 pm »
I like vindaloo, but chicken chilli massala is my favourite.

I did once try a Bangalore phal, which was bloody hot - but I did finish it. Hottest thing I ever ate in my life was a green chicken curry in Bangkok. Over there they ask you 'spicy or not spicy'. I'd got quite used to spicy, but this was on a whole new level. I perspired gallons of sweat, snorted out pints of snot, gasped for air, cried freely and then got eructatingly acidic hiccups. Had to find a pharmacy to sort me out after that one.    

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2009, 12:28:39 am »
My hottest meal was also in Thailand.

When I ordered it they said "No, no - not for tourists only for Thai people".  Fancying myself as liking spicy food I ordered anyway and then all the waitstaff came and stood around the table when it arrived.  It WAS hot!!!  I enjoyed it (what I could taste other than HOT) but downed several litres of water and broke out in a sweat.  When I finished, they applauded.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2009, 02:50:46 am »
Go South if you want to eat real spicy food in Thailand. The stuff in Bangkok except for one Restaurant I know is mild by Thai standards.

But then I've lived here for twenty years and may be used to it. :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2009, 07:35:04 am »

..............I did once try a Bangalore phal, which was bloody hot - but I did finish it.....  

We used to prod each other on  to eat these on weekends out as students - hot hot hot  :o :o :o, these days I stop at Madras heat.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2009, 10:48:36 am »
Go South if you want to eat real spicy food in Thailand. The stuff in Bangkok except for one Restaurant I know is mild by Thai standards.

I've been all over Thailand and have visited the far south many times. It's certainly true that the food tends to be spicier down there in general. But that one I had in Bangkok... well, it blew everything else away.

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:49:15 am »
We went to an indian resteraunt a few years ago and I had some kind of lamb dish cooked with chickpeas. My uncle is Egyptian and always takes the michael about what we consider as being hot but he had the same dish and had to agree that the thing was evil. Very tasty but could have burnt the pattern of the plates.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:55:07 am »
Our local takeaway produces such delicious food that my pal is trying to work out how to get them to deliver to France - from Rochdaleshire!

I have tried just about every variation of chicken and king prawn on the menu including the Vindaloo, Jalfrezi and the hot Achari. As I said, delicious and flavourful but not nuclear.

One day I got brave and ordered a Naga, described as a Nepalese dish using Naga chillies. I got it home and opened the container . . .

OH

.                                                  MY

.                                                                                       GOD!

The sauce looked to be blended nuclear waste - I swear it glowed! Naga chillies turned out to be red 'birdseye' numbers it tasted superb but my god it was hot!

J

ps I would order it again but I appear to be allergic to the chillies. Within a half hour of finishing the curry I began to sneeze, and sneezed continuously for about 3 hours
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:58:22 am »
I remember going to the Khyber Pass in South Ken with a bunch of work mates, and one particularly mad Finnish post-doc had a Phal.  I tried a forkful, and it made my mouth go entirely numb, it did taste very good however.  All due credit to her, she finished the entire curry!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »

I've been all over Thailand and have visited the far south many times. It's certainly true that the food tends to be spicier down there in general. But that one I had in Bangkok... well, it blew everything else away.

You must have gone to the one I was referring to :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2009, 12:16:54 pm »
Had a Phal (or similar) in Coventry at a work meal. There was only two of use that could eat it. The others tasted a bit of it and spluttered or turned a funny colour. Or both.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2009, 01:21:41 pm »
May I refer the Honorable Gentlemen (and Lady) to Death by Curry..?

Enjoy!   ;D :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2009, 06:40:21 pm »
May I refer the Honorable Gentlemen (and Lady) to Death by Curry..?

Enjoy!   ;D :demon:

Thank you, there are maybe one or two places in Denmark you can get a good curry, now I can try and make one at home.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2009, 11:11:40 am »
I remember going to the Khyber Pass in South Ken with a bunch of work mates, and one particularly mad Finnish post-doc had a Phal.  I tried a forkful, and it made my mouth go entirely numb, it did taste very good however.  All due credit to her, she finished the entire curry!

