Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186638 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1050 on: 25 October, 2019, 07:52:06 pm »
All 720kb?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #1051 on: 25 October, 2019, 08:40:42 pm »
Pah, I'm high density.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1052 on: 26 October, 2019, 12:49:46 am »
... and realise refocusing eyes twixt screen and scene requires effort/head movement/other specs etc.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1053 on: 26 October, 2019, 07:42:27 am »
... and realise refocusing eyes twixt screen and scene requires effort/head movement/other specs etc.
You just reached the stage I was at 30 years ago.  I recall feeing slightly insulted when the optician had a chuckle and said "happens to us all".

The only thing floppy about me is my disk.

Lumbar, presumably?  ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #1054 on: 26 October, 2019, 08:00:49 am »

In my case, I need an automatic glasses-flipper-upper

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1055 on: 26 October, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »
You just reached the stage I was at 30 years ago.  I recall feeing slightly insulted when the optician had a chuckle and said "happens to us all".

I probably reached that stage 15 years ago and really valued the optical viewfinder in my Canon IXUS 70 and the film cameras before.

I don't take photos now much as my left eye and right hand don't work well..

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1056 on: 27 October, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you get out your camera to take a photo and notice everyone else is using their smartphone.

...and you're the only one photographing the landscape with the long axis of the sensor horizontal.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #1057 on: 27 October, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »
....you do a scan as you shop in a branch of that well known supermarket chain, spot their 25% off 6 or more bottles of wine offer, dutifully scan in 6 to see the discount appear, get home to find you only bagged 5.  Rats.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1058 on: 27 October, 2019, 03:54:45 pm »
Someone recently did similar with tinned soup elsewhere in this forum...
... we are all middle-aged...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1059 on: 27 October, 2019, 04:33:20 pm »
I'm glad someone else did that with tinned soup.

There I was getting ready for Brexit on Tuesday and when I got home I discovered I was missing the tenth tin of soup and the discount  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

« Reply #1060 on: 27 October, 2019, 05:32:03 pm »
I'm glad someone else did that Wirth tinned soup.

There I was getting ready for Brexit on Tuesday and when I got home I discovered I was missing the tenth tin of soup and the discount  >:(

yes, I think that was you, upthread

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1061 on: 27 October, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »
...you remember being asked in a job interview if working in a non-smoking office would be a problem.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1062 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:42:07 am »
Continuing my camera theme, perhaps to confirm middle-age: at an extended family get-together today my mother-in-law takes a photo, sighs loudly and says, "What a pity, that's the last one; we'll have to buy a new film."

Four-seasons films, our old village photographer used to call them.  Back when we collected cameras we'd often get one with a film in it - the last the previous owner had taken before dying.

ian

« Reply #1063 on: 28 October, 2019, 09:30:25 am »
I remember that my first digital camera was a Kodak. Took, I think, 600x400 protographs.

I can't say I've used a non-phone digital camera in a decade, there's a Panasonic Lumix and a Canon Powershot in the cupboard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1064 on: 29 October, 2019, 11:31:59 pm »
You discover that Young People have adopted one of your family neologisms[1], and given it a completely different meaning[2].

[1] Dench v. To damage through careless bashing or scraping.
[2] https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dench

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1065 on: 30 October, 2019, 08:34:28 am »
I'm glad someone else did that Wirth tinned soup.

yes, I think that was you, upthread

Ah yes! I wondered why I had 18 tins of soup...  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1066 on: 30 October, 2019, 08:45:18 am »
You discover that Young People have adopted one of your family neologisms[1], and given it a completely different meaning[2].

[1] Dench v. To damage through careless bashing or scraping.
[2] https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dench

Even worse when you find that an everyday expression of your youth has taken on utterly filthy connotations.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1067 on: 30 October, 2019, 08:59:28 am »
Urban Dictionary implies dench came from Judi, whereas the young persons say it came from hench, a contraction of henchman, used by muscled bodybuilders.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1068 on: 30 October, 2019, 09:24:31 pm »
 ... you can finally stop pretending you enjoy clubbing.

