Author Topic: Monmouthshire meander  (Read 1114 times)

simonp

Monmouthshire meander
« on: 02 December, 2016, 10:08:50 am »
Don't think I've ever finished a 200k in December (only started one, a DIY and retreated due to ice). Anyone else?

Will be staying at Cardiff East Premier Inn to avoid a very early start.

Re: Monmouthshire meander
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:16:51 am »
I am in.Ice  unlikely to be a problem the easterly wind will make it feel cold though. I am taking a few extra layers to put on.
I did this one a few years ago its quite a fast route .(Unless you have slow legs,like mine)

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2016, 08:27:50 pm »
That climb over to Shirenewton seemed rather gratuitous. Not as cold as expected, dry, ice free. Thought Toby was surprisingly slow the realised he had ice tyres on.

I didn't eat any control food again - espresso or black coffee every time. Staved off the bonk but had a sneaky red bull with 9 miles to go. Hillier than expected, but not too fixed unfriendly.

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2016, 10:40:24 pm »
Another great ride, thanks to Kath and Tony for organising.

. Only spotted one bit of ice in some puddles in a layby all the roads were fine.

The climb over to ShireNewton seems to go on and on. But once over the top its downhill or flat most of the way home.

All good controls except the Garden centre on the way back . 4 of us on a table and they cocked up 3 of our orders. Not a bad goal average that.
They even served me a pot of tea with no water in it.The tea bag was quite tasty. ::-)

By contrast the Village Hotel staff at the arrivee couldn't be more helpful and pleasant they even put on a couple of dancing girls in grass skirts and bikinis to keep us amused. honest or was I just seeing things ;D

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2016, 11:10:25 pm »
That was... different.