Author Topic: Rampant raspberries  (Read 2393 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rampant raspberries
« on: 17 April, 2023, 05:09:41 pm »
My raspberry canes are about to start their third summer. I've been out doing some digging today - the first since February - and I notice that there are several small raspberry canes emerging some distance from the original ones up to about a metre away.

I think it's likely that these are spreading from the original roots rather than seedlings from bird shit etc. as if the latter then they would be spread more liberally around the garden, so I think they will be quite viable canes. But I don't really want the raspberries completely taking over. Ours isn't a massive plot and there are other things I want to put in. However, I wouldn't mind transplanting them to a different bit of the garden.

Should I do this now whilst they are small, or leave them until the autumn?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Rampant raspberries
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2023, 10:16:29 pm »
I've done it successfully (mostly) in spring, when I noticed raspberries springing up in the grass & didn't want to spend months mowing round them.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: Rampant raspberries
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2023, 08:21:18 am »
They really are thuggish plants. They will walk huge distances and can dislodge paving slabs.
I try to dig out the unwanted plants during winter and spring, but will be merciless whenever they get in my way.
Pity, because you can't beat fresh Raspberries straight off the bush.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.