Author Topic: Proposed Traffic Regulation Order banning cyclists from the A63  (Read 19000 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Proposed Traffic Regulation Order banning cyclists from the A63
« Reply #75 on: 09 February, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »
Hi Karla, If you Google freedom of information and a63 it is one of three top hits... Hull City Council, East Riding Council, and Humberside Police.

Here it is

We have checked with various officers at Hull City Council within our
Highway and Legal teams and also our Councillor who is the Portfolio for
Highways and Transport, however we have no knowledge of supporting this
order so do not hold any recorded information to provide you with.

I suggest that you contact Highways England and ask them for
correspondence they hold relating to this.  Please don’t hesitate to
contact us again so we can look into this further, particularly if you can
provide us with the name of our Council Officer and/or Councillor so we
can liaise directly with them.

:o :o :o

« Reply #76 on: 11 February, 2018, 03:22:10 pm »
Did they really think no one would check?  ;D

« Reply #77 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »
Did they really think no one would check?  ;D
I suspect there is widespread ignorance of the organisational intelligence of the cycling community

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #78 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:38:36 pm »
http://balancingontwowheels.com/2018/01/highways-england-to-ban-cyclists-from-trunk-road/

I've updated my blog with photographs of the A63 I've taken throughout the day. I wonder if those who believe it is 'common sense' that people shouldn't cycle along this road only ever imagine it at rush hour.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #79 on: 16 February, 2018, 05:42:27 pm »
Humberside police have made their clearest anti-cycling statement yet, in responding to Phil Barnes 'Freedom of Information Request': https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/prohibition_of_cyclist_using_the

TL;DR

Humberside Police said, "We believe the Force first stated its opposition to holding cycling events on open public roads, including the A63, a number of years ago."

--

Humberside Police are opposed to Time Trialing on the A63. They oppose it, so eventually a TRO is introduced banning all cycling. So what happens when the Trialists move to the A1079. Presumably Humberside Police will oppose it, then will work with a local authority to bring in a TRO, and slowly chase Trialists around the county introducing TROs until there is no 'open road' legal to cycle on. Oh, and they're not just opposed to TTs. They are also opposed to 'charity events' on open roads.

Nice. Welcome to Yorkshire: Not.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #80 on: 16 February, 2018, 07:07:49 pm »
This popped up on Facebook today, automates the objection process a good bit! :thumbsup:  535 responses so far!

https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/20163/action/1?ea.tracking.id=FB

Highways England should be looking to make cycling safer, not banning outright a healthy, fun and safe activity enjoyed by millions. Cycling UK has submitted its objections to the proposed ban and, thanks to the widespread outrage, this government company is now extending its consultation by a further three weeks, up till 12 March.

We now need your help and support for our objections. All you need to do is add your name and details below, click "next" and you'll be taken to a template submission which also allows you to add your own views. As Highways England insists on only receiving hard copies, to save you the inconvenience and cost of printing this off and sending it in the mail, Cycling UK will print off your objection and submit it along with our final response to Highways England on the consultation deadline of 12 March.
Regards,

Joergen

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #81 on: 16 February, 2018, 07:20:07 pm »
Humberside police have made their clearest anti-cycling statement yet, in responding to Phil Barnes 'Freedom of Information Request': https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/prohibition_of_cyclist_using_the

TL;DR

Humberside Police said, "We believe the Force first stated its opposition to holding cycling events on open public roads, including the A63, a number of years ago."

It's galling isn't it.  The fuzz have stated their opposition to cycling on the road in general (in the face of the law) and the A63 is merely part of a piecemeal attack on cycling that will be enacted wherever they can get an order to stick.  Great.

At least it's nice to know it's nothing about the A63 in particular  ::-)

[EDIT: I also wonder who this is in Hull police?  All the regular organisers on the V718 claim to have a good rapport with the force.]

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #82 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »
East Riding of Yorkshire County Council's response:
[Edited after Graeme pointed out a bit I'd missed]

At the time of your writing, East Riding of Yorkshire Council had not been formally consulted on the proposal.  However, discussions have now taken place and a formal response has been sent to Highways England as set out below:

‘East Riding of Yorkshire Council supports more cycling, more safely.  Consequently, the A63 is not a route we would recommend to either utility or leisure cyclists as safer, alternative routes are available.

We fully appreciate that Highways England feel compelled to introduce this prohibition in order to resolve safety concerns associated with competitive cycle time trialling on sections of this route and respect the views of our partners at Humberside Police who have had to deal with the consequences of the thankfully small number of tragic incidents which have occurred as a result.