Nightclubbing.  Not seal clubbing.  Never done that.

Don't like golf clubbing either.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1069 on: 30 October, 2019, 10:09:37 pm »
I've been not enjoying clubbing since I was about 16, never saw the need to pretend.  I was already deeply uncool for eschewing drinkohol, so didn't really have anything to prove.

Straight clubs: Terrible music, smoking, too loud to hear - let alone think, obnoxious drunk men, people who are on drugs, homophobic bouncers.
Gay clubs: Cheesy music, even more smoking, too loud to hear - let alone think, scary gropy women, people who think you're on drugs, slightly less homophobic[1] bouncers.
Golf clubs: Ballsport for Scots and rich people.  What's the point when they don't even have a windmill?
Seal clubbing I leave to the mathematicians[2].

:hand:

If I'm going to damage my lungs/cochlea, I'd rather go to a gig, where at least the music stands a chance of being decent.

ETA: I've just realised all my nightclub (and indeed golf club) experience predates the smoking ban.  I think the last time was when Hanananananah The Astronononononomer was DJing, which was a fantastic night out with above-average music, that culminated in a large dose of prednisolone.   :facepalm:

[1] IIRC when I was a PSO the Stupid Union famously had to pass a motion threatening not to renew Right Wing Security's contract if they kept refusing people access to the gay night for looking a bit quiltbaggy, and then renewed it anyway.  Because Canterbury really is that shit.
[2] In-joke too obscure to be worth explaining.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1070 on: 30 October, 2019, 10:29:14 pm »
[Not really middle-aged any more]

Sister (younger than me) sadly announced death of a former classmate on Facebook.

I think she would have turned 60 today.  :'(

ian

« Reply #1071 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
Clubs mostly existed to clobber your inhibitions senseless so you could attempt to meet the sort of sexual partners you'd probably regret meeting the following morning. Sometimes you'd even go out a couple of times, slowly realising that really all you had in common was mutual incomprehension and a biological urge. That was a good outcome*. Mostly you'd go home and eat chips with your similarly unsuccessful flatmates.

Actually, it was good fun. I used to love it. I remember we used to go to a place called Macmillans in Liverpool. Sweat would drip from the ceilings and you had to dance to prevent your feet becoming permanent bonded to the floor. It was £5, if I recall, and they'd serve vodka and tizer. There were nights at the student union, of course, though we used to go downmarket to the poly on account we thought the women were more attractive there (I'm not sure they were, but for the same reason we'd always go the humanities library**, better scenery***) and also that they'd be more liberal with their attentions (in my experience, no).

I think my most recent clubbing experience landed us in a former-bank basement in Philadelphia (the place we were supposed to go was closing, so this was Uber-driver roulette) a few years back. We only got in because my colleague loudly and poshly declared 'but we're British!' (you have to have ID, it's the US of course). I think we were twenty years older than every other customer. We were drunk enough for it to be fun. It was mostly an interesting anthropological experience that I'm not keen to repeat.

*well, many people seem to get married with less in common.
**children, ask your parents. A large building with books in it. Actual books.
***sorry, but this is how men of a certain age (anywhere between 11 and 85) think. Women, I suspect, too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1072 on: 31 October, 2019, 10:00:16 am »
This has prompted me to dig out the T-shirt I "won" in Crystal nightclub, Apia, in 1996. Says nightclub on the T-shirt but more of a disco in a village hall really. Lots of cheesy polynesian pop and a "raffle" in which, by some amazing coincidence, all the tourists won T-shirts and all the other prizes (cigarettes and alcohol, and no they didn't, in fact they probably didn't even know it) went to locals. Music and dancing are fun if you can escape the pressure to be cool stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1073 on: 31 October, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
For my 60th birthday I'm going to grow a long blond ponytail, squeeze myself into a leopard skin suit, or failing that a YACF jersey, and go out on the town. For extra points I'll insist that the DJ (do they still have human DJs? Will they then? Won't it all be robots?) play something by Rod Stewart.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1074 on: 31 October, 2019, 05:57:52 pm »
You wouldn't suggest that if you had SEEN THIS
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.