Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 159808 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #875 on: 28 July, 2010, 05:27:30 pm »
I would like to speak up on behalf of the poor defenceless earwigs which have been greatly maligned by the uninitiated on this thread.

Did you know that the mother earwig looks after her young? Bees, wasps and ants aside, how many other insects do that? Pretty endearing I'd say.

As for flying, they can but mostly choose not to! So they are environmentally responsible as well.

And these earwigs live all the year round behind Dunwich Beach. That, in my view, makes them insects of impeccable taste.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #876 on: 28 July, 2010, 05:27:58 pm »
The machines are good, but the organisation that sells them in the UK is crooked to the core.

...which is what I discovered when researching them while looking for a new hoover.  I'd borrowed a friend's a while ago and been impressed by the performance and no-nonsense engineering with actual metal rather than the snappy plastic you tend to get on Dysons etc.  Bought a relatively recent second-hand one on eBay from someone who was finding it a bit too heavy (their major technical failing, it seems), and am generally enjoying actual suction and not having to faff about with coathangers to unclog U-shaped plastic pipes.

« Reply #877 on: 28 July, 2010, 05:51:04 pm »
The degree of earwig infestation seems to depend on where you put your tent.  I saw when someone lifted up their tent that there was a huge mass of them underneath it, when I moved mine I didn't see any.

I think I've found one in my pannier so far, and that was when I first opened my pannier after getting back.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #878 on: 28 July, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »
I had none in my actual tent, which I'd kept zipped up, but all the stuff I'd left outside was crawling with the little darlings.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #879 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »
I love earwigs.  They mean me no harm (and do me none), although the harm I inflicted on one was an important turning point in my life.

They may be irritating (I found two in my shirt at work on Monday, which were in addition to the other two which had crawled into it on the line or in the laundry basket), but they are fascinating.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #880 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:57:21 pm »
I thought I'd pitched on an earwig nest, but earwigs don't have nests, just seething pinchy infestations...

I haven't dared unpack my tent.  Not until I get a frikken laser.  I've got too many bug screams left inside me. :o
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #881 on: 29 July, 2010, 03:39:44 pm »
Earwigs are fairly benign. Better than cockroaches, say. Guess what crawled out of Mrs Cudzo's suitcase into her brother's Warsaw flat on our return from India...

Edit: before anyone else points it out, yes, this is one of the environmental hazards of flying. The cabin crew are supposed to spray an insecticide just before landing in the cabins of planes arriving from da tropikz, but they don't always bother, and I don't suppose anything gets done to hold luggage. One solitary German cockroach (don't know the species that lives in Asia is called German, but apparently it is) won't do much harm, though. Whereas all the bacteria living in the mud I brought back on my bike...

Ok, back to Dunwich.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #882 on: 30 July, 2010, 09:44:48 am »
I notice (from perusing the press cuttings at work) that a certain illustrious flame-haired ordinary-riding chapess gets a mention in a letter to the Dunmow Broadcast & Recorder about the Dunwich Dynamo....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #883 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:41:34 am »
I notice (from perusing the press cuttings at work) that a certain illustrious flame-haired ordinary-riding chapess gets a mention in a letter to the Dunmow Broadcast & Recorder about the Dunwich Dynamo....

Hmm, I can't find anything on their website.  Details man, details!
Actually, it is rocket science.

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #884 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:56:02 am »
I collected my belongings from Terry's earlier today.....  OMG :sick: :sick: :sick: The bags were infested with earwigs, they were even inside the Weetabix.  I won't describe the mess inside the tupperware container that still housed cous cous, goats cheese and something green.  The smell was quite like nothing I have ever come across before. :sick: :sick:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #885 on: 30 July, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
I would like to speak up on behalf of the poor defenceless earwigs

As for flying, they can but mostly choose not to! So they are environmentally responsible as well.

POTD !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #886 on: 30 July, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »
I won't describe the mess inside the tupperware container that still housed cous cous, goats cheese and something green. 

Delicious as it was, I couldn't quite eat it *all*.   ;D   _burp_
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #887 on: 30 July, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Whoops, we should really have emptied that tub out.

Sorry your loveliness, will be more thoughtful next time.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #888 on: 30 July, 2010, 02:14:30 pm »
Jeez I'm not liking the look of those earwigs  :o
* Feline note to self make sure get a bug proof tent if camping at Dunwich in the future

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #889 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »
some photos are at Picasa, lightly captioned.  I'll link some inline to my ride report up thread later on.
[Thank you oakey for posting the photos, I belive a trip to Jessops is required for a full service of your camera, as every photo with me blurs to make my stomach look far bigger than it really is!!!!]
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #890 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:33:28 pm »
some photos are at Picasa, lightly captioned.  I'll link some inline to my ride report up thread later on.
[Thank you oakey for posting the photos, I belive a trip to Jessops is required for a full service of your camera, as every photo with me blurs to make my stomach look far bigger than it really is!!!!]
[[Thank you oakey for posting the photos, I belive a trip to Jessops is required for a full service of your camera, as every photo with me blurs to make my stomach look far bigger than it really is!!!!]/quote]
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #891 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:24:10 pm »
Thank you oakey for posting the photos, I belive a trip to Jessops is required for a full service of your camera, as every photo with me blurs to make my stomach look far bigger than it really is!!!!]

It's probably a setting hidden deep in one of the camera menus.  It does that to me sometimes too ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #892 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »
Firstly apologies to Annie for not seeing her and saying hello at the finish.

My participation this year became a dilemma of I enjoyed it greatly last year so wanted to take part versus on Saturday morning being told that I had secured a job interview on the Monday pm.

So I took part, rushed from one end to the other, arrived about 630am after departing cotemporally with Team Slow; turned round after a swift icelolly and grabbed a lift back to Ipswich from Snape; went to bed for a few hours; studied Malting and its use of IT; and did the interview (which went okish).

I don't think I got the job and I regret rushing the ride. However, all things in life are opportunities to learn, and I am where I am.

I did enjoy the massed departure from London; it seemed less aggressive this year, maybe the heat was less oppressive. One exception, the black saloon car that overtook not just the cycles but the queue of traffic as well on the outside of a blind left hand bend.

Only 3 minutes of rain in the early morning. Enough to stop some to put on macs; I was lucky, the rain stopped just when I had become wet enough to make putting on a mac counter-productive.

Did anyone else see the topless man, bulky tattooed chest and arms, leather trousers?

Here's to next year. I will still run that Hope clickety click hub; and a new job willing, a dynamo on the front hub.

Craig