The A63 is part of the national Strategic Road Network and is recognised for its importance both nationally and internationally.  It is the main route into and out of the port facilities in Hull and carries considerable commercial traffic in addition to a growing volume of local vehicles.

In the East Riding, the A63 is a 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and has very poor resilience to incidents, which frequently cause considerable delays.  There are concerns over the recent safety record of this route, with junction design and overall capacity as key issues.

We have been discussing with Highways England the long term potential for upgrading the A63 to 'Expressway' status to improve its safety and capacity.

In these circumstances the Council would support Highways England’s proposals and look to work with them to improve alternatives to the A63 for cyclists along this corridor.

We would like confirmation that the order will not affect overbridges, the cycle facilities already constructed alongside sections of the route or the two way sections of the slip roads at Hessle and North Cave junctions.  This appears to be clear in the wording of the order but some of the drawings may need clarification.’

If you are dissatisfied with the above response or how your request has been handled you can ask for the Council to review this by contacting the Freedom of Information Coordinator on the above telephone number or by email on foi@eastriding.gov.uk within 6 weeks of this letter which is 11 April 2018.

A senior manager will carry out the review within 10 working days of receipt of your request and provide a response within 20 working days.  It will provide a fair and thorough review of the decisions taken and where necessary how your request has been handled.

If you are not content with the outcome of the review you can apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the Council’s review procedure.  The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate number)
Fax: 01625 524 510

Alternatively email: casework@ico.org.uk.

Yours sincerely

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #83 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:07:19 pm »
Graeme Holdsworth 1 March 2018
Dear Humberside Police and Crime Commissioner,

Why is it Humberside Police Policy to oppose cycling events on open roads?

In a recent response to Mr Barnes FOI request regarding Humberside Police support for a 24/7 ban on cycling along the A63 (and associated slip roads), the Information Compliance Officer replied: "We believe the Force first stated its opposition to holding cycling events on open public roads, including the A63, a number of years ago."

See: Ref: F-2018-00150
See link: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p...

I request you provide the following information:
1. Please publish the supporting information for this Police Policy.
2. Please publish the legal reasoning for opposing all cycling events on public roads.
3. Please publish correspondence between Humberside Police and elected officials which resulted in the conclusion that opposing cycling events was the correct policy decision to take.
4. Please publish the reasoning that extends 'opposing cycling events' to 'opposing cycling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at the request of Highways England.

Yours faithfully,
The Revd Graeme Holdsworth

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/humberside_police_background_on#outgoing-742390

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #84 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:29:24 pm »
East Riding of Yorkshire County Council's response:

‘East Riding of Yorkshire Council supports more cycling, more safely.  Consequently, the A63 is not a route we would recommend to either utility or leisure cyclists as safer, alternative routes are available.

We fully appreciate that Highways England feel compelled to introduce this prohibition in order to resolve safety concerns associated with competitive cycle time trialling on sections of this route and respect the views of our partners at Humberside Police who have had to deal with the consequences of the thankfully small number of tragic incidents which have occurred as a result.

The A63 is part of the national Strategic Road Network and is recognised for its importance both nationally and internationally.  It is the main route into and out of the port facilities in Hull and carries considerable commercial traffic in addition to a growing volume of local vehicles.

In the East Riding, the A63 is a 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and has very poor resilience to incidents, which frequently cause considerable delays.  There are concerns over the recent safety record of this route, with junction design and overall capacity as key issues.

We have been discussing with Highways England the long term potential for upgrading the A63 to 'Expressway' status to improve its safety and capacity.

In these circumstances the Council would support Highways England’s proposals and look to work with them to improve alternatives to the A63 for cyclists along this corridor.

We would like confirmation that the order will not affect overbridges, the cycle facilities already constructed alongside sections of the route or the two way sections of the slip roads at Hessle and North Cave junctions.  This appears to be clear in the wording of the order but some of the drawings may need clarification.’

If you are dissatisfied with the above response or how your request has been handled you can ask for the Council to review this by contacting the Freedom of Information Coordinator on the above telephone number or by email on foi@eastriding.gov.uk within 6 weeks of this letter which is 11 April 2018.

A senior manager will carry out the review within 10 working days of receipt of your request and provide a response within 20 working days.  It will provide a fair and thorough review of the decisions taken and where necessary how your request has been handled.

If you are not content with the outcome of the review you can apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted the Council’s review procedure.  The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate number)
Fax: 01625 524 510

Alternatively email: casework@ico.org.uk.

