Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3898743 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22225 on: 16 December, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »
First time in almost 7 weeks, since my off.  A 10.9k loop on the old MTB runabout in streetclothes as recumbent still off the road, and roadbike on the turbo and I ddn't want to make it anything special. 

I found a position that was no more than a mild ache in the pelvis, but that was not at all good on the back, right hamstring and ITB, or neck/shoulders.  Moving in the right direction.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22226 on: 19 December, 2018, 02:22:34 pm »
Set out thinking to get a ride in between showers. Was wrong.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #22227 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:20:40 pm »
Yay! Out on the roadbike today.

A mahoosive 27km at 25km/h.  Into the wind/out of the saddle/uphill all impacted on the pelvis, but not to the extent of being ride stopping.  I think this was partly lack of real use over the last 2 months.  Shoulders/neck and lower back were unhappy

Despite having effectively 2 months off including my two week stint in Saudi, I'm only 94km short of last year's total which was my best ever  Will try and get that in before the end of the year.  Until my accident I was averaging a little over 100km a week.

« Reply #22228 on: 19 December, 2018, 06:28:38 pm »

Clearly you did get out in between, you just got the phase wrong.

« Reply #22229 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:13:46 pm »
Chrismas card run out to Finchampstead via Windsor and sherlock row. About 40 miles round trip  .a short shower on the way back but it didn't spoil the fun   :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22230 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:51:58 am »

Clearly you did get out in between, you just got the phase wrong.

Nah, I screwed up on the wavelength: a few spots tailing off on starting but the next lot reached max amplitude at about halfway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22231 on: 20 December, 2018, 06:36:28 pm »
I went to Dinton pastores with jonathen notp. He was very slow and when it got dark he said he could not see where he was going and was all over the road so we stopped and called his wife to come and rescue him. I then rode home. I managed 38 miles in all today. My right knee has started hurting on the way back and I covered it in ibroproin gel and am hoping it settles down   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22232 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:39:10 pm »
Hope your knee feels better cycleman.

The duck and I caught the train to Brighton to meet with the Brighton and Hove Clarion. Well, more accurately, we missed the train to Brighton and missed the B & H Clarion. We gave chase, finding out just before we reached Rottingdene that they had gone on the top route and we had followed the undercliff. We re-routed and caught them. We rode to a cafe with a sort of country park with a great playground that the duck thoroughly enjoyed, despite standing knee deep in a puddle at one point. We continued towards Newhaven and were just walking up the last hill before the descent into the town when I discovered that my front tyre was completely flat. The Marathon was resistant to being removed (it had been there nearly 7 years, after all), but was finally persuaded. Whilst I and one of the gentlemen replaced the tube and reassembled the bike, the duck organised two ladies, not in the first flush of their youth, into playing hopscotch on the paving and then into practicing parkour, jumping off fences. We finally completed the run into Newhaven where the others retired to a restaurant for lunch and The duck and I made our way to the station. It was a lovely day out, mishaps notwithstanding.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #22233 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:51:06 pm »
Saltdean or Peacehaven for the playground out of interest? Or somewhere else entirely? Trying to work out of I've been in the same place back when I was a sprog.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22234 on: 20 December, 2018, 10:38:34 pm »
We rode to a cafe with a sort of country park with a great playground that the duck thoroughly enjoyed, despite standing knee deep in a puddle at one point.

I'm feeling cold just reading about that!

« Reply #22235 on: 21 December, 2018, 02:39:46 pm »
Saltdean or Peacehaven for the playground out of interest? Or somewhere else entirely? Trying to work out of I've been in the same place back when I was a sprog.

Looking at the map, it was Peacehaven. Somewhere out towards something that is marked as a reservoir on the Explorer map. It seemed pretty modern and funky, with tubes to drum, sand to lay in and a zip wire.

We rode to a cafe with a sort of country park with a great playground that the duck thoroughly enjoyed, despite standing knee deep in a puddle at one point.

I'm feeling cold just reading about that!