Blimey!  Is the Khyber still there?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:38:48 pm »
The curry houses in Budapest are notoriously reluctant to spice up their curries. Strange considering the chilli-based cooking of the place.

One exception is the Taj Mahal. In every other place, one asks for the curry very hot and it arrives sort-of UK Madras strength if that hot. So I ask for a chicken vindaloo and asked for it to be very hot. To their credit, they asked if I was sure, which I was; adamant even.

When it arrived it was blisteringly hot & it took 45 minutes to get it down with plenty of rice. I got about 5 minutes from home, when the grip kicked in. Waves of peristalsis crippling me into doing the John Inman two-step. I just made it, but it was cloth-touchingly close. It was tasty, I'll give them that, but every subsequent visit has made me more cautious in my choices.

The other hot one I had was in the Moghul in Acocks Green, Brum. That was a Prawn Banglaore and was so chilli-laden that it made my eyes water when they took the lid off. Very hot, but very tasty.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tiger

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:25:06 pm »
I sat down to lunch on trip to Mexico and they bought out fried rolled chillies as a starter. Good with beer but a bit spicy said host. I ate one because I am hard as nails me.  I cried. My tongue swelled up so I could not speak. Sweat came out of every pore on my body so my clothes suddenly stained wet.  I got enormous hiccups. I was unable to eat anything at all for lunch and was unable to contribute to the meeting in the afternon because I felt so shivery and my tongue woudl not work. 
I still feel bad just thinking about it.

« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »

Blimey!  Is the Khyber still there?

Unfortunately, I don't think it is anymore.  I believe it folded a couple of years ago, which was a shame, since they did very good curries.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2009, 02:18:35 pm »
The hottest food I've ever had in the UK was in the north end of Coventry. It was some shitty curry house and we just asked for "The hottest shit you've got".

It was HOT! I didn't finish mine. And I smoke and drink to excess, so my taste buds aren't up to much!

I had a nose runningly hot peri peri in SA which could rival that bad boy, but the hottest stuff was defo Thai.

Jungle curry anyone?

*feels hungry*
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »
Ooh Mama, Too Hot? Too Spicy? HOT! HOT!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »
I had a bit of a friend's "Tindaloo" from the students' favourite: Balti King in Broomhill, Sheffield. The hottest thing they had on the menu, purely for drunk stupid students to eat. Unbearably hot, and I can handle a bit of spiciness. God knows how he ate it all (with no liquids or rice either).

A nice hot Madras or Chili Masala does me perfectly now. I like to enjoy the curry, not put up with it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jakob

« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:29:41 pm »
My partner is Korean. A couple of times, she's cooked a dish stating that 'this is too hot for you', but I can pretty much match her now.
None of us like hot for hots sake, though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
I had a bit of a friend's "Tindaloo" from the students' favourite: Balti King in Broomhill, Sheffield. The hottest thing they had on the menu, purely for drunk stupid students to eat. Unbearably hot, and I can handle a bit of spiciness. God knows how he ate it all (with no liquids or rice either).

A nice hot Madras or Chili Masala does me perfectly now. I like to enjoy the curry, not put up with it.

Nirmal, on West Street (Sheffield) was best for that. Shame she retired. Not hot, just TASTY!

« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:02:54 am »
I took the plunge and ordered from an online curry shop, and tried the Bangalore Naga. Oh fcuk!  :o  I'm sticking to what I know in future.
Working my way up to inferior.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:15:07 am »
The hottest thing I ever ate was a whole habanero chilli, which made my face go numb and gave me palpitations. But that was well and truly trumped by this stuff we got delivered to the office recently for review purposes:
Satan's Blood from Sauce Crafters Inc. - Conceived at 800,000 Scoville units, on Friday the 13th...

One poor sap "volunteered" to taste it, which involved having a tiny spot of the stuff dabbed on his tongue. Within a minute, his eyes were bloodshot, he was in a cold sweat, his heart was racing and he had to sit down. Even copious amounts of ice cream didn't do much to negate the effect.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."