Yours sincerely

Hey Karla - great news that the Vicar can cycle to church... but interesting that Highways England misrepresented both Hull City Council AND East Riding Council:

... in the bit just before the section you quoted, East Riding Council say: "At the time of your writing, East Riding of Yorkshire Council had not been formally consulted on the proposal.  However, discussions have now taken place and a formal response has been sent to Highways England as set out below:"

At the time of your writing... not consulted...
So Highways England, on a public document, claimed to have the support of two sets of elected officials when they didn't in fact have that support.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #85 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:37:34 pm »
My local MP has written to Highways England and Humberside Police to ask for their justification on the ban. Can't do any harm. I hope.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #86 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »
That's an odd response by ERYC

But I thought that HE didn't have a specific problem with time-trialling, but want the ban on general safety grounds. How many tragic incidents have occurred specifically to time triallists on the V?

To me that reads as "we don't support the proposal unless it as part of an upgrading of the road" or "you scratch my back.."

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #87 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:59:38 pm »
Hey Karla - great news that the Vicar can cycle to church... but interesting that Highways England misrepresented both Hull City Council AND East Riding Council:

... in the bit just before the section you quoted, East Riding Council say: "At the time of your writing, East Riding of Yorkshire Council had not been formally consulted on the proposal.  However, discussions have now taken place and a formal response has been sent to Highways England as set out below:"

At the time of your writing... not consulted...
So Highways England, on a public document, claimed to have the support of two sets of elected officials when they didn't in fact have that support.

So they do - I've edited my post to include it.  Claiming support from not one but TWO organisations they hadn't consulted is really bad.  I haven't sent my objection letter yet, as the deadline has been extended and I wanted to see the result of all the FOI requests.  Now this has come up, I'll be making a meal of this point.  Whoever saw fit to misrepresent two public bodies like this, and use public money to do so, should face disciplinary action.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #88 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:02:14 pm »

But I thought that HE didn't have a specific problem with time-trialling, but want the ban on general safety grounds. How many tragic incidents have occurred specifically to time triallists on the V?

One, in 2013.  Hardly a mass slaughter, is it?

« Reply #89 on: 07 March, 2018, 07:00:46 pm »
I remain convinced that Highways England have - for reasons best known to themselves - chosen the A63 as a test case for their stated aim of converting much of the Strategic Roads Network into Expressways which would exclude cyclists.
If you look at page 17 of this weighty pdf at   https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/666884/Highways_England_Strategic_Road_Network_Initial_Report_-_WEB.pdf    you'll see this : "As we build toward transforming our busiest A-roads into expressway corridors, such provision will allow us to safely segregate these vulnerable road users from high speed motor vehicles." which is exactly what the A63 scheme is intending to do. The same page includes a lot of non-specific, weasel-worded aspirations to "improving connectivity on and around the network for non-drivers....." with no hint of any specifics.

Naturally the idea of Expressways has given some of the motoring folk a bit of a hard-on. There's lots of discussion (some of it extremely anal regarding signposting and numbering) on the SABRE forum at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38400    It's a huge thread but there's a few gems in there.
For 'road anoraks' the SABRE site is generally very good value.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #90 on: 07 March, 2018, 09:03:37 pm »

One, in 2013.  Hardly a mass slaughter, is it?

According to Crashmap

1 pedal cycle death on the A63 bit  in the last 10 years. (7 in the Hull area.)
4 car deaths on the route. All near South Cave - Brantingham, which is where the cycle death was. (43 in the Hull area)
No goods vehicles, motorbike or bus deaths. (12 motorbike, 12 goods vehicle, 5 bus)

The deaths are all in one area. Looks like a behaviour in one area issue.

Let's find a sledgehammer!
It is simpler than it looks.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #91 on: 07 March, 2018, 10:24:29 pm »
Highways England have misrepresented both East Yorkshire County Council, and Hull City Council on their public documents. To claim they had the support of both organisations, when in fact they hadn't spoken to either, is either lazy, misguided, or outright fraudulent. Their proposal ought to fail for this simple reason alone, and is perhaps open to a legal challenge if they try to push ahead.

The fact that EYCC have come out in support after the fact is not surprising. EYCC are supportive of cycling in the region, they've made some significant improvements and introduced 40mph limits on some country lanes where walkers, cyclists and horse riders are often found. They do want to improve cycling infrastructure but like many people, they see roads like the A63 as unsuitable to cycle on. Most people seem to think that cycling on the A63 is stupid... Sadly they are missing the point by a wide margin. There are loads of times when the A63 is quiet, few people see this for exactly the reason it is quiet... They aren't there.