I did have spare socks and trousers with me, having met my son previously. And, to be fair, he gets his approach to water from me - I once went swimming in the sea fully dressed on a school outing and had to sit in damp clothes all the way back on the train.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22236 on: 21 December, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »
today was the local CTC DA x-mas ride. very windy indeed, with some fierce gusts, but we still managed to bash out 68km, and in the pub by 1.30, with a tea stop.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22237 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »
You still have a DA? Stuff to do!  :thumbsup: Or are you just using retroterms?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22238 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:29:57 pm »

Looking at the map, it was Peacehaven. Somewhere out towards something that is marked as a reservoir on the Explorer map. It seemed pretty modern and funky, with tubes to drum, sand to lay in and a zip wire.

I can see two reservoirs in Peacehaven, one to the north and a second to the east by the golf course. However there is also a country park near the shiny relatively new sewage works.

« Reply #22239 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:10:47 pm »

I can see two reservoirs in Peacehaven, one to the north and a second to the east by the golf course. However there is also a country park near the shiny relatively new sewage works.

That may be it. My map is not very recent.

« Reply #22240 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:46:18 pm »
I have to admit i was not just looking at the 1:25k on streetmap but also the water companies plans that show where the reservoirs actually are.

« Reply #22241 on: 22 December, 2018, 11:32:51 am »
Further investigation with Google maps tells me that it is the Gateway cafe up Piddinghoe Avenue.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22242 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:33:50 pm »
It was 40km. Every one of them a gem.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22243 on: 22 December, 2018, 06:26:38 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #22244 on: 23 December, 2018, 07:15:07 pm »
Thought about it, looked at it, it was grim

turbo'd instead.  Pelvis OK enough, back still borked

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #22245 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:31:46 pm »
Went out this morning for a bit of a trundle round the lanes, which has become a bit of a Christmas Day tradition for me. Out from York to Wighill and Tadcaster, then Ulleskelf and Ryther to Cawood for a quick snack stop (Out of the saddlebag, the shop in Cawood being closed! Don't know why?!?)
From Cawood it was back to York through Stillingfleet and Naburn, where I picked up the old railway cycle path back to my side of town.

46km on a reasonable day weather wise, not much wind and even had the sun breaking through the clouds occasionally.

Have a good day, wherever you are and whatever your personal beliefs!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #22246 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »
Working 2-10pm today, so took the opportunity to do an extended commute in to work. 35 miles of very pleasant cycling on deserted roads and now focusing on post ride nutrition in an equally deserted office!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22247 on: 25 December, 2018, 04:31:11 pm »
HK and I trundled out to join a Christmas Day ride but managed to get lost on the way to the start and instead rode as whim took us. I've never ridden under the Thames before but there was nobody else to get flustered about rules in the Woolwich Tunnel (my first time through it). Mostly we toddled gently along the Thames Path south side before a Beirut Cafe lunch and a slow waddle home.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22248 on: 25 December, 2018, 04:51:53 pm »
A gentle potter to Beigel Bake on Brick Lane (open every day of the year) for light lunch then over a surprisingly crowded Tower Bridge to do our shift in the Crisis warehouse.

« Reply #22249 on: 25 December, 2018, 05:17:36 pm »
HK and I trundled out to join a Christmas Day ride but managed to get lost on the way to the start and instead rode as whim took us. I've never ridden under the Thames before but there was nobody else to get flustered about rules in the Woolwich Tunnel (my first time through it). Mostly we toddled gently along the Thames Path south side before a Beirut Cafe lunch and a slow waddle home.
Perhaps presumptious  of me, but if you were heading for the Southwark Cyclists Christmas Day Ride, I think it is a few years since they've hosted that.
They're hosting a Boxing Day Ride tomorrow:
https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/events/boxing-day-healthy-ride/
I plan to be on it, but I don't think it is of the same calibre as the late Barry Mason's Christmas Day rides with the finish in a middle eastern restaurant in Edgware Road.