I'm objecting to this on the grounds that I use the A63 at times when I make an informed decision that it is safe for me to ride. Others do the same. There is no reason to ban us "for our own safety".

I don't know if any of these objections will work. The weight of public opinion and "common sense" is against us. We are a minority and if we're inconvenienced it is of no consequence to Highways England or the council or the police. After all... we don't pay road tax. #SimmeringFrustration.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #92 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »
See, This is how I read it

At the time of your writing, East Riding of Yorkshire Council had not been formally consulted on the proposal.  However, discussions have now taken place and a formal response has been sent to Highways England as set out below:
Nobody spoke to us.
We don't include it on our versions of cycle journey planners, cycle signage, or any of our cycle training schemes etc (I can see that the italics suggest that there is always an alternative route, but alternative does not mean desirable or usefully usable, and also further down in the letter they say there is room for improvement of the existing cycling facilities)
We've mis-understood the Highways England submission and think it's all about stopping racing cycling. Also, we don't want to piss off the police either, so we'll say something placating about respect. We didn't bother to check how many deaths were as a result of TTing.
Motor vehicle incidents frequently cause delays. (I paraphrase this bit, but they'd be daft to suggest that cyclists and horse riders are frequently involved in incidents along here) This is the reason why...
If Highways England agree to upgrade it to an Expressway, then we will support the TRO. It's kind of blank about which order the TRO and the improved alternatives along the corridor would be constructed in, but IIRC then banning non vehicular traffic as a result of upgrading a road (rather than just applying for a TRO) requires alternative measures are put in place at the same time as the upgrade.
The drawings are a bit shit.

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #93 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:29:29 pm »
We would like confirmation that the order will not affect overbridges, the cycle facilities already constructed alongside sections of the route or the two way sections of the slip roads at Hessle and North Cave junctions.  This appears to be clear in the wording of the order but some of the drawings may need clarification.

My bold, I'm confused, it's my understanding that a TRO applies to a highway between designated points. The highway is defined as the edge to the edge, it includes the verges and the pavement and the cycle route. I stand to be corrected but I'm fairly certain that once you designate a highway an expressway then peds, cyclists, horseists, things less than 125cc (??) engine are prohibited entirely from the highway, you just can't just say the bit that the cars use.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #94 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Dr Bunbury
Bunbury Towers
Wildeville
7/3/2018

Director, Ops Directorate (Yorkshire and N.E.), Highways England
3rd Floor South , Lateral, 8 City Walk
Leeds LS11 9AT

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to you concerning the A63 Trunk Road (North Cave Interchange to Daltry Street Interchange) (Prohibition of Cyclists) Order, currently in its consultation phase. I was highly concerned to read of the proposal to ban cyclists from this section of the A63.  As a regular user of the road, both by motor vehicle and pedal cycle, I wish to register my strong objection to the proposal, which is based on several flawed premises and lines of reasoning.

The statement of reasons for the proposed TRO cites six incidents involving cyclists in five years, including one fatality. This is a very low figure, much lower than for many of the roads nearby in the region, or indeed in the country  Please therefore:

•   State what threshold frequency of incidents triggers you to seek such a TRO.
•   Justify why this threshold is appropriate for a ban on cyclists - when as noted, by UK road standards the A63 is actually very safe.
•   List the chain of actions you have so far taken in the course of cyclist risk reduction, before taking the extreme last resort of banning a class of user from a general purpose road.
•   Show your analysis as to whether other user groups in addition to cyclists are placed at risk on the road, and your plans for improving their safety.
•   Show your risk analysis of the alternative routes proposed for cyclists.  Since this TRO is ostensibly about cyclist safety, and there are many roads in the region that have experienced more than the solitary fatality on the A63 this century, please justify that you are not pushing cyclists onto roads that are more dangerous than the A63 itself.
•   Show that you are applying this policy consistently, by providing incident statistics for the other roads you manage, showing your course of action for each road that falls above the threshold.
•   State why such a policy exists, and how it is within your remit to impose a blanket ban on road users from general purpose roads.  If you are applying a policy of removal of cyclists or indeed any other user group on a national scale, this counts as a change in purpose of a whole raft of general purpose roads, and should be debated in parliament. 
•   Justify how a policy to remove people’s ability to cycle on general purpose routes at such a low, and unremarkable threshold of risk, fits with Highways England’s cycling policy of “identifying, prioritising and investing in ways to improve cycling conditions”.
•   Alternatively, if no such policy and data exists, justify why you have taken an un-evidenced and ad-hoc approach to road safety. 

Please note that I will not accept any responses that justify cyclist risk with reference to anything other than casualty and collision statistics.  As a professional scientist I am used to working with evidence and probability; I note that the resolution to which a risk can be determined - the ‘standard error of the mean’ – improves with sample size.  Cyclists have used the A63 for many years, so ample data exists to calculate risk based on evidence rather than supposition.  Any safety concerns based on fear of future collisions, not on evidence from past use, are therefore invalid: e.g. high speeds may worry some, but the low collision rate shows that the road is well able to handle the speeds and is a safe place to cycle.

Further to this, the statement of reasons states that “Cyclists are travelling on a carriageway that carries average speeds of 65mph” as justification for this ban. Notwithstanding the fallacy of arguing a safety case based on average speeds – as discussed above – 65 mph is within 5 mph of the national speed limit for both single and dual carriageways outside towns. I fail to see why a car doing 65 mph near Melton is any more dangerous that a car doing 65 mph anywhere else in the UK. Please therefore:

•   Explain to me why a 65 mph speed is more dangerous on the A63 than on hundreds of other roads where cyclists are permitted to ride, and hence why it uniquely justifies banning cyclists on a twelve mile stretch of the A63, and not on every extra-urban A and B road in England.

Your traffic count data also gives me reason for grave concern at the lack of thoroughness with which this TRO proposal has been written.  Traffic counts of over 2500 vehicles per hour are cited in the statement of reasons; however, the annual average daily flow (AADF) for CP 56635 was last counted as 691 vehicles per hour - four times lower than the figure you cited - which is especially baffling given that most cyclists do not use the road at peak use times.  Please therefore:

•   Provide evidence to support the assertion that the road carries traffic four times in excess of the AADF figure.  If you have used a peak flow figure, correlate it with the cyclist traffic count to show that a peak rather than an average vehicle count is relevant to cyclists using the road.

Finally, the statement of reasons claims that “East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Kingston upon Hull City Council and Humberside Police support this proposal”. Freedom of information requests have since revealed that the first two of those bodies were never consulted. This means that Highways England has misused public money to willfully misrepresent not one but two other public bodies, in an attempt to support one of its own measures. This double misrepresentation is a gravely serious matter, which I believe is amply sufficient to warrant disciplinary action against the culprits.  Please therefore:

•   Assure me that a full-scale investigation is being conducted to uncover the source of the misinformation, and that the full extent of your disciplinary policy will be used to reprimand those responsible and ensure this shameful misinformation-based approach is not used again.

I do not believe that ill-evidenced schemes such as this one are a good use of public money.  I request that you respond to each of the objections I have bulleted above, and that you consider them when assessing the TRO proposal.  I sincerely hope that the ensuing action is to scrap the proposal, as it is unjustifiable based on from crash statistics and average speeds, it cites inaccurate traffic counts, it misrepresents other public bodies and it lacks any analysis of alternative solutions.  This proposal serves no purpose other than to needlessly curtail some taxpayers’ legal, safe and harmless desire to transport themselves from place to place along general purpose roads.

Yours sincerely
Dr B

« Reply #95 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:53:19 pm »

•   Explain to me why a 65 mph speed is more dangerous on the A63 than on hundreds of other roads where cyclists are permitted to ride, and hence why it uniquely justifies banning cyclists on a twelve mile stretch of the A63, and not on every extra-urban A and B road in England.

Permission is not required for cyclists riding on any public road.  On some roads, cycling is prohibited by TRO.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #96 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »

Permission is not required for cyclists riding on any public road.  On some roads, cycling is prohibited by TRO.
What's your point?

« Reply #97 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:52:58 pm »
Last day to register your objection online on the Cycling UK site; on Monday they're going to deliver all the hardcopies to HE by cargo bike - over 9K so far...

https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/20163/action/1

(Karla, that is a most excellent grinking letter - I will confess to merely modifying the CUK sample provided)

« Reply #98 on: 21 March, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
From TTF:

"
Yorkshire DC voted to suspend all events on the V718 / V728 and V718/1 pending talks with HE, Humberside Police, ERYCC and HCC relating to future use of the course.
The reason given was that they did not want to put at risk any possible future use developments if we were seen to be flying against the stated feelings of these groups.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #99 on: 10 May, 2018, 12:36:38 pm »
Has there been any update on this yet?